ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ewwink

Sep 7, 2016
I have E5-2683 V3 (QEY7) on idle average 60C with ETS-T40-TB air cooler it is normal?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have E5-2683 V3 (QEY7) on idle average 60C with ETS-T40-TB air cooler it is normal?
use HWinfo(sonsors) to display temperatures.
if there is 60 degree C its to much, should be <60C under load.
that are core temps, not case temp.

if your temp is such high the termal conductive material between the DIE and IHS is bad.

ewwink

Sep 7, 2016
use HWinfo(sonsors) to display temperatures.
if there is 60 degree C its to much, should be <60C under load.
that are core temps, not case temp.

if your temp is such high the termal conductive material between the DIE and IHS is bad.
so I'm not lucky with ES, on idle :(

Vladan

Sep 8, 2016
Dear all,

I am completely new here

I just paid for CPU and after that I discovered this forum
CPU has not been sent, so maybe I can cancel it

Can you guys tell me is this good deal or no?

Does all cores needs to work on 3.1ghz in turbo?

What should I do

thanks in advance

P.S. Intel Xeon E5 2680 V4 ES QHUZ from seller
xtrememicro (60267 )
99% Positive feedback
It was priced 331USD

After that I noticed that he has Intel Xeon E5 2680 V4 ES QHV7 for 382USD where he stated in caption that all cores work in turbo on 3.1GHz

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
so I'm not lucky with ES, on idle :(
can u show the clock ratings same time ?
maybe something powers up all cores to 100%.
each USED cpu can have this problem, its not an ES issue.
i got 8 ES without any temp problems.
u maybe can return that bad one to seller ?

Reactions: ewwink

ewwink

Sep 7, 2016
can u show the clock ratings same time ?
maybe something powers up all cores to 100%.
each USED cpu can have this problem, its not an ES issue.
i got 8 ES without any temp problems.
u maybe can return that bad one to seller ?
for reference :D

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
Thank you very much for your help :D
Try reseating the cooler, it is very rare that the solder between the die and IHS has gave away (especially in 2 years time). I am pretty sure 2011 Xeons are soldered as a opposed to thermal paste. Clean old paste with alcohol, re apply new thermal paste, and reseat the cooler.

ewwink

Sep 7, 2016
Try reseating the cooler, it is very rare that the solder between the die and IHS has gave away (especially in 2 years time). I am pretty sure 2011 Xeons are soldered as a opposed to thermal paste. Clean old paste with alcohol, re apply new thermal paste, and reseat the cooler.
like this?

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015
like this?
NO. You don't want to try taking the IHS (TOP) off the CPU. You WILL likely damage/destroy the CPU.

Instead, simply remove the heatsink & clean the surfaces of the CPU & heatsink with alcohol. Then reapply the appropriate amount of thermal compound to the CPU and re-seat the heatsink.

Reactions: ewwink and William

William

May 7, 2015
From my understanding, only consumer processors use TIM. Xeons & i7 class (Have to relook for info on this) cpu's use solder.
Trying to remove the IHS on Xeons will destroy the processor.

Reactions: ewwink

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
like this?
Do not attempt this!!!!!

If reseating does not work simply exchange the CPU stating that it is faulty and overheating. If it is 60 on idle I can only imagine the temp during heavy load.

Patroner

Sep 8, 2016
Hi Guys,

finally a forum where you can discuss ES Xeons without reading "those are illegal RABBLE RABBLE" every other comment. (we don't care)

I got my hands on a brand new Asus z10pe D8 ws for ≈ $200, and thought of getting some ES's to it, for a cheap but powerful server.

I read the article over at techspot and immediately though of the 2630 v4's. But in that article they talk about sr2r7 stepping, and as far as I can tell, this is production stepping, and those are no where near the $200 stated in the article.

This is the listing I'm eyeballing. (i know they're out of stock atm, but I messaged them and they said that they would get a restock)
What do I need to look for in 2630 v4's? And xtrememicro said that it would be compatible with my mobo. What are your experience/thoughts?

Update

Would love any feedback I can get!

Last edited:

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015
Hi Guys,

finally a forum where you can discuss ES Xeons without reading "those are illegal RABBLE RABBLE" every other comment. (we don't care)

I got my hands on a brand new Asus z10pe D8 ws for ≈ $200, and thought of getting some ES's to it, for a cheap but powerful server.

I read the article over at techspot and immediately though of the 2630 v4's. But in that article they talk about sr2r7 stepping, and as far as I can tell, this is production stepping, and those are no where near the $200 stated in the article.

This is the listing I'm eyeballing. (i know they're out of stock atm, but I messaged them and they said that they would get a restock)
What do I need to look for in 2630 v4's? And xtrememicro said that it would be compatible with my mobo. What are your experience/thoughts?

Would love any feedback I can get!
I purchased a CPU from that exact listing from xtrememicro a couple weeks ago (see here: ES Xeon Discussion).

It came re-branded as SR2R7, but as you can see from my above post, its clearly a late ES/QS with retail CPU stepping.

Patroner

Sep 8, 2016
I purchased a CPU from that exact listing from xtrememicro a couple weeks ago (see here: ES Xeon Discussion).

It came re-branded as SR2R7, but as you can see from my above post, its clearly a late ES/QS with retail CPU stepping.
Okay, so in HWinfo64 i should look for stepping R0? Sorry for stupid questions, I just want to get it right.

Have you heard of anyone that has had problems with this ES and Asus boards?

Patroner

Sep 8, 2016
Okay, so I just found out that the motherboard needs to be produced after oct. 2015, and mine is from august 2015, and therefore does not support v4 cpu's. So thats a bummer.

Is the 2630 v3 still a good alternative in the ES world? Any better for the same price?

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015
Okay, so I just found out that the motherboard needs to be produced after oct. 2015, and mine is from august 2015, and therefore does not support v4 cpu's. So thats a bummer.

Is the 2630 v3 still a good alternative in the ES world? Any better for the same price?
Before looking for alternatives, is there a physical reason the board won't support V4's, or is just because it doesn't have an up-to-date bios?

Edit: I looked at Asus's web site and it doesn't show a PCB restriction on the V4's so it sounds like you just need an up-to-date bios.