SuperMicro-PWS-501P-1R < 50 greenbacks

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Are these quieter than the regular super micro power supplies?
All depends on which ones your referring to by "regular". I have some of these 501's in my units and yes they are much quieter than the 902-1R's that came with my unit. The fans do still spin in the power supply even when the unit is off, so they are defiantly not silent like the SQ models. But I would go out on a limb and say I can't hear them when my machine is powered on unlike the 902 screamers.

I also found them to be slightly less annoying than the 721P-1R. On my units with such low power draw (SM846 used as a media server) the 501's are actually slightly more power efficient than the 920P-SQ's I had been running. So as much as I loved my SQ's I'll be selling them in favor of the 501's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaishi

Mar 7, 2011
Which chassis models are these intended to fit? I have some 828 and 216 chassis, and I'm not sure if these would fit either one. I know I don't need the 1400W PSUs I'm running now.

Zac_K

Nov 24, 2015
Hamburg/Germany, Graz/Austria
Thanks for posting this.
I grabed 2 @ $35, awesome.
@ Kaishi as far as I can see, they wouldn't fit in the SC216 chassis.
I will use them in a SC825 with a 24 pin power distributor. Just compare the power distributor description this should clarify your question.
Agreed, SM should provide a compatibilty matrix......

Edit: A suiting power distributor is also available on ebay:
Power distributor for the SC825 chassis.

Last edited:

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Thanks for posting this.
I grabed 2 @ $35, awesome.
@ Kaishi as far as I can see, they wouldn't fit in the SC216 chassis.
I will use them in a SC825 with a 24 pin power distributor. Just compare the power distributor description this should clarify your question.
Agreed, SM should provide a compatibilty matrix......

Edit: A suiting power distributor is also available on ebay:
Power distributor for the SC825 chassis.
there is a lot of information here in teh forums on this power supply , just search, there are lots of good information..

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
A year or so ago these were difficult to find for under $150. I recently purchased a second 501p to add to my 216 chassis for redundancy with 1 PSU plugged into an Eaton online double conversion UPS and the other plugged into a cheaper pure sine UPS. They are excellent PSU's (especially at this price) and quieter than most case fans.

After changing the 721p PSU the stock case fans in the 216 were driving me nuts and I replaced them with 0.37a SuperRed fans. These fans are fairly quiet when the load is down, but spin up to keep things cool enough when needed (without AC or in a hot room they may not be enough).

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Rolled the dice, can't really see the pins on the sale item but mine are narrow for sure on the PWS-1K21P-1R's. Picked a set of 2 up for $45 of those 501 platinums. Don't think I'll be needing dual PWS-1K21P-1R's.

EDIT, NM, found another image out on ebay that confirms they 'should' work. Running a X9SRL (single 2670 proc) and a bunch of ssd's I wouldn't think would tax that pwr supply...knocks on wood.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm honestly surprised these are not continual sold out, I mean he lists 2 then re-lists but at $25 each these are an insane price for running a SSD JBOD or low power head unit with SSD.

Could you ever imagine an ATX sized PSU with Platinum rating and 500w for $25 shipped? It's insane... but these are high quality server units too!

I know I got some coming :)

Looking forward to saving a couple dollars/month lol :D

mtekk

May 22, 2015
Minnesota
Anyone know if these are supported/will work in a SC216/CSE-216 chassis? Having a hard time validating this.
I can confirm that they work with the SC216. I grabbed one a few months back for my SC216 Xeon D build, nice and quiet verses the old 900W beasts that came with it. At $50, I'm picking up a second (paid way more for the first one).

Cole

Jul 29, 2015
I got a set of two, $40 shipped for both. Should quiet down my file server a bit, currently running the 700 watt Gold psu's.