EU A UK deal 4 Node, 2U, 8 -2670, 64GB.... (11 Available)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Only $147 shipping to Canada... Not a bad deal. I'll do some googling but do these just have one PCI slot (no mess) and 8 or 12 Dunn slots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjygvfesz

Nov 14, 2014
clicking on the links included on the ebay site and navigating to Product images has the answers you are looking for. that being said it appears to have 2 x PCIE x16 gen.3 low pro slots or one of those can be a mezz type card.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
clicking on the links included on the ebay site and navigating to Product images has the answers you are looking for. that being said it appears to have 2 x PCIE x16 gen.3 low pro slots or one of those can be a mezz type card.
Agreed. Hadn't gotten that far at the time. The 8 DIMM's is what kills it for me ;(. I could live without a second PCIe slot but really need/want the 12-16 DIMM solutions. Still a nice box!

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
It would make a nice little box for raw cpu compute. You can never have enough ram I couldn't afford more than to fill the available slots with 8gb dimms anyway. As always my real constraints is noise and wife safe.

I should probably spend some money on her soon to kill the bitter taste

Reactions: NetWise

tare55

Oct 7, 2015
Actually they are not as noisy as I would have thought. I picked up one with 128gb on each node. With a dual 10g add in for host traffic and the PCIe slot for dual FDR ports makes this a screaming 4 node host in 2u

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
If I have money to a spare I would fill a 42" rack but I'm trying to set up a bit of a video studio right now. The next couple of months of cash is going to maxing out the ram, lights, a dslr, a proper mic, a 4k 49", a couple of 1440 27", and a couple of video cards to drive them. Wifey is going to be annoyed when the packages start arriving if there are no diamonds. Definitely going to have to get her the tv for the kitchen that she has been asking for for the last 10 years.

Did

Mar 16, 2016
Does anybody know anything about the sound level? In a similar thread (here) the latest post speaks about a "silent mode" but that almost sounds too good to be true. :)

Ronan

May 14, 2016
I have two of these servers. Nice machines at a good price point. Regarding noise levels they not "that" loud as they have good fan control but they can ramp up quite a bit when under load and all four nodes are in use. The BIOS in each node has the usual Intel options regarding fan control e.g Performance, Acoustic etc. There is no "silent" option. Unfortunately I don't have a sound meter or anything to compare the noise levels to at the moment. It also depends on how many nodes are booted and the load they are under. As mentioned in the previous thread the power-supply fans seem to make the most noise.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
I am not familiar with how these node server works. Are they 4 separate servers that share the same power? What about the drive bays in front?

typek

Feb 27, 2016
Yes, it is 4 separate "servers" (nodes) sharing chasis and PSU. Each node has access to 3 disks. If you want to know anything, let me know. I have one sitting on my table, just didn't have enough time to play around with it too much yet :) As mentioned above, I can confirm that it's PSU fans making the most noise :D

Attachments

Did

Mar 16, 2016
Yes, it is 4 separate "servers" (nodes) sharing chasis and PSU. Each node has access to 3 disks. If you want to know anything, let me know. I have one sitting on my table, just didn't have enough time to play around with it too much yet :) As mentioned above, I can confirm that it's PSU fans making the most noise :D
Thanks!
Do you have any numbers on power usage during idle/low usage? :)

Reactions: Flintstone

Ronan

May 14, 2016
Thanks!
Do you have any numbers on power usage during idle/low usage? :)

See attached screenshot from the BMC on one of the nodes. The screenshot was taken from a node that's in a VMware cluster running a number of virtual machines.

intel-4-node-Poweruseage.PNG

Reactions: typek

typek

Feb 27, 2016
I ran a stress test which gave me 350W under the full load.
Screenshot_2016-08-15_09-13-30.png
What I noticed is that I can't launch "Console redirection" from the BMC web interface. Is there some setting that disables it or is it a different problem?
Screenshot_2016-08-15_09-13-49.png

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
@typek, could it be lack of Java in the browser? Also check the security settings (Java control panel settings) for the IP of the BMC. And lastly, check if there's updates available for the BMC. I had issues with my SM H8DG6-F, an update of BMC solved it all.

Did anyone of you with this server buy from the seller in OP? I wonder the SPEC of the RAM, is it DDR3 Reg ECC 1333Mhz?
Also, on the pics i see dual gbit, but where is the BMC interface nic?
Are the 3.5" slots SAS2/SATA3?

Last edited:
Reactions: Flintstone

typek

Feb 27, 2016
Thanks, I'll check later.

I did buy it from that seller. BMC is working from LAN1. On the other hand it seems that it can be set up to use LAN2 if you want.
Screenshot_2016-08-15_11-33-37.png
RAMs in mine are M393B1K73CHD-YF8 - Samsung 1066 MHZ.

Last edited: