EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
Are these controller Active/Active? Would it make sense for 2 x hba's, with one connection to each controller, or what is the recommended method of using both controllers?
As usual with these type of SAS enclosures, you need SAS Dual ported drives to get Active/Active Multi-Pathing.

If you have these enclosures, and have dual ported SAS drives, I would try 1 dual port card per SAS I/O card on the enclosure, and set it up in WidePort. See if it links.

bleomycin

Nov 22, 2014
It would be really appreciated if someone who has one already can get a dB reading on one of these at idle from something like 2-5ft away. Even just a crappy dB reading from a cell phone app would be quite helpful. I currently have a norco 4224 in a bedroom closet and with 120mm fans I have it running quiet enough to not hear it at all through the closet door. I'd just like to know if something similar is possible with this chassis before pulling the trigger?

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
If nobody gets to it, I will when I get mine fired up. Everything is working against me on these.

Bought my new 8/3 cable to power these beasts. Couldn't get it ran through my attic to the electrical box as it's on an exterior garage wall and no room to get my ass over to it due to the pitch of my roof right there. So back to lowes I went to get conduit and new junction boxes to run it on the interior of my garage wall to a more ideal location. Got that installed then tried running the cable. It faught me every inch of the way (100 feet). I believe we played a game of tug of way for a good 30 minutes yelling profanity at each other (yes the cable was talking back). So cable was finally ran and was waiting on my PDU. That finally arrived (shipped late) today and they sent me the 110V 24amp version rather than the 200-240V 40amp version I ordered. How frikin lovely! So here I sit with shiny new chassis and no way to power them :(

Something is trying to tell me I didn't need these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
I can't give you a dB reading, but it seems fairly quiet once it boots, at least with only a couple drives in it. I can't hear it over the pile of networking gear that it's sitting next to.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Hey Jeff, just wondering what buying all these hgst 4U for the drives worked out to in per drive cost savings? 30-40% ? For each 100 of these that would be 6k drives. If my math isnt wrong that is around 1 million in savings or so. If it was your idea you should ask for a 1% bonus on the money you save the company in procurement haha

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
I've been testing this out the past few days and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I have it plugged into a 9305-16e being passed thru via ESXi to a Windows Server 2016 TP VM and no problems so far. I was worried that there might be incompatibility problems with certain drives but so far the ones I've tested have all worked fine. I even threw in an old Samsung HD103UJ which is only SATA II that I was sure wouldn't work and no problems.

Looks like I'll be able to use all those old HDDs I had retired for something. :)

It would be really appreciated if someone who has one already can get a dB reading on one of these at idle from something like 2-5ft away.
I can reiterate what was stated above. After boot, it is extremely quiet. I don't think I'd even be able to give a proper dB reading while it was racked since I would have to turn off everything else

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
I can use real db meter when mine arrives before putting it in rack to get exact readings but that'll be a week or so

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
Hey Jeff, just wondering what buying all these hgst 4U for the drives worked out to in per drive cost savings? 30-40% ? For each 100 of these that would be 6k drives. If my math isnt wrong that is around 1 million in savings or so. If it was your idea you should ask for a 1% bonus on the money you save the company in procurement haha
My bonus is I get to keep my job (as accountant, LOL), but also to tinker in other areas. I'm not handling the purchasing, though I imagine its single digit savings and that's still a good deal.

BTW anyone know how to unload

Brand New SuperMicro X9DRE-TF+ Socket 2011 Motherboard Full Warranty | eBay

or

New Supermicro CSE-216BA-R920LPB 2U Rackmount Server Chassis Direct Attached | eBay

They are a bit more mainstream and a bit more enterprise orientated.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Anyone found a good deal on a QSFP+ to hd mini-sas cable (8644) ? I'm looking to pick up two best i've seen is about $86 for a 2m, $77 for 1 m in the link that was posted by Jeff earlier

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Down to one chassis left huh. Those went fairly quick!

So how is everyone that bought one liking them so far? I've only got about 25TB transferred over to the new chassis so far. That allowed me to pull out one SM846 chassis. So one down, three more to go :(

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Why not just transfer the drives themselves over physically instead of transferring data to new drives?

I'll let you know on how it works. i get the qsfp cables in tomorrow. cant do much with it until then. should have the stuff in rack moved around and it hooked in this weekend

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Different file system. My current servers run unRAID and I'm switching back over to Windows with Stablebit Drivepool & Scanner. Just using a Windows 10 license I had (free upgrade) but will likely switch over to Server 2016 Essentials at some point.

UnRAID has fictitious drive limits set in place and I wanted to get back to just running one main server rather than 4 independent unRAID Pro servers.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Ah ok. i run Debian Jessie with openmediavault and ext4 formatted drives then combine drives like drivepool. finally i use snapraid for snapshot parity on two 8tb archive drives. all the drives can be read as normal and different sized drives used. Its so much better for video storage than zfs or mdadm arrays but no striping so not blindingly fast

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I thought about different ways I could do it, even running unRAID as a VM inside of unRAID itself. But since license keys are stored on the flash drives, it had issues when you wanted shut one server down or unmount the volume so to speak. So my next thought was still running four head units on power efficient boards/CPU's but with these chassis as sata drives, only one head unit can be connected.

I asked about changing drive limits or allowing multiple licenses as in multiple arrays per server by simply adding additional license keys but was shot down. Over there they have a few keys individuals that basically run everything. If they don't like the idea or don't see its value, the feature is shot down. Keep in mind these people in the pecking order run little tiny ass arrays anyway. So they see no value in anything or don't see the use case for anything they don't want. I've come to realize unRAID is more for the hobbyist and in turn, started moving back to Windows.

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
Anyone going to order some QSFP+ to Mini SAS HD EXT cables?

I'm probably going to order 12-14 2 or 3M cables.

Has anyone found a legitimate supplier for these yet?