Dell warranty - replacement CPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

distracted247

Mar 17, 2012
I recently picked up a used server which is still covered by Dell support. When I check the service tag the listed specs show that the two CPUs installed are not the original ones, everything else except the RAM for CPU 1 is in the original spec and that RAM is clearly labeled as Dell so I'm okay with that.

How can I tell if the CPUs are genuine Dell parts in case I have a problem with them? In my admittedly limited experience i haven't seen a CPU go bad, but I bought the server on the strength of the support and now I'm concerned that I may not be fully covered because the change in spec.

This isn't a case of gambling with a mission critical machine, it is my own for personal use. However the peace of mind offered by support is something I look for when buying used so I'm trying to find out exactly where I stand with what I have.

distracted247

Mar 17, 2012
Previously I was using IBM machines where genuine CPUs had stickers on the edge (x3650m3 with x5600 series CPUs) but there doesn't seem to be anything like that on this machine Xeon 2600v3s

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Dell doesn't make CPUs. There is no difference between CPUs used in Dell or any other server.

distracted247

Mar 17, 2012
Dell doesn't make CPUs. There is no difference between CPUs used in Dell or any other server.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The CPU is standard Intel. What I mean is the warranty on the server only applies to OEM parts.

Previously I have upgraded CPUs in an IBM server using their CPU upgrade kits and said CPUs come with barcode stickers on them to say they are 'IBM' parts. I could have performed the upgrade with off the shelf Intel and the silicon would have been the same but having that sticker on the CPU ensured it was covered by my system warranty.

At least that's the way it seemed to work.

Now I have a dell machine and I can't see any 'Dell' identifier on the installed CPUs which I know have replaced the original CPUs installed at the factory.

What I want to know is, is there a way of determining if the installed CPUs are covered by the machine warranty?

I know not all server OEMs label their parts. I have a Fujitsu here that has no label anywhere on the CPU for instance.

TLDR : the CPUs in my machine aren't he originals. If they were supplied by Dell as an upgrade I would expect them to be covered by the machine warranty. Is there a way to check if they were supplied by Dell or bought from another supplier?

aero

Apr 27, 2016
If the server is under warranty, you can find out everything about it, including what parts it originally shipped with.

start here:
Warranty Status | Dell US

After providing the service tag and verifying the warranty there is a link for "System Configuration" -> "Components".

If the CPU model is the same as listed there, then I imagine you'd be perfectly fine.

edit: doh! I just actually read the bottom of your post. My guess is you'd be out of luck. However, I'd suggest just calling support and trying anyway.

distracted247

Mar 17, 2012
This is the sort of thing i was talking about Intel Xeon X5460 3.16GHz 12M 1333MHz Quad-Core LGA771 CPU Processor (SLANP) - in the listing the CPU has a sticker on it. I'm unfamiliar with the newer Dell models so I didn't know if they applied similar ID to the CPUs installed in their servers.

As you say the best thing to do in the event i have a problem would be to speak to them direct, I was just hoping someone here might already have the answer.

EDIT: I have no connection with that auction - i only post the link as a visual aid

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
I am familiar with the stickers you mention on CPUs. I have never seen a Dell sticker on any CPU. That means the CPUs in your server could have been purchased through Dell or somewhere else - no way to tell.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
As long as the CPU is listed as compatible with the system, I can't see them denying a warranty claim. What grounds would they have? Unless it was a bad CPU, of course.

distracted247

Mar 17, 2012
As long as the CPU is listed as compatible with the system, I can't see them denying a warranty claim. What grounds would they have? Unless it was a bad CPU, of course.
That was my thinking too. I was hoping to find some way of determining whether or not the CPU in particular was covered in case I do have a cpu related problem in the future. Mostly it is for peace of mind. I don't know a great deal about the specifics of the Dell warranty.

Thank you to everyone who responded. Your input is appreciated.

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
I agree you should be fine for warranty as long as the CPU model is supported by that model dell server.
CPUs and server CPUs especially also have one of the lowest failure rates, << 1%.