12 sfp+ + 4 10gbe rj45 - Ubiquiti Edgeswitch 16xg

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ultradense

Feb 2, 2015
Maybe a stupid question, but you did generate the required certificate before enabling ssh, right? The service indeed does not start on this brands switches without a generated or uploaded certificate. Have been bumping on this before...

Oh and... Starting the SSH CLI from the web management interface fails. I even updated to the latest 1.6.0 firmware.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Maybe a stupid question, but you did generate the required certificate before enabling ssh, right? The service indeed does not start on this brands switches without a generated or uploaded certificate. Have been bumping on this before...
This is the answer but it is far from intuitive in terms of how to get it to work. For example, the fix here is to click the generate button which is absent from the ES-16-XG firmware.

GCM

Aug 24, 2015
This is the answer but it is far from intuitive in terms of how to get it to work. For example, the fix here is to click the generate button which is absent from the ES-16-XG firmware.
Is it absent in the updated firmware, or just ship firmware?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Both my ES-16-XG and ES-48-LITE just got delivered finally. We'll see if I have time to unbox tonight.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Ahh I see, thanks.

I'm still waiting on mine...It's somewhere in Tennessee.
Better the switch than you. Once outside the population centers, it gets "deliverancy" pretty darn quick there

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Likely going to work on that when I get back from VMworld. To me the issue with CLI on these switches is that it is another command interface to learn.
The Ubiquiti stuff I've worked with has all been "Vyatta-ish" in its configuration. Since Vyatta went closed-source, there are likely to be some differences when compared to current Vyatta.

And you need the CLI because one of Ubiquiti's common issues is failing to hook up (either completely or partially) something in the web interface to fully implement options available in the CLI. As I'm a CLI-only user this doesn't matter much to me.
Once past the SFP+ optics and DAC compatibility abyss, setting it up off network, doing basic tasks such as setting up VLANs is very simple. Performance is OK albeit slightly lower than higher end switches eg Broadcom Trident II based. I would still argue enabling HTTPS and SSH CLI is basic functionality but for the price if you need a simple 10GbE switch it is good once running.

Beware - I am sure we will see a flood of positive reseller sponsored reviews that gloss over basic features. I can see a day when the software matures and the switches are by far the best on the market given their pricing. Until that happens, buying one is an investment in the future on the features side/ or just be happy with cheap 10GbE ports that can handle VLANs.
I'm perfectly willing to try less-expensive solutions, and if they do what I need, great. Otherwise I say "the heck with it" and go buy something I know will do the job.

I had one ot the original Netgear 10GbE switches (which could only be managed by Adobe Air). I sold it and bought a Dell 8024 (3x the number of ports, about 4x the price). It runs the same FASTPATH code that people are seeing on the Quanta switches, but all the features are enabled and work as expected. I would have purchased a Cisco 4500X, but I couldn't justify the added cost over the Dell 8024.

I had a Ubiquiti Edgerouter 8-Pro. It had a lot of promise, but the sofware wasn't quite finished. I actually made a couple of suggestions to product development - to include 10GbE ports, have true redundant power (instead of the power brick stuff inelegantly inside the case, etc.). When it became obvious that neither the software features nor a newer model would be forthcoming in the necessary timeframe, I bought a Cisco ASR1001-X to replace it.

I realy believe that low-cost devices with hardware acceleration are going to take over huge swaths of the market from the legacy players. But they do need to improve the management software and user interface.

[And yes, I really do have an ASR1001-X running my home network connection. Of course, since I am my ISP, it isn't as crazy as it sounds at first.]

Reactions: ridney

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Just unboxed my ES-16-XG and the build quality appears to be about as good as I could expect. Certainly nothing like the example @Patrick was dealing with so that is a win. I'm happy that is the case because if it was in poor physical shape I was sending it right back. Now at least I'll be able to continue testing it. Tomorrow I'll throw my Nebula and Cisco DAC cables in and see if they work or not and start playing with the CLI.

Reactions: trumee

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
ASR1001-X? Wow! that's hardcore router right there!
Yup. It was made better by the reject tag our incoming inspection people put on it:
* Rejected for having adventerprisek9 license instead of ipbase
* Rejected for having firewall license instead of none
* Rejected for having ipsec license instrad of none
* Rejected for having throughput_20g license instead of none
* Rejected for having 16GB DRAM instead of 8GB

Oh, the horror! I immediately ordered the "stripper" config they wanted and as soon as it came, I paid what purchasing had paid for the incorrect unit and took it home.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
Yup. It was made better by the reject tag our incoming inspection people put on it:
* Rejected for having adventerprisek9 license instead of ipbase
* Rejected for having firewall license instead of none
* Rejected for having ipsec license instrad of none
* Rejected for having throughput_20g license instead of none
* Rejected for having 16GB DRAM instead of 8GB

Oh, the horror! I immediately ordered the "stripper" config they wanted and as soon as it came, I paid what purchasing had paid for the incorrect unit and took it home.
If I know Cisco, those licenses are not.. cheap :D
Sounds like you lucked out on that one :)

-J

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
OK so I got my ES-16-XG booted up and configured with a VLAN to talk to my Dell X1052 switch. The ES-16-XG does not recognize my Nebula DAC cables but does recognize my Cisco DAC cables. This is a real bummer because I have 8 of the Nubula cables for all my servers and only 2 of the Cisco cables to "stack" this switch to the ES-48-LITE (once I get that setup). If I have to get all new cables I may just go with fiber transceivers/patch cables from FS.com this time around. Can anyone confirm which specific transceivers that work with EdgeSwitches?

ignx

Aug 10, 2016
quick test of dell dacs,the ones i got" Dell 10Gb 2M SFP+ Cable 1JTTN "from ebay ,10 gbp per dac. So centos server has copper intel x540, windows intel 520 doubleport with dell dac. centos SSd was 300gb dc s3500 so isnt a speed demon.

Attachments