Supermicro 64 GB SATA DOM (SSD-DM064-PHI) - $59.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Thanks for all the info... probably not for me after reading through the link above. My 160gb s3500's were only ~$35/ea, and doesn't seem I'd get any incremental benefit over those. Neat little devices, though!
These are invaluable if one want's to use the SFF or LFF Bays for something else than a bootdevice ... If you have enough free bays guess there is no need for a DOM to boot from.

Reactions: sno.cn

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Nice price for those too - am using 325's (160) for the same purpose (and price). _Alex's price would have been ok for me though if he hadn't taken all of them :p
Sorry for getting the whole lot - but was looking for some quite long now and it simply was too tempting :D
I have also considered an adapter for msata to get my bays back and bootdrives somehow on the internal sata-ports :eek:

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I've SATA DOMs from InnoDisk, both 8GB in my SM servers and they've been working flawlessly. As mentioned above it's really invaluable for me since i use SM 826 chassis with 12 3.5" bays and really need those bays to 3.5" HDD for storage purposes.
Recently, i've bought some of these Emphase G5 Enterprise mSATA SSD - 32 GB - NEW | eBay to be paired with mSATA SSD to USB 3.0 Converter Adapter ASM1153E Chip Support UASP SATA 6G Speed | eBay. This can be used with MBs without support for DOM power.
Will see how my plan goes when i receive the ordered items and test it inside a server system :)

EDIT: My aplogies, but my attribution goes to Robert for giving me the idea of USB to mSATA adapters from the other m.2 SSD thread! And yes, i've seen the mSATA to SATA DOM adapter from Amazon too, but a bit pricey for me with shipping atm, but have it in my mind :) And also been thinking about the height of it, hopefully that will fit chassis of 2U and up.

I can't help but wonder if something like this could be used for a SATA DOM application:
(Amazon.com: Lycom 171s (mSATA to SATA DOM -Disk on Module- Adapter): Computers & Accessories)

Or in the case of using internal USB
(mSATA SSD to USB 3.0 Converter Adapter ASM1153E Chip Support UASP SATA 6G Speed | eBay), as I suspect the mSATA drives would be faster (in many cases) and have a greater number of write cycles.

Just a thought keeping upgrade, space increase, ... in mind.

Last edited:

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
I have been seriously considering using the mSATA adapters myself as right now I am using an adapter that holds two SSD drives (Amazon.com: Kingwin KW-PCI2H25 HDD / SSD Mounting Bracket for PCI Slot Specifications: Computers & Accessories) but makes the wiring a bit more ugly and you may need the PCIe slot.

I prefer something like this (Amazon.com: Lycom 171s (mSATA to SATA DOM -Disk on Module- Adapter): Computers & Accessories) if you can afford to use the SATA DOM connections for the os, as I feel it will be more flexible (prices dropping on mSATA) in the future and make for a much cleaner implementation. The only issue I see with this adapter is the height, as I don't see how it would fit in a 1U case unless you got creative and did some type of side mounting willing to deal with the wiring and power. FYI, I posted a link to this adapter in another thread.

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
Before I forget, what occurred to me is you can get something like this (mainboard Internal USB 3.0 20pin female to 2-port USB 3.0 A female card adapter | eBay) to add more storage (or perhaps distribute some functionality from the os, or provide cheap backup) in addition to the USB converter fossexplorer mentioned above, as often the internal USB connection goes unused.

Again, the height of the adapters might be an issue (depending on the case) so something like this (2 Port USB 3.0 A Type Female to Female 20 Pin Y Cable Box Header Slot Adapter | eBay) if willing to affix to the side of the case (perhaps an enclosed adapter), or something like this (USB 3.0 19-Pin Header (2x10) to Dual USB A Female Port I-Type Internal Adapter | eBay) might be useful.

Reactions: fossxplorer

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
I have been seriously considering using the mSATA adapters myself as right now I am using an adapter that holds two SSD drives (Amazon.com: Kingwin KW-PCI2H25 HDD / SSD Mounting Bracket for PCI Slot Specifications: Computers & Accessories) but makes the wiring a bit more ugly and you may need the PCIe slot.

