Help me make a final decision!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

talmania

Jan 4, 2013
Hey all--I'm about ready to pull my hair out trying to make a decision on a new switch and looking to others for feedback.

My goals are the following:
1) get additional 1gb ports (currently using old netgear 8-port desktop switch plus 4 ports on router)
2) get a minimum of 2-10g SFP+ (or older variants) for NAS & esxi server
3) learn a new skillset
4) keep it under $300 (preferably 150-200 but I'm open to invest a bit for more flexibility)
5) not be too loud--all my equipment is in the garage with a Norco 4220 and a T610 so it's not quiet there but anything I can do to not exacerbate the situation would be nice.

I'm considering:
1) Cisco 3560E-48TD-S with X2-10g (2x) included @ $139 on ebay here: Cisco Catalyst 3560E-48TD Gigabit Switch 48-Port 2x X2-10GB-SR 1x PWS 1x FAN | eBay Pro's: 48 ports and 2x 10g with the X2 module included. Learn Cisco CLI. Con's: Have to buy SC to LC cables (cheap) but I already have SC to SC. Noise?? Oldest model. No GUI.
2) Cisco 3750E-24TD-S with option for X2-10g @ $98.00 on natex here: Cisco WS-3750E Switch - Networking Equipment - Natex.us Pro's: Newer model, Learn Cisco CLI, lower power/noise? Cheapest option. Con's: 24 ports vs 48. Separate X2 purchase and SC-LC cables. No gui.
3) Quanta LB6M @ $249.00 here: Quanta LB6M 10GBe 24-Port SFP+ Switch L2 Dual PS w/ Rack Ears 4x Uplink | eBay Pro's: 24 ports of SFP+ for future expansion Con's: Noise, No Cisco CLI learning, would need to buy SFP transceivers for Ethernet runs. No GUI.
4) Ubiquiti US-16-XG Beta @ $299.00 Pros: New model, 12x SFP+ and 4 10G RJ-45 ports. Would integrate with UBT AP's I'm eyeing in the future. Management portal/GUI. Low noise. Cons: Most expensive, have to purchase SFP's for Ethernet, No Cisco CLI, Beta offering.

So that's about where I stand currently and I'm thinking this might be a two phased approach with a cisco switch then a further 10g expansion down the road perhaps. Am I way off base on any of the above thinking?

Curious to hear from others that have been recently faced with a similar decision and what direction you ended up taking?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice, recommendations, and thoughts!

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
If you want to keep the noise and/or power use down, and don't mind the upfront cost, I'd go with the Ubiquiti. It's a nice product, supported, and has the options you seem to need. It's lower power and noise. You need the transceivers with any SFP+ switch, so that's a wash.. For the Ciscos, make sure you can source the 10G parts and they will work. That can be tricky with older gear. I would also check to make sure any 10G ports are not stacking-only and will work connected to a single machine.

If you want to keep cost lower, don't mind more power and noise, and only need 2 10G ports, consider the Quanta LB4M. 48 1G, 2 10G. I'm running one now and have been pretty happy with it. Most of my network cannot support 10G, so it's a good choice for me.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
In fanless and power consumption an issue ?
Layer 2 or full layer 3 required ?

I have been looking recently for Low power fanless layer 3 and not much out there, Cisco SG300, Cisco 3560 in lower port counts do come fanless.

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
I recommended you use the solution4, Ubiquiti US-16-XG Beta. I have bought this switch and bought some moduel from FS. Although this solution is a little expensive, they'are working fantastically.

talmania

Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for the feedback all. I think I'm going the Ubiquiti route. I'm certain I want their AP's so being able to tie that management in is attractive.

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
@talmania, the us-16-xg is no longer, $299 thought, right? I just checked and it's listed at $600 at the ubiquiti website.
Yes, the price is no more $299. Pretty sure you missed the boat on that beta sale but something tells me the final retail version won't be $599. That switch was the first product offered via the beta program and it wasn't until the price was dropped that people began buying them. I think that hardware was available for the better part of a month before the price drop. Ubiquiti would be foolish to ignore that bit of feedback.

talmania

Jan 4, 2013
Thanks--I'm back to the drawing board with the beta unit no longer available.

I've considered the Mikrotiks but my understanding is they are woefully underpowered and can't do simple things like link aggregation.

At this point I'm leaning quantum lb6m and doing some fan mods.