Chenbro-Cleversafe-Slicestor-1440

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
May 10, 2016
I just brought one from here:

Chenbro Cleversafe Slicestor 1440 3.5" 4U Top Load Enclosure Chassis 32GB RAM | eBay

I will post info about it when I get it and will try to test the power and drive limits. I only have 4TB drives around right now though.
I do not believe that they are 80+ rated. Mine pulls around 300w with 36 drives spun up and dual 8 core xeons idiling in it according to my UPS, but this may not be perfectly accurate. I can verify that the backplanes support up to at least 8tb hard drives, not sure about the the HBA as I am using a LSI HBA.

Mine isn't even quite full yet, but at this price, I'm tempted to pickup another to use as a JBOD enclosure.

Last edited:

Chris Buchanan

Jun 6, 2016
I do not believe that they are 80+ rated. Mine pulls around 300w with 36 drives spun up and dual 8 core xeons idiling in it according to my UPS, but this may not be perfectly accurate. I can verify that the backplanes support up to at least 8tb hard drives, not sure about the the HBA as I am using a LSI HBA.

Mine isn't even quite full yet, but at this price, I'm tempted to pickup another to use as a JBOD enclosure.
SWEET on the 8tb hard drives. Im gonna play around with it first, and then see if I can mod it to take an atx power supply and change out the motherboard with something else. Deff gonna get a couple of HBAs for it.

May 10, 2016
SWEET on the 8tb hard drives. Im gonna play around with it first, and then see if I can mod it to take an atx power supply and change out the motherboard with something else. Deff gonna get a couple of HBAs for it.
I've got a different motherboard in it already. It supports up to E-ATX. You could modify it for use with a different power supply, just need some 4 and 8 pin connectors to supply the 5v and 12v power to the backplanes. Space to fit the ATX power supply is a different matter, depends on the the size of motherboard you want to use and if you want to cut the motherboard tray in order to have the power supply fit down to the 4 1u power supply units area.

skelleton

Nov 4, 2015
Yes but i'm not sure how accurate the picture is. The specs say its socket 2011, but the picture shows only 6 RAM slots. That would be unusual for Socket 2011.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
How would these compare to the HGST 4U version that has been popping up on Ebay recently?

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
How would these compare to the HGST 4U version that has been popping up on Ebay recently?
Quite different actually. This Chenbro is a server with 48 bays while the HGST is a JBOD chassis with 60 bays as in just a disk shelf so to speak that connects to an existing server. Think of the HGST as a giant external drive enclosure.

I can't speak to the Chenbro quality but I've read elsewhere that they are a little flimsy or not the highest quality out there. On the HGST side, mine appear to be top notch quality. Almost puts my Supermicro 846 chassis to shame, which I thought were really nice prior to buying the HGST.

Hope that helps a little. It long story short, they are very different animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Quite different actually. This Chenbro is a server with 48 bays while the HGST is a JBOD chassis with 60 bays as in just a disk shelf so to speak that connects to an existing server. Think of the HGST as a giant external drive enclosure.
I understood the HGST was just a giant external drive enclosure. The Chenbro is more of a standard server similar to SuperMicro I assume.
I can't speak to the Chenbro quality but I've read elsewhere that they are a little flimsy or not the highest quality out there. On the HGST side, mine appear to be top notch quality. Almost puts my Supermicro 846 chassis to shame, which I thought were really nice prior to buying the HGST.
That's good to hear. I have a Supermicro 846 I'm trying to replace with either this or one of the HGST from the UK (if I can get it before he sells out). Already convinced the wife, just have to make sure I understand how to hook up it up once I receive it.
Hope that helps a little. It long story short, they are very different animals.
Yes that definitely helps...thank you so much

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
Keep in mind, for under $60 you can convert the Chenbro into an external disk enclosure as well, which is what I intend to do. Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB1(~$30) and a SFF-8088 TO SFF-8087 PCI slot bracket ($20-30). You can even get fancy and have IPMI and fan controls if you spring for a CSE-PJBOD-CB3 (~$125).

As for quality, I owned a pair of Chenbro 5 3.5 in 3 5.25 hot swap bays and the quality was great. Sanyo Denki fans pre-installed, trays were more metal than plastic and the latches were very heavy duty. Hoping this top loader is equally as nice.

I'm thinking about selling my 2u intel server and just putting a motherboard in one of my two and consolidate things a bit. Still on the fence. My 2u is a non-expander 12x 3.5 and the bays are 2.5 compatible. I can put all of my flash in the 2u and all the spinning disks in the Chenbro's and have a very flexible setup. Then again, with a mirrored pair of nvme cache drives, who needs all flash arrays for media use? :rolleyes:

dfenestrate

Nov 30, 2016
Hey there, can someone let me know how the user is alerted to dead drives on this enclosure. For example, on Chenbro's website, a top load RM43348 has a front LED array to show drive activity/fault etc. This seemingly does not have such a LED array on front.

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
Hey there, can someone let me know how the user is alerted to dead drives on this enclosure. For example, on Chenbro's website, a top load RM43348 has a front LED array to show drive activity/fault etc. This seemingly does not have such a LED array on front.
The top load caddys still have led lights on them, just under the metal cover.

Reactions: dfenestrate