OI swap and dump sizing + napp-it show rpool?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
Two for one here, slightly related:

My rpool mirror is 60GB and my RAM is 32GB. How stingy can I safely be with sizing my SWAP and DUMP 'partitions'?

I don't intend to get anywhere near filling the memory (except for what ARC does) and I don't think I'd know how to analyze a dump file if I got one, so I kind of hate to waste so much space for them.

Secondly, though napp-it (perhaps wisely) hides my rpool from listing in for example 'ZFS Filesystems' and other places (like sources for replication within appliance group) I would like to change that behavior and make the rpool appear like any other pool throughout napp-it. Is it possible? I think on OmniOS the rpool was not actually hidden in napp-it, but I'm back to OpenIndiana.

Thanks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Two for one here, slightly related:

My rpool mirror is 60GB and my RAM is 32GB. How stingy can I safely be with sizing my SWAP and DUMP 'partitions'?

I don't intend to get anywhere near filling the memory (except for what ARC does) and I don't think I'd know how to analyze a dump file if I got one, so I kind of hate to waste so much space for them.

Secondly, though napp-it (perhaps wisely) hides my rpool from listing in for example 'ZFS Filesystems' and other places (like sources for replication within appliance group) I would like to change that behavior and make the rpool appear like any other pool throughout napp-it. Is it possible? I think on OmniOS the rpool was not actually hidden in napp-it, but I'm back to OpenIndiana.

Thanks.
The best engineers at Sun worked on Solaris for years to build the next gen FS/OS - the only to compete against WinNT these days. Sadly the sales dept at Sun was not at the same level. Napp-it covers only a small amount of that features. The rest (the most, depending on usage) must be done via CLI.

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
I see -- so it's not napp-it that hides the rpool it's the OS. Makes sense I guess. Thanks Gea.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
no, its napp-it
- because rpool is special and should not be used like datapools.

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
I thought of a few other uses for my mirrored SSD rpool (no NOT l2arc or zil) and I'd like to be able to see it in napp-it. Is that so wrong? ;)

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I thought of a few other uses for my mirrored SSD rpool (no NOT l2arc or zil) and I'd like to be able to see it in napp-it. Is that so wrong? ;)
Not wrong but you need to do special settings via CLI

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I have been running Linux without/with very small swap partitions for a long time. With sufficient ram(32+GB), how swappy is OmniOS/OI? I made my swap smaller on my current OmniOS install just to get rid of the RED light on napp-it. My rpool is a mirror of over-provisioned 32GB disks and the system has 64GB of ram.

@gea, if by default there is no access to the rpool from napp-it, maybe take it out of the status light calculation. With small boot partitions the HDD light becomes much less useful when it is red/yellow all the time because the rpool is filled with swap/dump.