Random Hardware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

abq

May 23, 2015
This may be a bit late to ask, but has any STH member actually seen any of this equipment? I hope this does not turn into another 4gb 2.5" drive fiasco...

I am concerned that Patrick has not posted anything, but supposedly he approved posting this semi-commercial sale.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@abq and others, this did not get approval as a commercial posting. I was under the impression that this was $7,000-$15,000 worth of gear being sold by an individual on the forums. This was after a storage wars style buy. I did request that this post be updated with prices per fourm rules.

I did suggest that this gear should go through the big recyclers especially since I believed a lot of this gear was a few generations older than many STH'ers would be interested in. My thinking is that recycling businesses have experience in buying this type of gear and from similar sources in bulk. They also have models to deal with issues such as non-working systems and keeping spares behind to deal with that case. I did point Geene to that avenue but I do not think that is the direction this is going.

Perhaps I had the wrong impression here?

Separately, I do always suggest that buyers in the STH forums use some payment method or another mechanism of buyer protection when dealing with unknown 3rd parties. We do approve posts such as For Sale: Intel R2308GZ 2U Server from sellers that have been screened and are believed reputable businesses. The poster in this thread has not been screened by this process. I do, again, always advise having some sort of buyer protection when dealing on the forums.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
I have talked with the seller quite a bit and he does seem reputable however he will not allow any payment forms besides direct bank checking or debit/credit. This is the only concerning thing for me as a buyer. If anyone else has an idea for buyer protection through card/checking that'd be much appreciated.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
i made a purchase. I was provided an online invoice through Quickbook, it listed the products I purchased and it took a CC as payment. My CC has online protection in case of fraud. Also on the invoice it clearly states 30 day return period, so if i get bad/wrong product i can address it with him.

Anyways, I don't see someone using a business service like QB to try to scam people. I would think it would be highly traceable.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
@marcoi my thought too, he seemed nice, reputable and just wanting to move the hardware but either way when spending thousands one should be sure they are paying in a proper, protective way.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
I'm actually considering doing a big sale post like this (but not a storage cabin full of servers). I'm not sure what approval I would need from Patrick or the STH team to post a ton of memory (DDR3) processors (mostly LGA1366 and LGA2011), and random loads of brand name hardware.

I intend to do all sales via PayPal (I send an invoice and handle the PayPal charge, so that buyers get protection).

Does this idea fit the STH rules and sound safe to all of you?

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
I'm actually considering doing a big sale post like this (but not a storage cabin full of servers). I'm not sure what approval I would need from Patrick or the STH team to post a ton of memory (DDR3) processors (mostly LGA1366 and LGA2011), and random loads of brand name hardware.

I intend to do all sales via PayPal (I send an invoice and handle the PayPal charge, so that buyers get protection).

Does this idea fit the STH rules and sound safe to all of you?
Sounds fine, this probably isn't the place to ask though. I doubt you will be able to offer the prices that our friend Geene is though...

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
Now I'm curious about his prices... I saw this post today when the prices were already removed.

I pretty much sell all my stuff for about 30-40% off whatever the eBay price is, but any lower I'd be skewered.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
He just wanted to make his money plus a little more so its hard to keep with those prices.

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
I'll be meeting the guy in person on Friday to pick up 40 of the 5TB drives. He's about 2 hours away from me. Bringing my USB adapter and a laptop to spot test a few random drives before any money changes hands just in case. He's been fairly responsive via text message and I've spoken via voice a couple times now. So far, seems legit. I'm looking forward to doing a little digging through the storage locker, I hope I'm getting there before the recyclers come and he's not just going to hand me a box of drives. Never know what kind of things you'll find in these. Hoping to find a UPS or two laying around, maybe some vertical 0u PDU's on the racks still.

abq

May 23, 2015
@John Titter, Several forum members are reluctant to share thier purchase prices here, but glad to collect others. I think most these folks are low balling, with intents to flip for large profits. ...I bought 5TB drives from Geene for $42 ea, but he said most paid significantly less. L5645/1U servers for $150 ea. Sorry, cannot say on rest of list (e.g. E3 CPU servers), didnt buy any.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
@abq Yeah, I can fully understand their reluctance to share prices publicly for obvious reasons (on the FS thread none-the-less).

