Flash a Dell H310 with Dell HBA or LSI firmware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
This is only in slot 4 on my X9SCM-iF. If I move it one of the other slots with the other 2 cards removed, FreeNAS boots fine. However, it could be also a result of running 3 cards at once. All 4 of my PCI slots are populated, so I'm not sure if that's causing the issue.

Any ideas?
Is that the pcie2 x4 slot driven by the chip set or one of the slots driven by the processor? What processor are you using? That motherboard will take CPU's with 16 on-chip PCIe lanes and processors with 20 PCIe lanes. I always wondered what happened if you ran out of lanes..

katit

Mar 18, 2015
For me flashing didn't work (error that there is no SAS controller)
I had to come up with FreeDOS bootable USB and boot into DOS. Then run DOS-utility to completely erase all firmware and then I was able to boot into UEFI CLI and run sas2flash. I didn't have to cover any pins.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I have my own 10 year old intel 1GB ram single core socket 775 system that I do all the flashing on. And test hard drives to find out if they really belong in trash or if there just was a minor error. Old systems are still great for some things :)

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I have my own 10 year old intel 1GB ram single core socket 775 system that I do all the flashing on. And test hard drives to find out if they really belong in trash or if there just was a minor error. Old systems are still great for some things :)
True that! I have a couple of trusty old Dell Precision T3400s for these purposes. A former colleague of mine told me that he recently gave a PII-133 machine to one of his buddies who programs Motorola radios. Whatever tools that guy uses wouldn't work on any newer systems

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Elpee

Aug 31, 2016
I have a quick question here, guys.
What is the difference between "sas2flsh.exe" and "s2fp19.exe" files?
I saw Mattr used "s2fp19" instead of "sas2flsh" to add SAS address and flash 2118it.bin firmware.
Thanks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I saw Mattr used "s2fp19" instead of "sas2flsh" to add SAS address and flash 2118it.bin firmware.
I would think that S2FP19 is sas2flsh from the P19 release kit.

Normally the version of sas2flsh doesn't matter unless you are trying to change IT <-> IR which sometimes needs an older utility, or you need an OEM version to flash the card.

Elpee

Aug 31, 2016
Cool thanks, Terry. I'm flashing a Dell H310 SAS card to LSI 9211-8i IT mode. I may use s2fp19.

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
I would think that S2FP19 is sas2flsh from the P19 release kit.

Normally the version of sas2flsh doesn't matter unless you are trying to change IT <-> IR which sometimes needs an older utility, or you need an OEM version to flash the card.
This is correct. The p19 sas2flash is included mainly because it's much faster and more stable than older versions. I believe p16 through p20 sas2flash are all the same though.

The sas2flsh.exe and sas2flash.efi are both P5. A lot of people use P7 in their guides but P7 sas2flsh can only downgrade/crossflash certain revisions of the Dell cards. P5 will crossflash anything you tell it to.

Reactions: tommybackeast

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
Is there any performance advantage to the H310 over the H200 or any LSI 2008 in IT mode?
Doesn't the software do all the heavy lifting?

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I've never heard of one. Once flashed, they are all "dumb" controllers, so they all use the same firmware, drivers, etc.... Silicon is the same, so I can't see how there would be.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
*&%$#%$& I'm trying to flash a Dell H310. I'm at the UFI shell but don't have access to the &*%$#% files on the flash drive. Can someone help? :(

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Got it sorted out. There are dozens of how to's on the web and they are all different it seems like. Quite a few are missing steps and/or vital info. None that I found are complete. For example the instructions I found omitted the : at the end of fs0 and I didn't know any better. I then found the correct syntax and that got me started. The USB drive I used the last time I flashed one of these did not work. I got a "Extended memory not allocated" error. How in the hell it worked the last time is beyond me. switched from FreeDOS to MS DOS and that fixed that problem. Next I got an "Adapter failed to reset" error but that didn't seem to affect anything. I've flashed 6 of these in the last year and I still don't have a firm grasp of the exact procedure, Mainly because of so many different and incomplete instructions out there. This is the first one I've flashed with a UEFI BIOS and of course, it's a different procedure. Next time I need one I'll look for one that has already been flashed to IT mode.

