Supermicro X9DRL-IF & Windows 10 Issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

GunSlut

Jul 21, 2016
I have a Supermicro X9DRL-IF ( dual E2650 processors) motherboard running Windows 10 and everything is fine except that Windows 10 won't initially boot when first powered on, I have to push the Reset button on the front panel to get it to boot. Also, selecting Restart from within Windows 10 will shutdown Windows but it won't reboot. I have to again hit the Reset button on the front panel. I'm clueless so I'm turning this over to the guru's on this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dinya24

May 3, 2016
Check DDR3 memory. This problem was with Hynix 1600 pc3 ecc reg 1.5v memory . I change it to Samsung 1.35v PC3L-1333/1600 and all work fine!
mb X9DRI-F or X9DR3-F

Rainmaker

Sep 6, 2016
Hey, I have the same issue. The best way round the first time boot issue seems to be to turn off the computer entirely. As for the reboot I dont really have an answer.
It seems like pressing the reset switch causes the pc to turn off and back on again also when it is stuck in its default black screen state.

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
I have a X9DR3-F with a similar issue also using Hynix ram mine boots into Windows sometimes other times I have to do like you guys and push reset or hold the power button till it shuts down and turn it back on and it usually boots I noticed in the ipmi event log that when this happens I get a cpld assertion caterr do you guys have that as well? Also once it boots into Windows 10 I have zero issues have any of you guys installed Windows 7 to see if the issue goes away?

William

May 7, 2015
On my ASUS X99 USB 3.1 with 5960x system I also had that issue when Win 10 first came out. Power on and some where during the boot process it would freeze and I would have to hit the reset button. From then on it would be ok. This didn't happen every day but enough to be a pain.

It seems that some Win 10 patches later this problem went away for me.

Rainmaker

Sep 6, 2016
So I tried a linux ubuntu install and that seems to work just fine, its probably due to how windows 10 deals with the shutdown ? The only workaround I know is to just power the system off from the wall after shutting it down, then the next boot should be successful.

Reading the output from the boot interface via VGA it seems to hang in bios (no post) if you attempt to reboot, then gives up after so long and powers down then up again and the pc posts fine again.

-Supermicro X9DRL-IF, 2x Xeon E5-2670's, 32gb of kingston ECC Ram , 240gb samsung 850 pro ssd, windows 10.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
We would probably all be mortified if we knew what Win 10 did in the background and for what purpose. :cool:

Reactions: pgh5278

Laugh|nGMan

Nov 27, 2012
Hey, I have the same issue. The best way round the first time boot issue seems to be to turn off the computer entirely. As for the reboot I dont really have an answer.
It seems like pressing the reset switch causes the pc to turn off and back on again also when it is stuck in its default black screen state.
I had same issue with Supermicro x9srl-f and Windows 10.

Windows 10.0.10240 v1507 - Threshold 1, managed to solve installing OS without LAN cable attached, after that installed chipset drivers + changed in system properties>hardware>Device Installation settings to NO , but i believe that this breaks during next Windows Major Update phases like Windows 10.0.10586 v1511 - Threshold 2 or Windows Anniversary 10.0.14393 v1607 - Redstone 1. This problem appeared again.

So this time i tested with Windows Server 2016...same procedure...LAN disconnected...etc + Chipset drivers v10.1.2.77. So far, so good. No issues with warm reboot.

I believe I'ts mandatory disconnect LAN during OS installation. If you mess up and leave LAN connected, in OS u can't reinstall chipset drivers anymore, reinstalling chipset drivers just doesn't helps resolve soft reboot issues.

Last edited:

satter

Oct 17, 2016

JINNIMs

Jun 11, 2022
Supermicro X9SRi-F.
When restarting Windows 10, it does not even display the BIOS screen And there is no beep sound.
After trying this and that, I found it to be a RAM compatibility issue.
Not use DDR3-12800, it was solved by using only DDR3-10600.