Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
if they're not making good contact they won't get overly warm. Point is, what you're describing is symptomatic of a poor heatsink to cpu contact and either cpu can trigger this.

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
@jwegman hmm... I don't see how resetting the BIOS default settings directly contributes to the failure of the FRUSDR updates process, the last update in the set of four firmware updates. I installed the board into the chassis and powered on once with no drives. I then powered on with USB installed and proceeded to update the BIOS and the other firmwares where upon the FRUSDR failed to update. I was having issues with the FRUSDR update process twice using the firmware set with BIOS 2.05.0004. I tried it a third time with firmware set with BIOS 2.06.0002, and eventually had success. It's possible that running the duo "syscfg /rfs" and "syscfg /rBMC" were unnecessary. But forcing the system to use the "S2600CP.fru" file seemed to rather quickly resolve the failure and allowed the FRUSDR update process to complete and then reduce the loud fast-spinning fan noise. It's possible that the the BIOS settings were not reset appropriately. However, I only have one system to work with and these are the steps that I took. The conclusion I've come to is based on @DavidVermillion 's post about possible file corruption or errors introduced by the system integrator having some funky name with his S2600CP board causing havoc and how the FRUSDR update process was not working. As I recall, his did not explain the nature of the error, only that it didn't work. Whereas I have paraphrased in an attempt to give direction to the type of error message that I had. It seems some systems update very nicely while others simply cause headaches while they seemingly crash and burn.

Thanks for the the details on where to find the SEL. I'm sure I would have gotten there eventually, but I don't have an active network connection to the server to work with at this time. Unfortunately, my modem and router sit in the back bedroom near the short stubby cable source that's in the closet ceiling while the server sits near the computer with a wireless internet connection in the front of the apartment. I suppose getting into wild and exotic configurations (such as Window's internet connection sharing (or however they have it named now), or a cumbersome wireless bridge [a switch with a wireless radio A, B, G, N, AC, etc.]) would also work.

@nthu9280 .. Yeah, I've read about that here. Thanks for the heads up. I will check that next before I have more mind numbing issues :oops: (Yeah, it's very frustrating to have "banging head on wall" moments. Even worse is when it is your own work working against you. :eek: "Measured once, cut twice, and still too short" o_O Aaah, oops! :p And "'I see,' said the blind man, who picked up his hammer and saw.")

@Boddy .. I hope your system build and updating is trouble free.

Jeffreykmc

Sep 9, 2016
if they're not making good contact they won't get overly warm. Point is, what you're describing is symptomatic of a poor heatsink to cpu contact and either cpu can trigger this.
I'd agree. Just seemed odd they didn't even warm up. too quick.

Double checked everything, even left in only one CPU, no change. Everything kicks on for a second then off. Bummer.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
@pc-tecky

Just to shed some light on the point of the Fan PWM Offset and it's effect on fan speed:

Baseline settings with zero Fan PWM Offset:
Code:
Set Throttling Mode = Auto
Altitidue = 301m-900m
Set Fan Profile = Performance
Fan PWM Offset = 0
Quite Fan Idle Mode = Disabled

george@ubuntuvm1:~$ ipmiutil sensor -c -g fan -N nas4-ipmi -U root -P xxxxxxxx
ipmiutil ver 2.97
isensor: version 2.97
-- BMC version 1.23, IPMI version 2.0
 ID  | SDRType | Type            |SNum| Name             |Status| Reading
001a | Full    | Fan             | 30 | System Fan 1     | OK   | 1778.00 RPM
001b | Full    | Fan             | 31 | System Fan 2     | OK   | 1400.00 RPM
Here we jump the offset to 15:
Code:
Fan PWM Offset = 15
001a | Full    | Fan             | 30 | System Fan 1     | OK   | 2338.00 RPM
001b | Full    | Fan             | 31 | System Fan 2     | OK   | 2140.00 RPM
... then start incrementing by 5:
Code:
Fan PWM Offset = 20
001a | Full    | Fan             | 30 | System Fan 1     | OK   | 2548.00 RPM
001b | Full    | Fan             | 31 | System Fan 2     | OK   | 2400.00 RPM

Fan PWM Offset = 25
001a | Full    | Fan             | 30 | System Fan 1     | OK   | 2716.00 RPM
001b | Full    | Fan             | 31 | System Fan 2     | OK   | 2620.00 RPM

Fan PWM Offset = 30
001a | Full    | Fan             | 30 | System Fan 1     | OK   | 2884.00 RPM
001b | Full    | Fan             | 31 | System Fan 2     | OK   | 2880.00 RPM

Fan PWM Offset = 35
001a | Full    | Fan             | 30 | System Fan 1     | OK   | 3066.00 RPM
001b | Full    | Fan             | 31 | System Fan 2     | OK   | 3160.00 RPM

