Server Build for Small Business

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

loku

Oct 27, 2016
Hi! Need help on planning having server for 30 users using windows server active directory with file sharing and SQL server ( not all user will use database) for database operation. Should I buy 1 unit of server hardware for all software of have to separate it. Any recommendation to software and hardware specs that I need. Or any open source alternative for the same setup. Thanks

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Depending on the workload of the SQL Server, I imagine it'd all run fine of one reasonably-specced box. Having two does give you HA/DR options. If you need AD and SQL Server then you'll be running Windows Server, the standard edition of which lets you run two Server VMs as part of the license so it'd be a smart move to run the DC/file shares on one and the SQL on another for ease of mgmt. Then again, I'm an SQL guy and I don't like anything else running on my DB servers.

What's your budget?

Reactions: loku

KioskAdmin

Jan 20, 2015
If I'm reading correctly, you have 3 main applications
  • Active Directory
  • File Sharing
  • SQL Server
And you want to know what to buy. 1 server or 2. You also want to know if there's an open source version.

I think it will all run on one box. Another option is to split it up, especially if you want higher uptime. Ideally you would have a NAS box that can also run a directory server and two hypervisor nodes (or Windows Server 2016 Standard nodes with Hyper-V.

The first cost is going to be licensing. With 30 users you've moved out of Windows Server 2016 Essentials land and so I can see why you might want to go open source. If you NEED active directory and SQL server then you are stuck with Microsoft. If you can use MySQL or a derivative then that will save you a ton of money.

For File Sharing, how much data do you have? Maybe something like a FreeNAS mini would work? https://www.amazon.com/FreeNAS-Mini-Network-Attached-Diskless/dp/B00EQJ1BTU/ or a QNAP https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-Professional-Grade-Attached-Supports-TS-453A-4G-US/dp/B017YB7T6U/

For the AD the other option is Open LDAP but that's only if you don't need AD.

Finally, what about using Azure + local storage? File servers locally is easy with lots of options and is good since you avoid WAN transfers. Azure for AD and SQL may be cheaper in terms of licensing and gets you a benefit of letting Microsoft deal with much of the configuration and redundancy.

loku

Oct 27, 2016
If I'm reading correctly, you have 3 main applications
  • Active Directory
  • File Sharing
  • SQL Server
And you want to know what to buy. 1 server or 2. You also want to know if there's an open source version.

I think it will all run on one box. Another option is to split it up, especially if you want higher uptime. Ideally you would have a NAS box that can also run a directory server and two hypervisor nodes (or Windows Server 2016 Standard nodes with Hyper-V.

The first cost is going to be licensing. With 30 users you've moved out of Windows Server 2016 Essentials land and so I can see why you might want to go open source. If you NEED active directory and SQL server then you are stuck with Microsoft. If you can use MySQL or a derivative then that will save you a ton of money.

For File Sharing, how much data do you have? Maybe something like a FreeNAS mini would work? https://www.amazon.com/FreeNAS-Mini-Network-Attached-Diskless/dp/B00EQJ1BTU/ or a QNAP https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-Professional-Grade-Attached-Supports-TS-453A-4G-US/dp/B017YB7T6U/

For the AD the other option is Open LDAP but that's only if you don't need AD.

Finally, what about using Azure + local storage? File servers locally is easy with lots of options and is good since you avoid WAN transfers. Azure for AD and SQL may be cheaper in terms of licensing and gets you a benefit of letting Microsoft deal with much of the configuration and redundancy.

Hi! Thanks for reply, Yes, you're right I need that kind of setup. Actually, In Our current setup, We don't have active directory and user need to add it in every computer to be able to access shares and printers. I want it to be centralized. We do have old MS Server 2003 with SQL Server (some user access with using other application from the workstation side) and I do also have MySQL running on the same server running other application. And due to limited budget, I'm considering other option. Hope you could help me if its OK with you. Thanks again.

loku

Oct 27, 2016
Depending on the workload of the SQL Server, I imagine it'd all run fine of one reasonably-specced box. Having two does give you HA/DR options. If you need AD and SQL Server then you'll be running Windows Server, the standard edition of which lets you run two Server VMs as part of the license so it'd be a smart move to run the DC/file shares on one and the SQL on another for ease of mgmt. Then again, I'm an SQL guy and I don't like anything else running on my DB servers.

