"Refurbished" SSDs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Lagged2Death

Sep 29, 2016
I see quite a few used "enterprise" SSDs (on Ebay, NewEgg, etc) that the seller describes as "refurbished," "factory refurbished," or "manufacturer refurbished."

I can imagine all sorts of cleaning, lubrication, tuning up and checking that could be performed for a mechanical drive, but what ever does "refurbished" mean for a tiny circuit board with no moving parts? Wiped and flashed to the latest firmware? That hardly seems worth making a fuss over. Is there some other effort worth making for these things?

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
They should all post the info page from ssdlife? Buying ssd and hhd is so much different compared to cpu and ram... if I pull out my 286 from 1990 I bet the cpu and 1mb ram still work :)

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
You are right that there seems to be a wide variation. Newegg and such will usually have wiped drives. ebay depends on the seller. We buy a lot of used / refurbished drives and they are often not even wiped.

STH Resources for you:
Buyer's Guide to getting a used datacenter SSD inexpensively
and
Used enterprise SSDs: Dissecting our production SSD population
am still new to STH, i was drooling over those used ssd but didn't know what to look out for. thanks for the links, those were exactly what i needed.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
If a drive is manufacturer or factory refurbished it will either be a normal working drive that was returned for reasons other than failure or a brand new drive. There is no cheap way to repair a bad drive so they just get thrown out. I had a samsung evo drive replaced recently and the rep stated that they usually just send out new drives with a refurb label on them.

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
If a drive is manufacturer or factory refurbished it will either be a normal working drive that was returned for reasons other than failure or a brand new drive. There is no cheap way to repair a bad drive so they just get thrown out. I had a samsung evo drive replaced recently and the rep stated that they usually just send out new drives with a refurb label on them.
thanks, i was kinda thinking that too.

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
Is this a spambot?
Seems like it. The name implies US residency but the sentence structure implies non-English language and it's heavily fragmented. Only thing that makes me wonder is there's no link to or mention of a specific website. People who buy spambot ads generally expect what they are advertising to be mentioned.

mouse

Mar 3, 2016
Sorry for that, I won't open a stupid new thread...
There is some suite to test the life of used ssd?
I've bought a nvme Intel p3700 from Amazon and I want to test it's life
Feel free to delete this

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Try the intel ssd toolbox, it should show smart data and other information about your ssd.

Reactions: mouse

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Your ssd is fine, just 321gb written. The p3700 400gb is certified for 4tb writes per day over 5 years.

For comparsion: this is the ssd in my workstation. It's a consumer grade ssd and it's health is still at 100%.