Intel Xeon Phi x200 (Knights Landing) – x86 Code Compatibility – It boots Windows!

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
P

Patrick Kennedy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chuntzu

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Cute. But isn't that a lot like driving a Ferrari 458 Italia on the Blue Ridge Highway? ;)

(*** see Top Gear Series 16 Episode 8).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Cute. But isn't that a lot like driving a Ferrari 458 Italia on the Blue Ridge Highway? ;)

(*** see Top Gear Series 16 Episode 8).
More like driving a semi-truck at Laguna Seca.

You would be surprised how many questions we get on how code compatible the KNL systems are, even from other major review site editors.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Not sayin' it isn't worth testing or posting - just amused by the idea of running Windows on this beast.

Heck - I'd love to drive the Ferrari no matter what road its on... Just love all the irony's embedded in this.

Reactions: Patrick

Rain

May 13, 2013
The coolest slow* Cinebench run I've ever seen.

* Slow compared to quad 24C CPU beasts:

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
It's kind of neat that it can run x86 although I suppose we shouldn't be all that surprised given that much of the x86 instruction set has been being translated through to intel's underlying more risc than cisc command set for quite a while. It still made me smile though. I really was expecting busybox at boot.

Reactions: Patrick

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
I'm curious about the hyperthreading implementation. Since it's the first x86 with >2 threads per core I wonder if there was any optimization on the core level to make better use of the extra threading and if there is a sweet spot similar to Power 8.

badskater

Automation Architect
May 8, 2013
Canada
Personally, i'd like to see if you can run an accelerator like a Tesla with it, just to see if CUDA compatible code would work even better with a system like this...

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I just found out about this platform and now that it has aged a bit, I'm wondering if anyone has got their hands on one. Seems like it could still hold its own even in today's era of computing.