ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well the question is whether that should be considered seller fraud or not - I don't mind having a (final) QS stepping remarked but a pre-qs ?;)

ColPanic

Feb 14, 2016
ATX
The original premise of remarking a CPU was to fool a consumer or customer into thinking that they got a higher clocked processor out of the box when it was overclocked. So I am not sure what purpose it serves currently if it is disclosed other than to make it look like a production processor.
Is it possible that they are remarking them to protect the source? Maybe some of them said "NOT FOR RESALE" with a serial that intel could easily connect to whichever OEM they sent them to? Or maybe their source removed the markings (or the heat spreader) before selling them in violation of their agreement with intel.

Rahim

Nov 17, 2016
Hey guys, new here. I looked into building an ES Xeon system. After reading through the thread, i bought the E5 2630 V4 Stepping 1 a.k.a R0 from xtrememicro. I'm using the MSI X99A SLI PLUS motherboard. Now everything was running fine until i noticed Turbo Boost wasn't kicking in. The processor seems to be stuck at a multiplier of 22 and won't go above that no matter what. The turbo frequency is 3.1 Ghz btw. Any suggestions? kinda stuck :(

Toysrme

Aug 16, 2016
Third time I've put these two e5-2698v4 ES CPU's up on ebay... It's so frustrating. I have NO IDEA why people click buy it now; then have a thousand questions after the fact & get sketchy when they don't understand the product they committed to pay for...

Rahim

Nov 17, 2016
There is a couple of things you can check. First one is in the bios make sure that Turbo boost is enabled. Second you can do a clear cmos on the bios and see whether the multiplier will show that turbo boost is enabled. Third you can try changing your power option settings inside the OS (Windows?) to performance and see if it will kick in. The easy way to check turbo boost is to use a utility that will stress the processor something like AID64 or CPU-Z and use their built in stress tests. You also want to verify under HwInfo64 that Turbo boost is not greyed out and green.
Thank you for the reply. I actually did all that. Interesting enough, aida 64 seems to fail. I have not tried prime95 as i heard it can harm the CPU. I use the Intel extreme tuning utility. Now, i even manually set the multipliers in the bios. Which it lets me, weirdly enough o.0. But from playing around what i seem to pick up is that the cpu does not "take" those settings and is still stubbornly sitting at 2.2 GHz. The turbo boost is green.test2.png test.png

Rahim

Nov 17, 2016
Something strange is showing in those screenshots. CPU-Z isn't showing the proper core amounts (6/6) and is Hyperthreading disabled in the bios because HwInfo64 shows that it is 10 cores and 10 threads. Is the bios the very latest available?
Yeah, sorry my bad. I should've mentioned. I disabled some cores and hyperthreading as i was playing around with different settings hoping it would work. And yes i updated the BIOS to the latest revision.

Toysrme

Aug 16, 2016
It could be due to CPU-Z recognizing the ES processor as a QS/pre-QS ES2 B0 whereas HWInfo64 shows it being a A1 stepping.
I doubt it. I've had two sales paid for I had to cancel in the last HOUR from Chinese nationals in the USA that can't correctly identify clearly marked & pictured retail CPU's. Then they get pissy about loosing the refund fee from paypal (Why do they get pissy with me; I'm not paying for their mistakes!?!)

It's extremely frustrating to deal with....

Toysrme

Aug 16, 2016
It's an ES processor (ES1 to be more specific) so I am not sure how they couldn't identify it wasn't a retail processor unless they didn't look at the HwInfo64 and CPU-Z screenshots and the actual pictures of the processor and the description. Were they under the assumption that it's a retail/oem stepping processor? It doesn't make any sense how they could think it's retail or OEM when it's clearly shown to be ES1.
No Im saying even when selling Retail chips, clearly marked with pictures and descriptions of what they are buying; they buy the listing without knowing what they bought.

So frustrated!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
Hey guys,

I was thinking that if you disable cores from your Xeon CPU, will the FPS improve if you game for example. Like the 2630 V4, it can boost to 3,1 with 1 core, 3,1 with 2 cores, 2,9 with 3 cores and 2,8 with 4 cores.

Would this work? 2630 V4's boost to 2,4ghz with all 10 cores.

fpandjic

Nov 30, 2016
Hi guys, I'm new here, but can see that you are all very familiar with the Xeons. Need your help. I'm about to purchase E5-2609 ES QK3J. Is it possible that the HT isn't disabled and that it actually features 8c/16t?

