It's that time of year again...my thoughts turn to black friday sales...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Black Friday/ Cyber Monday etc

So, as this was a topic last year, I figured I may as well kick off early this time. I have already seen a few mentions here and there and even spotted some early flyers from a few little general retailers.

So what do you guys have on your wish list for this year?

I'm in the (not so) lucky position of needing a new disk for my trusty Asus Zenbook. I have been getting doom and gloom messages on and off over the last few weeks from Windows about a failing hard disk. No surprise there really, it's travelled with me for 10's of 1000's of miles getting bumped about since I purchased it and is usually running 24/7, so it's a combination of old age hastened by rough handling to blame. So at the top of my list this year is a sparkly new 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, which I think will pair nicely with my Zen and should give it a kick in performance too. The Zen originally came with 6GB of RAM installed, and to be fair, I have never really pushed it to the point where more was needed, but if I have a shiny new SSD in it going forward, I may as well max out the memory too. So I'll also be adding an 8GB SoDimm to that list as well. I'm sure there will be other things on my wish list by the time all the flyers are released. For example, I need some new chisel's and some sharpening stones etc, so who knows :)

Reactions: Patriot

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I fancy myself a HPE ML110 Gen9... sold for $400 last black friday and I have spent a year regretting not jumping on it.
Cheapest I have seen it for since is $700.

If the price is right... might get a freesync 34" ultrawide. But I have a 30" ZR30W now... it would take a good deal.

Laptop I just got came with a 256GB PM951, nice read speed boring writes... wouldnt mind a 512gb or 1tb m.2 drive that is quicker.

@pricklypunter I have a stack of 4 PM863 (enterprise version of 850 evo) 960gb... sitting new in anti-static. Getting bored of them sitting idle, could let them go for a steal.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
So, I snagged a new 8GB stick of genuine Kingston RAM for my Zen from a seller on ebay, $40can delivered, and it's working fine. Fingers crossed a deal pops up now for an 850 Pro :D

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I'm looking for a deal on 2 x 8gb ddr3 SODIMMS. Bought a set a couple of months ago for about 60 bucks. Same set today is 85. Hoping to get a second for 60 bucks. Other than that. HD deals would be nice. :)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
My "early" black friday was buying a commercial wood splitter :D oh the fun...err...manual labor I've been having o_O:confused: :):):) 15hrs into it and only 1/2 done with my wood pile... wow!! This drought in CA and beetle problem has left me with more wood than I need for 2+ years, ha ha!! You don't see me complaining about free heat in winter though ;) (only source of heat is wood to be accurate too)

Reactions: pricklypunter

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I thought you guys already burned all that wood up last year when the wind changed direction :D
~2mi from the huge fire from a few months ago :eek: and ~ 5mi from the INSANE fire from 2 yrs ago... both caused us to evacuate.

Last edited:

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Which sharpening stones are you looking at? I'm a big fan of the EZ-lap diamond plates, I've got a 250, 600 and 1200 and they get my chisels and plane irons to scary-sharp (can easily shave arm hair). Not cheap but they'll basically never wear out so it seems like a good deal to me. Had problems with stones getting out of flat previously - the solution to which seems to be to lap them on a diamond plate!

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
All this talk about fire reminded me I bought a pellet smoker about 2 weeks ago. Been eating good ever since.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
@Jon Massey I have been eyeing up the DMT plates of late. Diamond stones/ plates are a bit of a luxury for me, but if they were to be on sale at a good price I might just spring for a couple, or a set if cheap, ideally a 400, 1000, 4000 and 8000. Of course if they are also throwing a set of Lie-Nielson chisels in for free, I'll not complain about it ;) :p :D

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Ok...confession time...

Having looked and looked and looked over the last 2-3 weeks, at any and all deals for the Samsung 850 Pro, I can't beat the $264cdn plus free shipping from the egg.ca. What's more, the Black Friday flyers and deals that I have seen so far for Canada, looked pretty disappointing on the storage front. My best guess is that the egg et al will be pushing the likes of Mushkin's and Kingston's etc on sale, rather than anything decent. Probably about the best it's going to get, will be a few deals on the 256GB 850 Evo, which is not a bad drive, just not what I have set my heart on for my Zen.

It's a gamble, but I decided today that as the current deal only shows 6 disks left, I should snap one up now, rather than wait and pin my hopes on something unlikely to bear fruit :)

Obviously this strategy allows me to look for other bargains now ;)

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I know, it's a bummer :(

I don't know what it's like on the east, you guys probably fair slightly better being so close to the U.S, but I absolutely hate the price gouging that goes on here, even on everyday things, it's just pure greed most times I reckon. You can only justify extra shipping distance so far, beyond that they really are taking the p1ss. The other common one I used to hear sometimes when I first came over was multi-lingual printing, I mean really, ink? The trouble is retailers here have little competition. I could rant about this stuff all day :D

Getting back on topic, I did notice that after placing my order today, they sent me their Black Friday deals link, which I haven't really scanned yet, but I did notice that they are listing the Samsung 850 Pro 256GB at $149.99cdn plus $5.99 shipping, not earth shattering, but I suppose isn't too terrible a deal if you're in the market for a one that size. I needed something a bit larger, so it wouldn't have helped me anyway.