Plex goes DVR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JeffroMart

Jun 27, 2014
I set it up last night on my HDHDR-Prime, simple install just plug in the IP of your device and browse thru the program guide and select what you want to record, and what share you want to put it in. The only thing I don't really like at the moment is there is no live tv function, only DVR, but they are working on that. A better program guide that list by your stations instead of just listing shows that are either coming up or are currently air would be great as well.

I'm sure it will progress to improve over time, it's at least a great point to start at.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I was reading on plex pass forum that the issue with epg is that there is a patent that impeds many companies from creating an epg style layout. I believe Rovie owns the patent and companys like comcast are current in litigation due to it. So it makes sense that it may never happen. It also makes since that Silicon Dust DVR doesnt have an epg either. I now understand why, but could be wrong, it is one explination.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I set it up last night on my HDHDR-Prime, simple install just plug in the IP of your device and browse thru the program guide and select what you want to record, and what share you want to put it in. The only thing I don't really like at the moment is there is no live tv function, only DVR, but they are working on that. A better program guide that list by your stations instead of just listing shows that are either coming up or are currently air would be great as well.

I'm sure it will progress to improve over time, it's at least a great point to start at.
Yeah it drives me nuts that there is no channel stamp on the shows currently airing/upcoming. Just a show name. I'm sure they will get it right in the end.

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
I was reading on plex pass forum that the issue with epg is that there is a patent that impeds many companies from creating an epg style layout. I believe Rovie owns the patent and companys like comcast are current in litigation due to it. So it makes sense that it may never happen. It also makes since that Silicon Dust DVR doesnt have an epg either. I now understand why, but could be wrong, it is one explination.
Interesting.. I really don't see how someone could patent a grid layout since I can name thousands or programs which use it to display data. Anyhow, I'm using Emby Server right now which uses a great looking grid-view EPG. I am always looking to try new software, so I was hoping Plex offered this as well. I've used Plex before, but it was just far to slow with my large media library of over 1500 HD movies, 85 HD tv series, 500GB of music, and didn't support Ceton/HDHR Prime for my cable subscription.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Give it a couple months to get the major bugs squashed and then take a more serious look at it. I'm waiting for a wider tuner support to do some ATSC testing with it. Hopefully it will be able to displace my TiVo's...don't get me wrong as a straight DVR they are decent but multiple TV's, the App platform, and Streaming to mobile devices has been quirky, buggy, and sluggish.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Plex cloud server just got announced today. Looks cool, but without something like encfs for the files and file names on Amazon cloud storage the tin foil hat comes out and was one of the reasons I still do Plex local. Too much to go wrong from a legal stand point and terrible isp upload speeds.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

psylenced

Aug 21, 2016
The Plex staff seem to be playing dumb about the copywrite / infringement questions.

What I guess happened, was Amazon required them to not encrypt files as part of the partnership. Probably for de-duplication reasons.

If they are suddenly getting dozens of TB uploaded from people with mostly pirated files - they want to take advantage of the savings in space. If files were encrypted, every single copy would be unique using way more space.

And I have no doubt that eventually people will get in trouble for files that were not obtained legally.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
I'm sure there's some use case but really it seems like a "me too" with public cloud hosting. Plex is running on-prem for a reason, the shoestring internet most people have can't handle terabytes of data up there.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I was getting ready to pay for Plex pass and try this... But my HDHR is too old (it's one of the first version units). I guess the interface is more web-friendly in the newer ones, so they don't support the older units. I might still pay for the Android app to get fully featured, but no PVR for me. I don't think I would use enough to justify buying a newer one. Just thought I'd mention it in case others are in the same boat.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
I was getting ready to pay for Plex pass and try this... But my HDHR is too old (it's one of the first version units). I guess the interface is more web-friendly in the newer ones, so they don't support the older units. I might still pay for the Android app to get fully featured, but no PVR for me. I don't think I would use enough to justify buying a newer one. Just thought I'd mention it in case others are in the same boat.
Supported DVR Devices and Antennas

"Tip!: If you already have an older, unsupported HDHomeRun model, you can email SiliconDust details and the Device ID for your tuner to discuss a possible discount on a new, compatible model."

very random fror their support docs, wonder if they are considering special discounts to "beta test" the plex code.

Last edited: