quiet network setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
My minister of home affairs has told me in no certain terms that my current network setup is too noisy for her highly sensitive ears. My homelab is in the middle of the house , in a corner between 3 rooms.

Networking setup is:
1) HP 1810-24 switch
2)edgerouter ER-8
3) Cisco 3560G-24 PS

I do need at least 18 ports of POE to power up all my IP cams, Unifi APs. Which is why I got 3). I love this switch but its still too noisy for my missus.

I would like opinions on replacing number 3). Was wondering if a Unifi 48port POE switch will be able to replace 1) and 3). I must say 1) is about as quiet as can be.
Or perhaps just replacing 3) with a quiet 24 port POE switch

thanks for any feedback

Reactions: wsuff and T_Minus

maze

Apr 27, 2013
The 48 port Unifi switch would be able to replace your HP and Cisco. Im not sure How it would be in regards to noise though.. running 18 ports of poe would pull some power obviously.. they are pretty quiet when not using a lot of power, but check their Sound rating against that of the Cisco to know How much

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
That's a lot of IP cameras for a house. But, whatever.

Are you willing to modify the Cisco switch? It is an expensive device but if you remove the case and replace the itty bitty screamers with some larger, quiet fans you may be able to please the boss. You won't, of course, be able to put the top back on.

Other obvious choices include the use of POE injectors. They are usually quiet. Alternately, while high port count POE switches are uncommon it is not hard to get silent 8 port POE switches. Particularly if you are willing to stick with 10/100 to run cameras. Any chance you are willing to run 3 x 8 port switches to run the cameras? Though, at that point I would probably run 3 x 8 port injectors instead.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I originally used a fan less SMC 8 port POE switch,and also quite a few POE injectors. It just was a mess of wires and AC adapters. Which is why I got the Cisco 3560G 24PS. Actually for a managed L3 switch, I though it was pretty darn quiet already. But wife did not share that sentiment.

Is there a way to modify the Cisco switch to be quieter, AND be able to put the top back on, AND still keep temps reasonable?
The Cisco 3560G-24PS is rated at 42 dBa
The Unifi switch 24 250W is rated at 38-47 dBa, while the 48 port 500w is rated at 40-47 dBa. Does not sound like a marked difference to me

Last edited:

fsck

Oct 10, 2013
if you don't mind it being ugly, you could just cut an outlet in the side, mount a fan in a box on the side and vent the fan directly into the case.

or you could run a big, yet thin blower into it.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
That sounds like some serious work (cutting up the case), which I am not capable of .
What about running the fans a little slower? Is that possible, and not likely to cause too much irrepairable damage?

Aug 17, 2016
Things get tricky with high POE port density as they do produce a lot of heat, and that has to go somewhere. there is no way you will find a near silent solution without a bit of DIY
you cant really run the fans slower via software.
but you can potentially put in resistors as per http://cdn.overclock.net/6/67/67e07c82_1407695974819.jpeg

generally there are 3 pin fans on routers and switches not configured in any way and operate at near 80-100% duty cycle 24x7. so swapping fans is generally easier as those screaming delta fans have a whine at lower RPM's anyway.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Actually, I hadn't thought about midspans! I've got a PowerDSine 3512G at home which is pretty much silent, can't comment as to the 24 port version. Serial mgmt only on the 35xx range, though. Picked it up 2nd hand off ebay for £60 which is a steal - they seem to pop up quite often at very reasonable prices.