What's your budget?
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Should I go with one hardware and split it up with VM? In a standard edition, I would be using Hyper-V as the main application then I am allowed to run two VMs and that would I setup 1 Active Directory Server/file sharing and 1 SQL Server. Is this right? If is OK with you, would you able to help me for the right way to this and the licensing issues. I having a hard time with Microsoft licensing, because we have tight budget. What should be the Ideal setup with this? Thanks again...

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
I would definitely virtualize, the only thing that should be installed on the hardware is backup software and a virus scanner. You don't even need the virus scanner if you use server 2016, has one built in. I do these set ups all the time, you essentially get three server licenses when you buy one (one for the physical and two VMs). Create a VM just for active directory, dns, dhcp, etc and a second VM for your apps/file share. I highly recommend using Altaro as a backup solution, dead simple and works great. If there is a hardware issue you can move or restore your VMs to something else if you can handle a little down time. Alternatively you could get a second cheaper server and use hyper-v replica in case the primary server fails and be back up within minutes.

Good luck!

loku

Oct 27, 2016
I would definitely virtualize, the only thing that should be installed on the hardware is backup software and a virus scanner. You don't even need the virus scanner if you use server 2016, has one built in. I do these set ups all the time, you essentially get three server licenses when you buy one (one for the physical and two VMs). Create a VM just for active directory, dns, dhcp, etc and a second VM for your apps/file share. I highly recommend using Altaro as a backup solution, dead simple and works great. If there is a hardware issue you can move or restore your VMs to something else if you can handle a little down time. Alternatively you could get a second cheaper server and use hyper-v replica in case the primary server fails and be back up within minutes.

Good luck!
Thanks Jeff, So the SQL Server should be with File sharing? I might also add Web Server for ASP.NET application. Does Windows Server 2016 already have 3 licenses? Do you have any recommended specs (brands) for server hardware for at least 30 users? Again, thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Thanks Jeff, So the SQL Server should be with File sharing? Does Windows Server 2016 already have 3 licenses? Do you have any recommended specs (brands) for server hardware for at least 30 users? Again, thanks for your help.
File sharing is pretty resource lite so you could use either VM, I just prefer to leave one as nothing more than a domain controller. If you purchase Server 2016 Standard you are legally licensed to install two VMs on the host hardware (so three licenses in total). My personal preference is towards HP, I've managed hundreds of them over the years and aside from being expensive are easy to deal with and dead reliable. I think you can still purchase DL380 G8s new and the last time I spec'd one out it was just about $2k. I don't know your CPU requirements when it comes to your DB or any applications you will need. A single proc server with an E5 v1 may be all you need, if you need more processing power then the price will go up accordingly (and fast). I tend to use www.orangecom.com since the owner has always treated me well. I would also make sure to look into Altaro's backup software, that paired with a two bay NAS and a couple of drives is usually all you need for a backup solution. Have I mentioned I REALLY like the Altaro software? Good luck with your project!

loku

Oct 27, 2016
File sharing is pretty resource lite so you could use either VM, I just prefer to leave one as nothing more than a domain controller. If you purchase Server 2016 Standard you are legally licensed to install two VMs on the host hardware (so three licenses in total). My personal preference is towards HP, I've managed hundreds of them over the years and aside from being expensive are easy to deal with and dead reliable. I think you can still purchase DL380 G8s new and the last time I spec'd one out it was just about $2k. I don't know your CPU requirements when it comes to your DB or any applications you will need. A single proc server with an E5 v1 may be all you need, if you need more processing power then the price will go up accordingly (and fast). I tend to use www.orangecom.com since the owner has always treated me well. I would also make sure to look into Altaro's backup software, that paired with a two bay NAS and a couple of drives is usually all you need for a backup solution. Have I mentioned I REALLY like the Altaro software? Good luck with your project!
Thank you very much for your help...