Ubiquiti Beta UniFi AC HD USD$174

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Hmm tempting, definitely I would spend the $40 extra over the current Pro model for this, I just grabbed an Asus AC1900 for $60 so probably will hold off on this for now, need to get my PFSense box up first and not put the cart before the horse.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
I believe i saw over on the UBNT forums that you can aggregate the two network ports together on these for better throughput

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
1 Gb ethernet really limits the usefulness of these over the UAP-AC-Pro. Especially at a list price $200 greater. Too bad they couldn't have waited a bit for 2.5/5GBase-T PHYs to become an option. Link aggregation helps some, but then you've halved the number of WAPs the switch can handle.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
CPU of UAP-AC-Pro chuckles at around 550Mbps in multi SSID setup. So hopefully this thing will have resource problems solved.

From my experience, usual throughput of UAP-AC-LR (AC 80MHz 2x2) is up to 40MB/s. This new one is 3x3 160MHz, so one might expect 120MB/s when you are in same room with it. Yes there is also 2.4GHz radio so it will be possible to saturate 1Gb uplink.

On the other side, retail price of 350 USD seems quite high and I would expect 2.5Gb port and maybe even MIMO 4x4 for that.

Antonio

Dec 20, 2015
Just received mine.
They are a piece of cake to setup.
They do seem to have much greater range than the Mikrotik 951G-2HnD that I am replacing.
No issues to report, all our wireless devices connected right up.

Remko

Oct 26, 2015
Netherlands
The new anticipated Unify AC HD, what a pity that I live in Europe .... someone wants to sent three to the Netherlands for an additional fee of course?

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
The new anticipated Unify AC HD, what a pity that I live in Europe .... someone wants to sent three to the Netherlands for an additional fee of course?
Remko, je kunt meerdere shippers gebruiken.
Ik heb voor de 10g beta switches shipito gebruikt.
Weet niet of ze de creditcard controle ook voor de aps hebben ingesteld.
Bij de switches werd na verloop van tijd gebruik van niet americaanse creditcards geblokkeerd

Remko

Oct 26, 2015
Netherlands
Remko, je kunt meerdere shippers gebruiken.
Ik heb voor de 10g beta switches shipito gebruikt.
Weet niet of ze de creditcard controle ook voor de aps hebben ingesteld.
Bij de switches werd na verloop van tijd gebruik van niet americaanse creditcards geblokkeerd
Bedankt! / Thanks!

Remko

Oct 26, 2015
Netherlands
So I just ordered 3 of them via my own Dutch cc. I'm using shipito. Very pleased so far.

These are us models so they will miss channels 11-13 on 2.4 ghz
Thanks for pointing that out! Luckily I'm not using the 2.4 GHz for myself or the rest of my use cases (IoT/Array of Things). 2.4 GHz is only meant for my occasional customers/backwards compatibility. Channels 1-11 seems to be available on the US models also. So in other words fingers crossed ;)

Last edited:

Remko

Oct 26, 2015
Netherlands
... Too bad they couldn't have waited a bit for 2.5/5GBase-T PHYs to become an option. ...
See also the message of UBNT-Brandon on the Ubiquiti Networks Community forum @ New UniFi AP HD, 2.5 gig performance - Page 5 - Ubiquiti Networks Community
In summary:

So when will greater than Gigabit Ethernet really matter for the enterprise?
Somewhere around two to three 4x4 MU-MIMO 80MHz radios, depending on ratio to downstream/upstream traffic.
  • Two 4x4 80MHz MU-MIMO 11ac radios: 400mbps (50 clients) to 1000mbps (4 clients)
  • Three 4x4 80MHz MU-MIMO 11ac radios: 600mbps (50 clients) to 1500mbps (4 clients)
  • Gigabit Ethernet: 1000mbps singe-direction, 2000mbps aggregate

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
Pros/cons of picking this up vs. the standard AC Pro? Setting up a PFSense device and want to pick up a worthwhile AP -- this bad boy is only a bit more than the released Pro, but not quite sure if I'd notice the marginal benefits, and the downside of using beta products.

edit: I can get the AC Pro for $130 shipped from Newegg (no tax, free shipping). The beta AC HD will cost me $175 + tax + shipping = ~$200. Worth the $70 premium? If it's really a $350 MSRP device, it's still a deal, but need to do some work to get smarter on what I'm buying... :D

Last edited: