R2224GZ4GC4 E5 v1/v2 24x2.5 Barebones HINT

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I'm not sure what you are saying. Obviously if you are using a 6Gbps backplane that will limit your disks and controllers as the connection passes through it.

My statement was to the use of an expander in these types of cases. There is a strong possibility (depending on the expander used) that you will saturate the 1 (possibly 2?) SFF-8087 links from the expander to your controller before you reach 24 SSD's.
I guess what I am trying to say the backplane on this intel server are limited to 6gbps even in its pass through configuration. Unless I am doing something wrong, I cannot get my 12gb sas ssd to connect to 12gb sas controller at 12gbps link speed, while in a supermicro passthrough backplane I can get 12gbps link speed just fine with the same hardware.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
I guess what I am trying to say the backplane on this intel server are limited to 6gbps even in its pass through configuration. Unless I am doing something wrong, I cannot get my 12gb sas ssd to connect to 12gb sas controller at 12gbps link speed, while in a supermicro passthrough backplane I can get 12gbps link speed just fine with the same hardware.
Ah, ok. I don't have any 12gbps disk to try myself but seem likely. I'm assuming you can get SAS3 speeds through the SAS2 backplane in a supermicro A series model with the SFF-8087 connectors? I've not heard or seen anyone run SAS3 through a SAS2 backplane on these Intels though. I know 1:1 mapping chassis (like the TQ) should do this without issue.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Ah, ok. I don't have any 12gbps disk to try myself but seem likely. I'm assuming you can get SAS3 speeds through the SAS2 backplane in a supermicro A series model with the SFF-8087 connectors? I've not heard or seen anyone run SAS3 through a SAS2 backplane on these Intels though. I know 1:1 mapping chassis (like the TQ) should do this without issue.
That is correct, I was hopping since it is a passthrough it should work like a TQ backplane, but for some reason the intel backplane only allows negotiation to 6Gbps.