Thanks for sharing, it really gives me a better idea of what he was selling these lots for.

By the way, if you happen to want to sell a few of the 5TB drives, please send me a PM :)

I'll submit my big FS post later this week, but I'll likely have a vastly different variation of goods (and likely newer than what's currently on the post). Not sure I'll be posting prices as if I'm liquidating an auction storage room, but hopefully it gets some interest from the boards. I've been frequenting this site more and more and am willing to lose a few eBay dollars to get more into the community around here. Could be fiscally rewarding down the line, never know.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
I'll be meeting the guy in person on Friday to pick up 40 of the 5TB drives. He's about 2 hours away from me. Bringing my USB adapter and a laptop to spot test a few random drives before any money changes hands just in case. He's been fairly responsive via text message and I've spoken via voice a couple times now. So far, seems legit. I'm looking forward to doing a little digging through the storage locker, I hope I'm getting there before the recyclers come and he's not just going to hand me a box of drives. Never know what kind of things you'll find in these. Hoping to find a UPS or two laying around, maybe some vertical 0u PDU's on the racks still.
You savage! Buying 40 drives. What are you planning on doing with that 200TB?! This is why we can't have nice things!! :p

I kid, I kid. I myself am addicted to getting more and more storage. Everytime I am talking to my friends I casually mention my 80TB storage, they give me this weird look.:(

I finally found someone like me!! :D. I am definitely interested in seeing what you will be using that storage for, maybe I can steal some of your ideas!!
Cheers! :cool:

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
You savage! Buying 40 drives. What are you planning on doing with that 200TB?! This is why we can't have nice things!! :p

I kid, I kid. I myself am addicted to getting more and more storage. Everytime I am talking to my friends I casually mention my 80TB storage, they give me this weird look.:(

I finally found someone like me!! :D. I am definitely interested in seeing what you will be using that storage for, maybe I can steal some of your ideas!!
Cheers! :cool:
Well, I'm assuming some are going to fail or be of questionable goodness, going with 3x 11 drive raid z3 and selling the balance to a friend for his blossoming FreeNAS build. I've got a 1x 10 4TB drive raid z2 that's 88% full. I need more storage so I can hoard all of the things.

Reactions: warlockedyou

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
Well, I'm assuming some are going to fail or be of questionable goodness, going with 3x 11 drive raid z3 and selling the balance to a friend for his blossoming FreeNAS build. I've got a 1x 10 4TB drive raid z2 that's 88% full. I need more storage so I can hoard all of the things.
Atlast! Someone who thinks like me. Maybe we can compare notes and share!!;);)

On a more serious note, I prefer not to have a set of hard drives for a single raid array from the same batch. This way, they don't all end up failing around the same time.:eek: If I had to buy a batch, I generally stagger them so avoid problems like that.

I am working on building my first FreeNAS server and I am planning on using raid z2 as well. Anything special I should keep an eye out for during my "planning" phase before I start install/configuration? :)

abq

May 23, 2015
@John Titter, i may have 4 extra 5TB drives. I would sell for my cost ($42.50), plus shipping, if you are interested. Will let you know when i get shipment from Geene.

Geen G

Banned
Nov 13, 2016
Wow I missed a lot since last night if you have questions about picking up locally or shipping and I am not online feel free to text or call me if you have my number if not pm me to get it because I'm going to be very busy packing most of the next days.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
So my shipper came at 6am which is when he said to have them and he wasn't there and still won't pickup any of our calls or read the texts as of 7:30.

This is money and time wasted.