EU Seagate Skyhawk 8TB 197,38EUR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I think its a mistake - so reserve it quickly. The other Seagate disks (eg NAS) are significantly more expensive for the same capacity.

And o/c the question do these work for a NAS? 90% write - 10% read optimization of the firmware - whats the impact?

skelleton

Nov 4, 2015
Other sites have them for almost exactly 100EUR more.

I ordered 6 but I am thinking about getting 5 more. But that would require an additional storage case.

Swongler

Oct 31, 2016
Does the 300,000 load/unload cycle rating concern anyone vs the 600,000 that WD reds and Seagate Ironwolfs are rated at?

Otherwise these look very similar to Ironwolf.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hm...
-SkyHawk surveillance drives are designed for always-on workloads of 180TB/year. - So that explains the lower load rating ...
-ATA streaming support

"The Streaming feature set is an optional feature set that allows a host to request delivery of data within an allotted time, placing a priority on the time to transfer the data rather than the integrity of the data. This feature set is defined to satisfy the requirements for AV type applications."

The idea is that for certain applications like recording surveillance video, it's more important to keep up with the flow rate than to have absolutely every byte on the disk be perfect; a bad spot on one frame is OK, but 5 seconds of lost recording while the drive retries the operation is not. The Streaming Command Set enables applications to tell drive that maintaining the transfer rate is the #1 priority; if a sector read returns an error or a read-after-write verification fails (or just can't be completed in time), the drive is to ignore the error and keep transferring the data anyway

Its optional at least... so I assume my FreeNas will not use that option... need to find out how to make sure ;)

Aug 17, 2016
my 1080p cameras at 30fps @ max bitrate @ 24x7 recording generate approx 25TB\year per camera.
so theoretically with bandwidth limitations aside i could have 7 cameras worth of workload on 1 drive and still be able to claim warranty if it fails within the time frame.
the low load\unload cycle is not really an issue if the drives are writing 24x7

Swongler

Oct 31, 2016
my 1080p cameras at 30fps @ max bitrate @ 24x7 recording generate approx 25TB\year per camera.
so theoretically with bandwidth limitations aside i could have 7 cameras worth of workload on 1 drive and still be able to claim warranty if it fails within the time frame.
the low load\unload cycle is not really an issue if the drives are writing 24x7
I should clarify: Any concern about the load/unload cycle if using these in a NAS used for storing personal data and backing up machines. EDIT: and light to moderate media serving.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
It will depend o/c - if you set the disk to not stop (ie always on, low power consumption without spindown
upload_2016-11-1_0-40-4.png
then it should not matter. If you stop and start it all the time or they do it automatically (unlikely) like the greens used to do, you will hit the counter earlier...

Aug 17, 2016
my worst performing drive on my media setup is 22,000 or so for approx 2 years usage 6TB WD RED.
but it really depends on exactly how its set up and what you do. have a look at your own drives in your NAS to maybe make a comparison.

EDIT: should clarify worst performing in terms of highest SMART values per individual drive.

keybored

May 28, 2016
I should clarify: Any concern about the load/unload cycle if using these in a NAS used for storing personal data and backing up machines. EDIT: and light to moderate media serving.
Depends on your definition of "light to moderate". If yours is a typical home NAS that sits idle most of the day and gets used during evenings and weekends then 300K load/unload cycles will be plenty assuming these drives don't have an overly aggressive load/unload logic, like WD greens used to have or maybe still have.
To put the 300K number into perspective -- I have an 8TB Seagate Archive that's been running 24x7 since around March 2015 under Windows 8 and then 10. The drive has an uptime of 13962 hours and just over 15K load/unload cycles. And, as I said, that's under Windows, which pings this drive all the time not letting it sleep (with no ability to disable this crap). But even with that, at 15K load/unload cycles per 1.5 years, the drive will probably be obsolete or fail for another reason before it reaches its rated load/unload limit...

Swongler

Oct 31, 2016
I ordered a couple. Looking at my HDD stats... my drives that have had uptime for about a year have seen only about 30-40 power cycles and 40-50 total load cycles. 300K probably won't be an issue.

d0kt0r

Jun 17, 2016
Pretty awesome for a euro deal. Was looking to open the wd my book 8tb to get the drive but this is far better deal and covered by warranty.

Enviado desde mi Hol-U19 mediante Tapatalk

marv

Apr 2, 2015
I just received email that low price was mistake and my order was cancelled. what a shame ;(