LSI 3008 SW Controller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WhosTheBosch

Dec 20, 2016
Sorry if this is a bit rambling, it's my first time with using onboard SAS.

I'm putting together a small server and buying the Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F and I was going to utilize the onboard LSI 3008 SAS controller. My plan was to get two Hitatchi He10 8TB SAS 4KN hard drives and PCI pass through (DDA) them via a Hyper-V host to a Windows 2016 Server. There I was going to setup Storage Spaces in RAID 1. I wanted a software RAID 1 so I could take a drive out and read it from another computer if needed.

1) I'm somewhat new to virtualization, would I run into any problems setting up that Storage Spaces?

2) Would it be easier to do with SATA drives?

3) Would it be more reliable with SATA drives?

4) Is there a battery backup or cache with the 3008? I can't find it in the manual.

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
LSI 3008 series HBA is excellent (12Gbps). Those Hitachi drives are known good SAS drives. SAS drives are undoubtably generally considered 'better/more reliable' drives than sata, higher queue depths as well typically. No experience w/ M$ SSD so I'll leave that part to others to answer.

Last edited:

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Why don't you just setup storage spaces on the Hyper-V host?
No need to passthrough the drives to windows server.

I've used the 3008 controller to setup a Hyper-V Server 2016 host using Storage Spaces (tiered storage of 2SSD in RAID1 +4HDD in RAID10) and it works fine.