EU HP SAS Expander €30

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
Anybody knows if it works with any SAS2 HBA (IT/JBOD mode) or does it need specific HP controller ?

logan893

Aug 12, 2016
I believe I've read that they will work with other HBAs, but require an HP controller for some things, mainly firmware updates.

This line of controllers (e.g. Smart Array P410) doesn't support drives over 2 TB. I wouldn't expect this expander to handle 3+ TB drives either.

ncdesign

Dec 19, 2013
The expander works essentially as a switch, and doesn't see disk. Only the controller does, which means that the controller limits the the disk size, NOT the expander.

Check the HP SAS expander thread in the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: logan893 and TedB

SeanFi

Aug 7, 2015
To clarify, these expanders, and the HP x1x series controllers they were meant to work with, support drives larger than 2TB. I'm running one in a DL370 G6 with the integrated P410i controller and it works fine with 4TB SATA drives. This is using all the latest firmwares (if these controllers are not at the current level you most likely need an HP controller to flash them). There's a huge forum about them with lots of good info:

HP SAS Expander Owner's Thread

Reactions: logan893

logan893

Aug 12, 2016
My bad, and I was confusing the SATA2 speed limitation of the P410 with drive capacity support.