64GB SATADOMs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I use these SATADOMs constantly since they allow me to save drive bays. These should work on "yellow" motherboard ports which support SATADOM power. They are fairly solid read performance for OS boots (>500MB/s) and use sub 2W so lower than most SSDs with more endurance than most USB thumb drives.

I know there are many folks on the forums who will think this is expensive.

Here is the listing: Supermicro SATADOM SSD-DM064-PHI 64GB Internal Solid State Drive there is BO available.

Here is a more normal example in terms of pricing. Amazon.com: Supermicro SATADOM 64 GB Internal Solid State Drive: Computers & Accessories The last one I got at Central Computers was $89.99. 16GB SATA DOMs new are around $60 but you can get older generation Innodisk 8GB modules for around $12/ ea which often require a cable.

Seller said that the best they can do on Best Offer is $64.99. Frankly, I would have liked to see better pricing but still better than $90 each. 25%-30% savings but an unknown write amount on them.

Here is the spec page: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - SATA DOM Solutions

Reactions: Aestr and T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Sad I paid $90 each last year... that price is a "deal" !

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
Shipping: $130.86 UPS Worldwide Saver . Wonder how these are packaged...

But not bad if you live in the US I guess, but I think my local SM dealer should be able to match this price.

For me it is more sensible to get a cheap $26 KingSpec 16GB to store my OmniOS volume and use the remaining money on a 100GB SLC ZIL.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
Out of curiosity, what is the use case for a satadom vs a small used/cheap SSD (i.e. s3500 80GB)? Space and power savings for a very small chassis? They seem too expensive for what they are...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
No idea on the power cable. Maybe good to ask the seller.

@aero - very much so. In short depth chassis like the Supermicro SC505-203B that is common for pfSense appliances they work great. Also, if you use these SATADOMs you have no internal cabling for them. I have also used them in cases where there is a 24-bay chassis and all of the drive bays are for data drives. Some of these chassis/ servers are left with no other drive power/ mounting options so the SATADOM that does not require a drive bay nor a standard SATA power cable is appealing.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Only $84.91 to ship to Canada.. :(
Use a reshipping service that is what I do. If I am going to be near the border I ship to CBI in Niagara Falls and go pick up the shipment. If I am not going to be near there I use crossborderpickups.ca and they will bring it into Canada and mail it to me

Reactions: Patrick

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Out of curiosity, what is the use case for a satadom vs a small used/cheap SSD (i.e. s3500 80GB)? Space and power savings for a very small chassis? They seem too expensive for what they are...
I use 8 of them in my SM MicroCloud chassis. Each sled only has two HDD slots. I need both slots for vSAN, so I'm stuck with either booting off a USB drive (which has killed 13 thumbdrives so far!) or using a SuperDOM. If I were so inclined, the SuperDOM can be used to boot into Windows, while the USB drive can't.

I only installed them a week or two ago, but honestly I'm sold on their utility.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I use 8 of them in my SM MicroCloud chassis. Each sled only has two HDD slots. I need both slots for vSAN, so I'm stuck with either booting off a USB drive (which has killed 13 thumbdrives so far!) or using a SuperDOM. If I were so inclined, the SuperDOM can be used to boot into Windows, while the USB drive can't.

I only installed them a week or two ago, but honestly I'm sold on their utility.
I was mostly against using them before doing the Xeon D SC505-203B builds. Since then, I am in the same boat in terms of understanding utility.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
These are amazing devices. I use them heavily in my SM systems. Saves me from using a hard drive or 10X than a USB drive.