Fan PWM Offset = 40
001a | Full    | Fan             | 30 | System Fan 1     | OK   | 3262.00 RPM
001b | Full    | Fan             | 31 | System Fan 2     | OK   | 3400.00 RPM

Fan PWM Offset = 45
001a | Full    | Fan             | 30 | System Fan 1     | OK   | 3402.00 RPM
001b | Full    | Fan             | 31 | System Fan 2     | OK   | 3640.00 RPM

Fan PWM Offset = 50
001a | Full    | Fan             | 30 | System Fan 1     | OK   | 3528.00 RPM
001b | Full    | Fan             | 31 | System Fan 2     | OK   | 3920.00 RPM

Fan PWM Offset = 55
001a | Full    | Fan             | 30 | System Fan 1     | OK   | 3514.00 RPM
001b | Full    | Fan             | 31 | System Fan 2     | OK   | 4160.00 RPM
... until we get to the max offset value prior to the total PWM value exceeding 100:
Code:
Fan PWM Offset = 60
001a | Full    | Fan             | 30 | System Fan 1     | OK   | 3500.00 RPM
001b | Full    | Fan             | 31 | System Fan 2     | OK   | 4460.00 RPM
... notice that any higher offset values are disregarded and fan speeds drop as if the offset were 0:
Code:
Fan PWM Offset = 66
001a | Full    | Fan             | 30 | System Fan 1     | OK   | 1764.00 RPM
001b | Full    | Fan             | 31 | System Fan 2     | OK   | 1400.00 RPM

Reactions: Kybber

thorin

Aug 30, 2016
Was it anyone in here that bought the E5 2670 SR0KX from China ($50 a pop) with the Lithuanian or something, seller? Had 5 on offer, they all went, but didn't reply to my PM and now they're all gone :eek:

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Was it anyone in here that bought the E5 2670 SR0KX from China ($50 a pop) with the Lithuanian or something, seller? Had 5 on offer, they all went, but didn't reply to my PM and now they're all gone :eek:
A Czech Republic seller, selling goods from China. It sounds very doggy to me. You are probably fortunate you did not buy from that seller. Sounds like triangular fraud - where they use stolen credit card info to make purchases from 3rd party sellers and on sell goods for 30% discount. Thereby they pocket the cash. I don't know where you would stand if they found out the goods you received were bought by someone's stolen credit card info? Cheers.

thorin

Aug 30, 2016
Yeah, but there are shitloads of same setups with sellers located in UK etc.

I have no idea, I just saw the registered member info and this was the first sale. Everything from eBay besides the GSP was enabled too.

Although, I guess it's all good now ;)

@Boddy: I just fancied the price!

jrdnlc

Jun 26, 2015
Is the SR0KK the best one to buy? Any recommendations on a motherboard?

I might nust get the E5-2680 since they're dropping in price.

Last edited:

thorin

Aug 30, 2016
That's the last stepping and works with VT-d, so I guess it just depends on your use.

Have been following the 80s too, but there's a premium on both them and 90s afaik.

70s at 65, 80s at around 100.

thorin

Aug 30, 2016
Sorry brohan, never got around to try them out so I'm clueless to this unfortunately.

They are around tho. on this board, but I guess the best and quickest response is the support@natex.us

thorin

Aug 30, 2016
I'm thinking you wount avoid customs unless they typo the invoice anyway, so that shouldn't really matter too much imo.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Robert I assume then they used USPS which then was handed over to Canada Post at the border?
Yup. I don't know how they handle larger packages. I'm going back and forth between their 1U server package and the Quanta Windmills on fleabay. The Quanta's are an amazing bang for the buck but it's a lot of pissing about to get them up and running.

thorin

Aug 30, 2016
@jrdnic: I think that's the same as 2670 SR0KH.

Seen ES and QS for about $80, but the retail seems to be around $100.

If you've seen or know a place with retail at less than $100 I would like to know, as the 2670 is $65 you're paying a steep premium - as we've already discussed.

Kevin

Aug 9, 2016
Winnipeg, Canada
I received my last ram/cpu shipment from natex via canada post.
Had to go down to the post office to pay the tax .

ProTip if you're buying from natex/ebay US and live in Canuckistan (especially Winterpeg) and are only an hour or less from the border (especially if they're not using the global shipping program on ebay that includes import fees already). It's much cheaper, often free to have them ship to Pembina Parcel Service in North Dakota or equivalent which is just past the U.S. Border (45 mins from Winterpeg). They charge you $5.00 to accept and hold your parcel and they email you when it arrives and give you like a month or so to pick it up. Depending on the value, Canada customs will collect gst+pst but no other duties on computers (though on sub-$100 items I've often just been waived through because they can't be bothered doing the paperwork). You also don't have to pay the big brokerage fees that canada post/ups/fedex add on and you'll have saved a LOT on the shipping costs because US>US shipping is usually very cheap. Not to mention that you can pick it up in like a week as opposed to waiting 2 to 3 weeks for canada post.