restore using napp-it replication backups

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
Hello:

I have used napp-it's replication extension to backup all the datasets on my main pool. Then I destroyed the main pool in order to change its configuration. Now I need to restore.

I can figure out how to restore it manually using zfs send | recv of course, but I wonder if there's a way to restore the replicated copy to the master pool AND THEN still have the replicated backup continue to be updated.

I am guessing that unless I do something special, after restoring the backup I will have to create a new replication job and it will have to do the initial backup again -- even though that data is actually on the replication server drive already.

The name of the master pool is the same as it was before, so that might help. Both machines are OI.

Thanks.

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
For example, after sending the most recent replicated snap back to the 'master' I have the dataset with only one snap on the master machine:
Code:
reds/file-archives@1356821783_repli_zfs_OI-BU_nr_26
and all of the snaps from past replication on the backup machine, this being the most recent (the one I sent back to the master):
Code:
touro1/replication/file-archives@1356821783_repli_zfs_OI-BU_nr_26
Will it 'just work' if I call the existing replication job to run again? (the job has not been run since just before the old master pool was destroyed)

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I have not tried - it may work
Other option: rename the old target to keep it and start a new sync

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
I modified the replication job to point to the new server (different hostname and IP) of the target and ran the job -- it seems to have performed an incremental backup as I hoped it would!