Cheap/Ghetto remote managed PDU?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
I'v been considering a way to get a cheap remote managed PDU or so for my upcoming reuse-vmware-vsan-setup.

I'v been browsing ebay, but all seem to be either in the US, or new (and therefore expensive).. I have very little knowledge about PDU's and power in general so this is new grounds for me.

Has anyone made any sort of ghetto solutions? Or does anyone have any brands/models that would give me 5-8 plugs that can be remote powered on/off via some sort of web console or so.

Kal G

Oct 29, 2014
I assume you need one supporting 220V? What type of plug are you looking to use, CEE or DK 2-5a?

maze

Apr 27, 2013
@dba - doesnt seem to be available many other places than the US from what I can just see - price seems nice though

@Kal G - 220v yes, i'd love a normal DK 2-5a plug - but CEE can be done aswell if needed

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I have used AP7920's for what you are talking about in the US and international, just get a set of C13/C14 cables to power your stuff and then your local plug to C13 computer power code to power it.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
A cheap hack might involve a Raspberry Pi/ Arduino or similar and an 8 channel SSR board plus wiring and some remote control/ web server libraries. Without a fair bit of extra work you'll not be able to monitor outlet current, but you should at least be able to remote power your gear with it :)

I would still think though that an APC PDU would be your best option, even if it costs a bit more :)

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I would still think though that an APC PDU would be your best option, even if it costs a bit more :)
Watch out for the AP9210 and AP9211 models - these have a well-known universal factory back-door password in them. You could probably put an AP9617 card in the slot on an AP9211 and have it work (flash the RPDU firmware), but I've never done it - the combination of those 2 devices costs more than a decent AP79xx unit.

Reactions: pricklypunter

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
As Terry has already mentioned, the older APC Switched PDU's are not the most secure things in the world. That being said, for an isolated home lab network they would work just fine. Just need to find the one with the right configuration for your needs.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I think the 9606 was the mgmt card they used as standard on the 9211's :)
Yup, and they made it a slot so you could change it. The Ap9617 is the newer card that can be flashed with the RPDU firmware and install in there. Only makes sense if you have both laying around, though.

The 9210 used the AP9605 card sandwich, but without the slot so there's no good way to upgrade.

Note that these units are insecure via all access methods, including the console cable.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Thanks for the input guys. Power isnt really my strong side, so really much apreciate the feedback and knowledge :)

Thanks @Letzki gonna try and grab one of those I think

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Is the AP9721 ( couple of bucks more from the same seller) a useful upgrade from the 9720??

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
i use 7920, getting the right mgmt-cable (if not included), resetting, accessing first time and upgrading the units is a bit pita but then they just run.

still have 1 Unit left to do this procedure, can make a short writedown if interested.

upgrading the fw is absolute must, as they might not work together for outlet groups with mixed fw. also, the older gui is dead slow.

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
What is special about the cable? Just form or specific pinout?
APC is really bizarre with their cables - they usually use non-standard connectors (or sometimes standard connectors with odd pin-outs) and refuse to tell anyone the pinout, despite it being obvious to anyone with a cable and a multimeter. The AP79xx use a RJ12 (6-pin modular) connector on one end and a normal 9-pin serial on the other. Some of the newer stuff like the AP9331 use a micro-headphone jack. Probably the most bizarre one is the cable with an RJ45 on one end and a USB-A on the other.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
You need Part No 940 0144A for 7920

This UK based seller on eBay has them, they build custom cables. I paid ca. 10 Euro and it took some days:

dish39 auf eBay

Better would be to get a unit incl. the cables if you buy used.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
'ARP stuff' that biznitch :-D (google ARP stuffing)
this is for sure one more reason to put things like pdu on a separate, well protected network ..

tried to assign via ARP, too but had used units that for some reason didn't really jump onto this train ... or me was just doing smth wrong / was not patient enough as they respond really slow to a lot of things or smth. that is expected to work on first try maybe works when doing ist two or three times.