Jul 6, 2016
Ordered a E5-2609 V4 stepping 1 for $90 shipped to test the water. For virtualization I am not sure if this will be an improvement over i5-4690k, but it is definitely cheaper...

Toysrme

Aug 16, 2016
Hey guys,

I was thinking that if you disable cores from your Xeon CPU, will the FPS improve if you game for example. Like the 2630 V4, it can boost to 3,1 with 1 core, 3,1 with 2 cores, 2,9 with 3 cores and 2,8 with 4 cores.

Would this work? 2630 V4's boost to 2,4ghz with all 10 cores.
No. The chips themselves take care of it.

While different CPU's may use the same architecture, they are binned individually into what they perform in. You can see despite the same silicon designs running the same number of cores; there are large differences between the difference CPU's.

You can see this very graphically on even finalized silicon here half way down the page (All shown were the Haswell-EP Xeons measured at the same core loads, but vastly different clock rates depending on core load)

Intel Haswell-EP Xeon 12 Core Review: E5-2650L V3 and E5-2690 V3

Toysrme

Aug 16, 2016
Also, the new gaming API's are not going to save slow processors as gaming solutions.

Deus Ex: Mankind divided in DX11 mode scales performance through 16 cores and will spawn work across 40 cores.

Dx12 does not help.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is slower, with LESS graphical features in dx12 than dx11.

The issue is how over-sold and over-hyped the new API's are. The best programmers for them have been using heavy multi-threading and asynchronous workloads on the older API's in console for more than a generation.

And while the increase in draw calls allowed is great; we're not seeing any games out after years of development that benefit from it.

It's like anything else... If you get 20% more performance and artist is going to make the game 20% more complex. hah!

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
Finally got my Xeon E5 2698 V4 up and running.
And I’m in love! Also really happy with my Asus Z10PE-D16 WS
Here are some pictures. Thanks to this forum I’ll be buying ES cpu from now on.

View attachment 3258 View attachment 3259 View attachment 3261 View attachment 3262

Thanks!
I got my Xeon 2698 V4 (QHZD), 128GB REG DDR4 2400, Asus Z10PE-D8 WS. My Cinebench is bit slower than yours.

The part I am surprised is that they run warmer then I expected from Xeon. I am using "Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U Tower Kühler", what do you use to cool them ??

How do you read CPU temps ? Aida expert pro ??

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Guys, have anyone measure power consumption for dual xeon rig with 2-3 mid tier videocards and 4-5 drives?
Do I need to get 1000W+ or I will be fine with lower model? Videocards will pre pretty basic, just for VM output.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
It depends on the TDP of the processor, video cards and the hard drives.
CPU - 105-130W, maaay be 140W.
GPU - Now I got one - 8490@30W or so. Say I'll buy some more(and faster), and it will be ~200W for all cards.
HDDs - regular NAS drives, not high-perf models. 10W each, or I'm wrong. Say 100 for all drives.

If someone measured their power consumption - please let me know your specs.

Laszlo

Jul 28, 2016
CPU - 105-130W, maaay be 140W.
GPU - Now I got one - 8490@30W or so. Say I'll buy some more(and faster), and it will be ~200W for all cards.
HDDs - regular NAS drives, not high-perf models. 10W each, or I'm wrong. Say 100 for all drives.

If someone measured their power consumption - please let me know your specs.
I have 2 E5 2673 v3 in a Supermicro X10DAX with 4 8GB DIMMs and 6 HDDs. I'm only using an ASUS GT 730 VGA. The system is powered with a Corsair HX 750i which reports max 310 and 280 as average under load. Maybe under small FFT it can be more, around 400W I guess.
BTW, the spec is QGG6, I've been using them since 2 months, and so far had no problems.

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Hey,
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread (yes I've read every post, probably twice...). Thanks to you guys I decided to jump on the Xeon bandwagon. I purchased an asrock x99m extreme4 mb and a E5-2630 V4 QK3G (ended up getting it for $145 shipped). I had a mediasmart server that I used for plex, however the quad core xeon L5420 that I was running in it wasn't up to the task of transcoding 4k files. This new server is amazing. It's been cool (max temp has been 45*C under prime) and it's been snappy.

I have a build thread on OCF

Really just wanted to say thanks though, I've learned a ton here.