recommendations for network managed PDU/power outlet strips?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I was wondering if you folks have any recommendations for network managed PDUs?

In my rack, I've been using APC AP7900, which is now discontinued and I don't see anything similar from APC anymore (the new models are larger and many times more expensive). I can find the AP7900's used on ebay sometimes for about $100~150, but I was wondering if there are cheaper alternatives?

In particular, I do a lot of automation with these things, so need an interface I can interact with a program over the network. With the APCs, I can use snmp to turn on/off the outlets.

I don't need units with a lot of outlets, 2~4 would be enough. Would like a price under $80...

JeffroMart

Jun 27, 2014
You're probably not going to find anything too much better than what you are currently using for the performance, features and price.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I was going to suggest ap7900 based on the subject line alone. Really the only way to get cheaper is go to ap7901's as the 20a seem to be more common (I have 4 of the 7901 and only one 7900 available, but would be shipping from Canada)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
If you know and like the APC's stick with them. I have used them at the past several $WORK locations and they are decent just expensive if purchased new. The ease of SNMP automation is nice and we use it as well.

Other than the plug and outlets being 20A (and in theory the guts, but I suspect they are all rated for 20A inside even for the old 15A versions) everything else is the same between the AP7900's and AP7901's so it is an easy change to make. If you need to just put a standard NEMA 15A plug on, or invest in some L5-20R outlets or adapters.

If buying used just double-check what plug is actually on the unit you are getting, sometimes they will have chopped off the original and put a NEMA 15 on, sometimes it is L5-20P sometimes the 20A NEMA plug (the ones with one horizontal and one vertical straight blade vs. two verticals like a normal 15A outlet).

To get the cost under $80/each then you will need to buy large lots of them when they come up for sale, or jump on people offering one or 2 who don't realize they can get more. I was shopping for APC's for a project the past 2 months and the pickings were pretty slim at decent price points. I think on average I got the 20 I needed total at around $115/ea with shipping, from around 6 different sellers which is more than I was hoping to pay but couldn't wait for better prices.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
thanks for the replies folks... I do like the AP7900s I have right now in my rack, except that they are really old and have security problems (doesn't support newer protocols for https, uses weaker DH KeyEx, etc.).

I was sort of thinking of something similar but for the desktop; hence the 2~4 outlets.

searching a bit further on ebay, I found another APC product, the AP9211 "MasterSwitch". any thoughts about this unit? I don't even know if it is an older or newer model; APC's website doesn't have much info on it.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Yes the AP92xx's are OLD and had been less reliable in our experience. I would avoid. I also don't know if they do SNMP well or at all.
If you really want some let me know, I have several at the bottom of the junk pile in various states of working I would part with for the cost of shipping.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
thanks for the replies folks... I do like the AP7900s I have right now in my rack, except that they are really old and have security problems (doesn't support newer protocols for https, uses weaker DH KeyEx, etc.).
Firmware 3.9.2 is the latest for those and fixes a number of the issues. However, the CPU on the management card isn't really up to the task of modern encryption.
searching a bit further on ebay, I found another APC product, the AP9211 "MasterSwitch". any thoughts about this unit? I don't even know if it is an older or newer model; APC's website doesn't have much info on it.
AP9211 is based on the AP9606 management card, which is long obsolete (latest firmware is from 2004) and has many known security problems (including a widely-publicized backdoor password). You might be able to put an AP9617 card in there and run the AP7900 firmware on it (I've never tried, but it should work), but that would cost the same as an AP7900, so it is rather pointless unless you already have the parts laying around.

AP9210 is even older and uses the EPROM-based AP9605 management card guts (but unlike the AP9211, you can't easily swap it). The same security cautions apply to this as well.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Firmware 3.9.2 is the latest for those and fixes a number of the issues. However, the CPU on the management card isn't really up to the task of modern encryption.

AP9211 is based on the AP9606 management card, which is long obsolete (latest firmware is from 2004) and has many known security problems (including a widely-publicized backdoor password). You might be able to put an AP9617 card in there and run the AP7900 firmware on it (I've never tried, but it should work), but that would cost the same as an AP7900, so it is rather pointless unless you already have the parts laying around.

AP9210 is even older and uses the EPROM-based AP9605 management card guts (but unlike the AP9211, you can't easily swap it). The same security cautions apply to this as well.
thanks for the info. I upgraded the firmware on my ap7900 units today to 3.9.2, but still doesn't seem to fix the key exchange problem:

Unable to negotiate with x.x.x.x port 22: no matching key exchange method found. Their offer: diffie-hellman-group1-sha1

so, i guess i still need to add the workaround in my .ssh/config with "KexAlgorithms +diffie-hellman-group1-sha1"

Sounds like picking up the AP7900 used on ebay is the best option still. Those older units (thanks - it explains why i see no info on apc.com) doesn't sound worth the trouble.

what I was asking for was really for something a bit cheaper and smaller... not meant to replace the ap7900 i currently have, but as a low cost alternative for more casual use not in a dedicated rack setup.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
thanks for the info. I upgraded the firmware on my ap7900 units today to 3.9.2, but still doesn't seem to fix the key exchange problem:

Unable to negotiate with x.x.x.x port 22: no matching key exchange method found. Their offer: diffie-hellman-group1-sha1

so, i guess i still need to add the workaround in my .ssh/config with "KexAlgorithms +diffie-hellman-group1-sha1"
You could look at Administration / Network / Console / SSH Encryption to see if setting any of those options helps.