C6100 parts for sale

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I have a spare Dell C6100 that's non-functional but too expensive to get working again, so I'm parting it out. I'm trying to set the prices very low compared to eBay, but if you really believe that I am overcharging, please make an offer. Anything that does not sell by Friday 8 March goes to eBay. My goal is to help other C6100 fans on the list and to get enough cash to buy IB mezzanine cards without feeling like I'm spending "real" money on these C6100 toys.

<SOLD> 2x 1100 Watt power supplies. $30 each. I keep two spares myself.

<SOLD> 2x CPU boards - $40 each. Includes the CPU board, interposer board, the metal sled, and power cables - basically everything that slides in and out of the chassis except that there are no SAS/SATA cables or heatsinks - and of course no CPU or RAM. I'm keeping one as a my own spare. The fourth one is dead.

<SOLD> 2x Fans - $8 each if you want a spare. I'm keeping two as spares.

<SOLD> 2x "four up" Backplane to interposer cables - $8 each. These have four SAS/SATA ports on one end and one SFF-8087 on the other. These are replacements if you own a 24-bay C6100 or can be used in a 12-bay C6100 to allocate more disk slots to one or more of your nodes***.

<SOLD> 2x "two up" backplane to interposer cables - $8 each. These have two SAS/SATA ports on one end one one SFF-8087 connector on the other.

<GONE> 6x 2.5" drive blanks. Free if you buy something else and need them.

Need any other parts? Just ask. If you want a whole group of parts, you can save on shipping of course. As for shipping, I have boxes already, so you pay only for the shipping part with no markup. Prefer to trade? Wish list includes: IB Mezz card for the C6100, QSFP cable, or LSI external port HBA, or a 2.5" 1TB drive, or Samsung SSD.

*** The 12-bay C6100 uses one "three up" cable per node to allocate three disk bays to that node - call this 3+3 for three disks to one node and three disks to its neighbor. You can switch this out with a "four up" cable to allocate four disk bays to a node. You then use a "two up" cable on the adjacent node to allocate two disk bays to it - basically you convert from 3+3 to 4+2. You can also convert to 6+0 by using one each of the above cables.

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
One CPU board remaining if anyone needs a spare. $40.

The rest of the items appear to be sold - though not final until PayPal received.

I have a spare Dell C6100 that's non-functional but too expensive to get working again, so I'm parting it out. I'm trying to set the prices very low compared to eBay, but if you really believe that I am overcharging, please make an offer. Anything that does not sell by Friday 8 March goes to eBay. My goal is to help other C6100 fans on the list and to get enough cash to buy IB mezzanine cards without feeling like I'm spending "real" money on these C6100 toys.

2x 1100 Watt power supplies. $30 each. I keep two spares myself.

2x CPU boards - $40 each. Includes the CPU board, interposer board, the metal sled, and power cables - basically everything that slides in and out of the chassis except that there are no SAS/SATA cables or heatsinks - and of course no CPU or RAM. I'm keeping one as a my own spare. The fourth one is dead.

2x Fans - $8 each if you want a spare. I'm keeping two as spares.

2x "four up" Backplane to interposer cables - $8 each. These have four SAS/SATA ports on one end and one SFF-8087 on the other. These are replacements if you own a 24-bay C6100 or can be used in a 12-bay C6100 to allocate more disk slots to one or more of your nodes***.

2x "two up" backplane to interposer cables - $8 each. These have two SAS/SATA ports on one end one one SFF-8087 connector on the other.

6x 2.5" drive blanks. Free if you buy something else and need them.

Need any other parts? Just ask. If you want a whole group of parts, you can save on shipping of course. As for shipping, I have boxes already, so you pay only for the shipping part with no markup. Prefer to trade? Wish list includes: IB Mezz card for the C6100, QSFP cable, or LSI external port HBA, or a 2.5" 1TB drive, or Samsung SSD.

*** The 12-bay C6100 uses one "three up" cable per node to allocate three disk bays to that node - call this 3+3 for three disks to one node and three disks to its neighbor. You can switch this out with a "four up" cable to allocate four disk bays to a node. You then use a "two up" cable on the adjacent node to allocate two disk bays to it - basically you convert from 3+3 to 4+2. You can also convert to 6+0 by using one each of the above cables.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
This might be useful to someone:

Dell C6100 12-bay to 24-bay conversion kit, yet another bit of recycling from my dead C6100. Yours for $40 from me... plus about a billion dollars in cables from eBay.

The so-called "kit" consists of:

1) The slide-out 24-bay frame
2) 24-bay hot-swap backplane
3) Right-side blanking insert
4) Tiny little circuit board. This is probably the same as the one on the 12-bay but it's attached
5) Two long cables to the PS

To install, you unscrew the 12-bay frame and slide it out partially. You then unclip all of the cables - there are lots of them - and then fully remove the frame. Reverse everything to install the 24-bay frame in its place.

Your existing chassis and motherboard cables will give you immediate access to three of the 2.5" drives per node. To gain access to the other three, you need cables. Replace your existing three-port cable (which is part number 3R7FF or 3T15J) with one four-port cable part number V91FW and one two-part cable part number 334VV. It should also be possible to save $ by skipping the two-port cable and instead using your existing three-port cable with one SATA connector left dangling.

In addition, your existing motherboards are probably wired for only three drives. You'll need cable part number 6J3R2 (for SATA) or part number HYJ6F if you have the SAS Mezzanine card.

Last edited:

cafcwest

Feb 15, 2013
Richmond, VA
This might be useful to someone:

Dell C6100 12-bay to 24-bay conversion kit, yet another bit of recycling from my dead C6100. Yours for $40 from me... plus about a billion dollars in cables from eBay.

The so-called "kit" consists of:

1) The slide-out 24-bay frame
2) 24-bay hot0-swap backplane
3) Right-side blanking insert
4) Tiny little circuit board. This is probably the same as the one on the 12-bay but it's attached
5) Two long cables to the PS

To install, you unscrew the 12-bay frame and slide it out partially. You then unclip all of the cables - there are lots of them - and then fully remove the frame. Reverse everything to install the 24-bay frame in its place.

Your existing chassis and motherboard cables will give you immediate access to three of the 2.5" drives per node. To gain access to the other three, you need cables. Replace your existing three-port cable (which is part number 3R7FF or 3T15J) with one four-port cable part number V91FW and one two-part cable part number 334VV. It should also be possible to save $ by skipping the two-port cable and instead using your existing three-port cable with one SATA connector left dangling.

In addition, your existing motherboards are probably wired for only three drives. You'll need cable part number 6J3R2 (for SATA) or part number HYJ6F if you have the SAS Mezzanine card.
I'll take this! And likely anything else you have left unsold. I'll shoot you a PM.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
I have outfitted two of my C6100s with Infiniband for an upcoming project. Four of the cards came with the c6100 at no additional cost! I found the others on eBay for $120 each. Part number is JR3P1.

I'm not sure if that answers your question. If you are asking if I am selling any of my IB cards, then the answer is not, not right now.

hi dba

IB Mezz card for the C6100 for dell part number and Quantity?

dba

Feb 20, 2012
I have outfitted two of my C6100s with Infiniband for an upcoming project. Four of the cards came with the c6100 at no additional cost! I found the others on eBay for $120 each. Part number is JR3P1.

I'm not sure if that answers your question. If you are asking if I am selling any of my IB cards, then the answer is not, not right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.