I prefer something like this (Amazon.com: Lycom 171s (mSATA to SATA DOM -Disk on Module- Adapter): Computers & Accessories) if you can afford to use the SATA DOM connections for the os, as I feel it will be more flexible (prices dropping on mSATA) in the future and make for a much cleaner implementation. The only issue I see with this adapter is the height, as I don't see how it would fit in a 1U case unless you got creative and did some type of side mounting willing to deal with the wiring and power. FYI, I posted a link to this adapter in another thread.
I bought a bunch of those from Amazon a few weeks ago. They're fine as long as you don't want to put them in a 1U chassis.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I considered these:

StarTech SAT32MSATM m-SATA Adapter: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

A bit expensive but can be found for less on ebay.
Not sure if they fit in height and width in my 4-Node System or 2U in general.

Unfortunately, wasn't able to find an msata ssd that would do a good job as SLOG, so i`ll give up the idea to put an msata SLOG and save some bays by doing so. But certainly want boot devices away from the bays, where the SuperDOM i guess is the right device.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
What just came to my mind:
For PLP, wouldn't a decently sized cap soldered to the 5V cable that powers such an adapter work ?
Wouldn't work on SuperDOM on yellow ports, but in theory for anything that is powered via a cable where the power is backed by a cap at least for the time to allow the drive to write it`s inflight data ...

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
Ok, I'll take a last stab at this think but I am thinking about this subject wayyyyyyyy too much:)

For brevity I am just going write a few thoughts between the Supermicro device on this thread and the (Amazon.com: Lycom 171s (mSATA to SATA DOM -Disk on Module- Adapter): Computers & Accessories) adapter.

Disadvantages to adapter :
* Height - will not fit in a 1u chassis
* Width - Potential, as these look wider (from the pictures) than the Supermicro SATA DOM this thread refers to. If two if these are used side by side (my motherboard has two yellow sockets that are near each other)
* Initial cost - though perhaps not as bad as you might expect - see below
* Thickness - Potential, not sure about two of these being back-to-back. The combined thickness might not be accommodated
* Must attach power cable - I saw nothing that suggested this adapter will get power from the propitiatory Supermicro SATA port
* Relatively limited availability - You may not be able to replace the adapter if something goes wrong

** I saw sno.cn's note above (thanks BTW! Good to know and perhaps you can give us some of your experience)

Advantages:
* Cost - Ya, I know it is listed above but hear me out. Just to round up lets say the cost of the adapter is $20 (perhaps you need another power cable so will round up), that leaves about $40 for the drive. I did a quick search on ebay for 128GB mSATA drives (msata 128gb | eBay) finding quite a few that were in the $30 to $40 range. Even if you wanted something other than a no-name drive and were willing to spend a few more bucks on it you would still come out ahead (in terms of space) compared to the drive Supermicro drive. Basically, (assuming the disadvantages don't rule you out) you can either get the same amount of space for less, and have an adapter allowing you to more likely upgrade to a cheaper drive (than an equivalent Supermicro SATA DOM, assuming they are made in the size you want) in the future. Or, you can double the space (and perhaps get more endurance) and get the adapter. Hmmmmm.

* Upgradeable - Sorta covered this above but mSATA drives are available, to the best of my knowledge, up to 1TB. If for any reason you need (want) the additional space, you can take advantage of price drops along the way.

* mSATA drive availability - As long as the adapter lives I'm willing to bet more mSATA drives will be available over the long term, and in a far greater number of price points, and in a far larger variety of sizes than Supermicro SATA DOMs.

I am sure other advantages and disadvantages exists for each specific use case. The cost of the adapter is high (in my mind) but still worth it, and it looks like other companies are starting to sell it so I suspect the price will come down in the not too distant future.

Based on my above dialog I'm quickly talking myself into getting a few of these adapters and seeing how it goes. No, I don't have any relationship with the company that makes these things, I've just gotten some good advice this site and thought I would at least provide a perspective...your mileage may vary!

Now that I have beaten this poor horse to death, lit the animal on fire, and shot it into space as it is time to thing about something else other than adapters! ;)

J--

Aug 13, 2016
I wonder if these can be USB powered?

I have that 2U quad node that @Marsh and @Patrick picked up as well. It suffers from lack of storage (only two 2.5 bays per node), but has 6 SATA ports nonetheless.

Edit, oh maybe even fan headers? Hmmm.....

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
@J--

There is a place for a M2 - 2242 SSD in the ASUS 4 nodes server. You could use M2 SSD as boot OS disk.

Reactions: Patrick