HP DL380 G7 Fan Noise

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
I though it allowed you to pick which one... otherwise my guess would be... port 1.
Thanks, I did not see that option to pick the port, I may just add a switch to get more ethernet ports. I've placed it in the garage for now which I recently hard wired.

Another quick question, it shows there is an Advanced iLo License already in place when I went to licensing section.

Is this renewed or just like a one time purchase? Thanks

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
One time... though if you reset things wrong (ever pull the battery)... you may have to re-enter it...
So save it if you can see the full key, and before you update to later iLO versions as the hide the key once entered.

politby

Dec 31, 2013
I hope you don't mind a small hijack.
I have a DL380 G6 which originally did not have any expansion cards and was extremely quiet. Then I installed an additional P410 disk controller and a Mellanox 10GbE NIC. All the fans are now running at a constant 60-70%.
I am assuming the problem is caused by the Mellanox card.
Is there a list of expansion cards which are supported by these systems, not causing the cooling system to go bonkers?
E.g. I know there are HP branded versions of the Mellanox cards. Would one of those work better?

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
I hope you don't mind a small hijack.
I have a DL380 G6 which originally did not have any expansion cards and was extremely quiet. Then I installed an additional P410 disk controller and a Mellanox 10GbE NIC. All the fans are now running at a constant 60-70%.
I am assuming the problem is caused by the Mellanox card.
Is there a list of expansion cards which are supported by these systems, not causing the cooling system to go bonkers?
E.g. I know there are HP branded versions of the Mellanox cards. Would one of those work better?
The card I i had in there is HP branded still it caused fan to spaz out, not sure how pic cards operate maybe missing some sort of driver or such when it boots

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
The card I i had in there is HP branded still it caused fan to spaz out, not sure how pic cards operate maybe missing some sort of driver or such when it boots
likely was not a base option and the bios did not recognize it... latest roms on everything would have fixed that.

politby

Dec 31, 2013
My DL380 G6 is silent as a laptop as long as expansion slots are empty and only HP disk drives are installed.
Any expansion card installed regardless of brand causes the fans to ramp up. Ditto with any non-HP disk.

Maude

Aug 25, 2016
Check if it's an HP Branded card, all others makes the fan go above what should be used. (I remember my 8 x DL380 G6, one did the same stuff, it had a Dell PCIe Quad NIC in it, changed to HP, fans went down to the same noise as the others)
Well, I'm running in the same issue with a graphics card.... Foolishly I bought a PNY Quadro K1200 to fit in a DL380 Gen 7.... This is my main machine for the moment. The fans are at 35-40% compared to my other 380 who is dead silent.

I then bought an HP Quadro K2000 from Amazon but it does the same thing. The card as no branding for HP printed on it just NVidia Quadro. When I get in the BIOS, it is still a non-identified PCI card and the fans are running high.

Any suggestion on what card would fit that server ?

EDIT:

After checking the backside of the card, it does sport an HP Assembly code: 700103-002 !

I'll reinstall the card and see what happens...

Last edited:

Maude

Aug 25, 2016
Voilà, I've tried to pull the graphics cards out of the system to see if it would settle back at the same noise level as the other (both are identical machines DL380 Gen 7) and... no luck. The one I use as a workstation is not showing any unrecognized cards in the BIOS and still it' loud as hell.

I compared the iLO 3 output of both and they are shown below.

This one is the ESXi 6.0 server

This one is the Workstation machine:

Is there anything that could cause the fans to ramp up like that on similar machines ???? The funny thing is that Fan 6 on the workstation IS running at 13% but the rest of the are in 35-45% .....

Attachments

badskater

Automation Architect
May 8, 2013
Canada
i can't really say as i'm no longer with systems like these. (I moved to LGA2011 after all) But, all i know is that if a card isn't HP branded they usually ramp up the fans for nothing...

Maude

Aug 25, 2016
i can't really say as i'm no longer with systems like these. (I moved to LGA2011 after all) But, all i know is that if a card isn't HP branded they usually ramp up the fans for nothing...
Yup, that would seem the case, even though I bought an HP Quadro K2000 (it did have an HP assembly code) and installed it but the fans kept ramping up. I read somewhere (perhaps even in this thread) that as soon as you have the optional riser card installed, the fans would ramp up.

One of these days I remove the riser and start the machine, just to make certain.

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Yup, that would seem the case, even though I bought an HP Quadro K2000 (it did have an HP assembly code) and installed it but the fans kept ramping up. I read somewhere (perhaps even in this thread) that as soon as you have the optional riser card installed, the fans would ramp up.

One of these days I remove the riser and start the machine, just to make certain.

Anyway, thanks for the comments!
Just because it is an HP part number on it doesn't mean:
A, it isn't counterfeit off amazon...
B it is supported by all hp servers throughout all time.

Kepler was released after Gen8 was launched not really a surprise that the old server doesn't know what it is.