Asrock Rack EP2C602 and Windows 10 - no more random crashes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rayofsi

Jun 18, 2016
finally figured out how to get windows 10 without any more random crashes.

The culprit = windows 7 64 bit drivers from asrock website. You need the intel inf drivers on their website for sandy bridge for later use.

You also need either a ps2 keyboard/mouse or a pcie usb card to get through windows install.

Installed windows 10 normally, then went to control panel/devices and clicked on the unknown devices and updated drivers for them ONLY with the asrock intel inf drivers.

Do not install the asrock intel inf drivers, use them ONLY for the usb ports

Hope everyone else will have problem free windows 10 with the ep2c602 like me now!

Reactions: pirmas

paul inventome

Jun 17, 2016
This is interesting. I have the EP2C602 4L16

It has USB2 ports so keyboard and mouse are no problem. I've been able to install Windows 10/Windows 8 but i do get hangs.

But the latest INF drivers on the intel site will error if i attempt to install. On the ASRockRack site there is a version for Sandy Bridge there - but support is 2014. No Win 10 or 8.1.

So can i ask what kind of random crashes you were getting and exactly what INF drivers have you used?

thanks!
Paul

fastrax203

Sep 6, 2016
Yeah, I'm a little vague on what rayofsi is trying to say. Windows 10 seems to be pretty stable for me unless I'm gaming. I get crashes when playing anywhere from 20 min to an hour. There doesn't seem to be any scenario that I can identify that crashes the game. Otherwise it is pretty stable. I had one issue before where I left the machine over night and it was hung on the screen saver in the morning. I used to have issues with the computer not waking from sleep so I disabled sleep and spin down of the drives. I'm also running an EP2C602-4L/D16.

paul inventome

Jun 17, 2016
I actually installed Win 8.1 Pro, just swapped a SSD and went from scratch. Full install, ASRock INF files and normal drivers and then all the 8.1 Patches. So far i've not had a single reset, well apart from when trying to install nvidia drivers. Too early to say for sure but 8.1 seems infinitely more stable that Win 10 did with the identical hardware. I've run stress tests and the things that would normally reset 10 but, touch wood, so far it seems better.

I did google a lot of issues with Win 10 locking up various PCs but of course you can't tell from those reports as these systems are so interdependent on so many things that anything can cause a reset

cheers
Paul

Manuqc

Nov 20, 2016
Hello Paul,

Glad to hear that you do not have any more issues with windows! I do unfortunatly have many random crashes while trying simply trying to open an application using windows 8.1 pro ( mobo: asrock ep2c602 4l-d16, dual xeon e5 2670 v1, 240 pin 4x8 ripjaws 1600 ram) windows seems to be well installed and runs ok. I installed the inf drivers for sandy bridge from as rock website, i have c++ distributable installed in windows as well as all the windows updates to date, still when i try to open maya or nuke the computer screen goes black and the fans increase speed... Not really sure what to do and it sucks, I am a vfx artist not an very technical person in regards to debugging windows and servers...etc, so if anyone has a hint onto what could I look upon that mit help me , that ll be great. If not i believe i might downgrade to windows 7. 64 bit pro, as it seems to be rock stable for most people.

I am even considering linux cent os at this point, I solely use that os at work, but for simplicity i am trying to avoid it for a home computer. Although if i cant get windows 8.1 64 bit pro to work smoothly i migt have to choose between win 7 or lin..

Thanks for any help in advanced

-Manuel

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
The last couple of Windows 10 installs on mine I let windows 10 use its own without using any of Asrock's drivers at all, still had random hard lockups.

Windows Server 2016 RTM runs with zero problems so that's what Windows I am running.

Its a 180 day eval but I usually reinstall before 6 months on this pc.

Windows 8.1 installs and runs with zero problems, I keep a SSD with Windows 8.1 already installed for this motherboard handy if I need to be up fast if something bad happens.

I'll probably try Windows 10 one more try on this board, I just went with two RX 480's to replace my single GTX 970. Maybe a different video card might make a difference, its worth a shot anyway since Windows 10 already has been activated on this board.

Last edited:

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
I'm putting mine down :( already placed my order for new parts cant take the constant crap no more

GoodWill

Dec 2, 2016
I had to sign up just to comment on this.
I have the same setup and its flawless.

My Specs:
  • Motherboard Model Name: EP2C602-4L/D16
    ASRock Rack > EP2C602-4L/D16
  • CPU/Processor: x2 E5-2670 @ 2.60Ghz
  • Memory (Speed, Capacity, Brand): x8 4GB 2Rx4 10600R 1333 Mh DDR3 ECC REG Samsung
  • Video Card (Brand, Model, Memory size): MSI AMD RX480
  • Operating System (Loaded service pack and driver): Windows 10 Pro Version 1607, build 14393.447
  • Hard Drive (Brand, Model, Capacity): Sandisk 480GB SSD
  • Other Device (Brand, Model): EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W

If you want a flawless system on windows 10 here is what you do:
1.Disabled your internet
2.Install Windows 10
3.When booted into windows 10, disable ALL windows updates and driver updates.
4. Install GPU drivers and other hardware drivers you need.
Done :)

Windows updates BREAK the system. You will get random hangs, NHI hardware failure errors, troubles booting. I been flawless for months, under 20 second boot times, no hangs, no bsod.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I had to sign up just to comment on this.
I have the same setup and its flawless.

