Partition vanished into thin air

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Drive is an Intel S3500 480GB holding Window Server 2012 R2. Fired it up and got a Windows could not start message. Error code was something on the order of 0x0000e, Device missing (don't remember exactly). Pulled the drive and put it in another box and all the was on it was the System Reserved partition, the rest was unallocated. I'm currently running Intel Diags on it but all looks well. Never seen this before. Anybody have any idea what might have happened? Last time I fired this box up there were no indications of problems so I'm at a loss here. :confused:

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Last time something like that happened to me was malware. I put the partition back and the virus scanner found the culprit.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The drive passed Intel Diags with flying colors. So I still have no idea what caused it. It's a server so I doubt it was malware. But not knowing what it was means anything is possible. I replaced the drive and did a fresh install of Windows. Gonna configure a backup schedule this time. o_O

jim

Jul 22, 2016
The drive passed Intel Diags with flying colors. So I still have no idea what caused it. It's a server so I doubt it was malware. But not knowing what it was means anything is possible. I replaced the drive and did a fresh install of Windows. Gonna configure a backup schedule this time. o_O
Did you try some partition recovery program like testdisk and ddrescue? I once had some luck with them on a dying HDD, and was able to recover pretty much everything. Good luck ;)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Nope. No need to recover the partition. Everything on it was backed up. Question now is can I trust this drive again?

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
why not recover the partition and do a virus scan just to rule that out?