On the positive side. I had an 11TB spanned volume configure with the drives connected to the onboard SATA controller and figured I'd loose them when moving to the H310 but was pleasantly surprised to find that all I had to do was bring them back online and all the data was still there.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I done an H310 just recently and had a bit of a headache doing it. I found the trick was to have the correct versions of both the flashing tools and the official latest and greatest Dell 6Gbps firmware handy, otherwise, you'll find that you can't override flashing the IT firmware over the IR firmware error message. A step that I very rarely see in the various guides, is how to access the card to obtain the SAS address, if it is not physically printed on the card. The command is: "megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll -page 20" for the H310 or "sas2flsh.exe -listall" without the quotes for the H200. This is first done in DOS/ FreeDOS, then reboot into the UEFI shell to do the actual flashing using sas2flash.efi.

Cross flashing to IT mode any of these raid cards using LSI/ Avago firmware is a pita, I don't do enough of them to remember the steps for each without re-reading my notes from previous attempts. I did find the LSI/ Avago documentation handy though for various commands that the tools support :)

Reactions: Fritz

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I did 2 H310, never did get the SAS address to read out. I just made one up. 16 hex digits.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I did stumble upon the command to re enter the address so this one still has it's correct address but do have one card that doesn't have one. I don't anticipate ever having more than one in a box so it doesn't matter. Still don't know why the FreeDOS USB drive worked for the last flash but not for this one. O well, what would life be without mysteries.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I understand the frustration of folks as I have spent many hours due to the quirks of the HW, versions of tools, my lack of knowledge trying to flash LSI HBA cards. Fellow forum members like @mattr, @whitey @mobilenvidia and many others have posted very detailed instructions. My 2¢ - they are offering this as a help to the forum community in their free time without expecting something in return. Let's be grateful and I'd recommend spending a few minutes familiarizing tools/documentation instead of complaining / ranting how the instructions didn't account for every possible HW scenarios. This way we understand the process and hopefully can troubleshoot when things go sideways. It happened to me on more than one occasion and I don't this often enough to remember the whole process but just know where to look in addition to my notes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bob E and wildchild

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Well hell. Just flashed another H310 and this time it was easy peazy. No error messages, no typos. Bam Bam Bam, done. Why the heck it was such an ordeal the previous 2 is beyond me. :rolleyes:

horizonbrave

Jul 30, 2017
West Oz
Hi, I wonder please if anyone had luck flashing the H310 inside a R710 Dell server.. unfortunately I don't have any other machine/motherboard where I could install the card :(
I can't even manage to boot freeDOS through a USB thumb drive (it's a 3.0 model).
Many thanks for any suggestion!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Providing the server's bios can see it, I don't think there would be an issue as far as the actual flashing it is concerned. However, there is one possible fly in that otherwise goodly ointment, and that would be if it is no longer recognised or the server claims it to be a "foreign object" after flashing it. If you have to reboot during the flashing process, you might lose access to the card, if you see what I mean. The card won't be damaged in any way though and can still be recovered again in another mainboard if it comes to that. I would say, give it a try and let us know how it goes :)

Odd issue on the thumb drive, try another one, or use an EFI shell and flash the card that way. I find that the cheaper the thumb drive, the better DELL supports it!

Reactions: horizonbrave

VirtualHome

Dec 10, 2017
I have an H310 I'm having 0 luck flashing...

If I run the megacli -AdpAllInfo -aAll -page 20 command, it just hangs forever.

If I move on to the megarec command, I'm getting a DOS/32A exception error.

The sas2flsh.exe command claims there isn't an LSI card available.

The H310 BIOS is seen on boot and I can go into the configuration for it.

Any idea what's going on?