My Specs:
  • Motherboard Model Name: EP2C602-4L/D16
    ASRock Rack > EP2C602-4L/D16
  • CPU/Processor: x2 E5-2670 @ 2.60Ghz
  • Memory (Speed, Capacity, Brand): x8 4GB 2Rx4 10600R 1333 Mh DDR3 ECC REG Samsung
  • Video Card (Brand, Model, Memory size): MSI AMD RX480
  • Operating System (Loaded service pack and driver): Windows 10 Pro Version 1607, build 14393.447
  • Hard Drive (Brand, Model, Capacity): Sandisk 480GB SSD
  • Other Device (Brand, Model): EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W

If you want a flawless system on windows 10 here is what you do:
1.Disabled your internet
2.Install Windows 10
3.When booted into windows 10, disable ALL windows updates and driver updates.
4. Install GPU drivers and other hardware drivers you need.
Done :)

Windows updates BREAK the system. You will get random hangs, NHI hardware failure errors, troubles booting. I been flawless for months, under 20 second boot times, no hangs, no bsod.

I have tried Intel chipset drivers, old to newer, no drivers, disabled devices and on and on still locked up.

I just now reinstalled Windows 10 again with two RX 480 video cards instead off the GTX 970, everything else is the same. I downloaded the latest video driver from AMD and let windows 10 use its own drivers for everything else.

So I will see if a slightly different hardware setup changes anything.

GoodWill

Dec 2, 2016
I have tried Intel chipset drivers, old to newer, no drivers, disabled devices and on and on still locked up.

I just now reinstalled Windows 10 again with two RX 480 video cards instead off the GTX 970, everything else is the same. I downloaded the latest video driver from AMD and let windows 10 use its own drivers for everything else.

So I will see if a slightly different hardware setup changes anything.
"windows 10 use its own drivers for everything else" - Do not allow that. Disable ALL windows/driver updates. I am running Windows 10 without a single driver other than my RX480 and sound card installed and its flawless. Not a single error in device manager. Windows downloads drivers that are not required by your system.
Just disconnect your internet,install windows,disable all driver updates/windows updates,reconnect internet,download RX480 drivers or whatever and any other PCI-e stuff you may need and THATS IT. Do not install any other drivers for the motherboard or anything. It all breaks windows.

^^ all from my experiences.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Unless that is what you did an I understood it wrong then you shouldn't have any issues. Keep me updated :)

Reactions: Kreaguilar

larsomen

Dec 6, 2016
"windows 10 use its own drivers for everything else" - Do not allow that. Disable ALL windows/driver updates. I am running Windows 10 without a single driver other than my RX480 and sound card installed and its flawless. Not a single error in device manager. Windows downloads drivers that are not required by your system.
Just disconnect your internet,install windows,disable all driver updates/windows updates,reconnect internet,download RX480 drivers or whatever and any other PCI-e stuff you may need and THATS IT. Do not install any other drivers for the motherboard or anything. It all breaks windows.

^^ all from my experiences.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Unless that is what you did an I understood it wrong then you shouldn't have any issues. Keep me updated :)
I've had the freeze and NMI_Hardware_Failere bsod's for quite some time now.
I'll try your method when i'm home from work and report back with the results!

GoodWill

Dec 2, 2016
I've had the freeze and NMI_Hardware_Failere bsod's for quite some time now.
I'll try your method when i'm home from work and report back with the results!
Yup that is caused 100% by the windows updates. Disable ALL windows OS/Driver updates on a new install first before connecting to the internet and you are golden :)

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I don't want to jinx myself but no lockup issues so far, fingers still crossed. I let Windows 10 install all the drivers except the video card driver and for that I used the latest crimson driver off AMD's site.

GoodWill

Dec 2, 2016
I don't want to jinx myself but no lockup issues so far, fingers still crossed. I let Windows 10 install all the drivers except the video card driver and for that I used the latest crimson driver off AMD's site.
I hope you are right. I am fairly certain the lockups will come back for you since windows update already installed something that would cause it.

larsomen

Dec 6, 2016
Well, i'm back with the results!
My system has been running fantastic so far!
Not even 1 crash or freeze.

Steps I took:
Installed windows 10
Immediately disabled windows update service and driver updates.
**Important - do NOT install the chipset drivers**
Installed GPU and other drivers (like soundcard, usb, sata/sas controller)
Set my ethernet connection as "Metered" (Windows will now ask for permission to download an update)
Reactivated the windows update service
After that, you're good to go!

Credits go out to @GoodWill

Reactions: Kreaguilar

GoodWill

Dec 2, 2016

Steps I took:
Installed windows 10
Set my ethernet connection as "Metered" (Windows will now ask for permission to download an update)

Glad you got it running well. I remember it was so stressful with the NMI bluescreens. I remember it as a weight being lifted off my back.

Sprite

Feb 20, 2017
Just to clarify, disable Window 10 driver updates, are security updates ok though?

rayofsi

Jun 18, 2016

Steps I took:
Installed windows 10

where did you get usb drivers? seems like they are bundled into the chipset drivers.

GoodWill

Dec 2, 2016
Just to clarify, disable Window 10 driver updates, are security updates ok though?
Well from what I have seen its the driver updates that are causing the issues, but I just disabled everything. Security updates are a joke.

I also noticed a few weeks back that when I enabled updates again it downloads a different chipset driver, tried it and the crashes came back. So I just disabled everything again.