Dell R730XD Intel DC S3710 MLC 400GB SSD 2.5 6Gb/s SATA III Wrnty AUG 2020

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HomeLabber

Dec 13, 2015
Got 10 drives today - very well packaged. Grabbed one at random and threw it into one of my my machines. SMART reports:
0 Reallocated Sectors
6 Months 13 Days Power On Hours
10 Power Cycle Count
program-fail-count-chip doesn't report correctly, shows a huge #
0 errors on all the other values (bad blocks, end-to-end, uncorrectable, etc.)
whatever attribute 174 is reports 8 and 224 reports 4
241 total lbas written shows 4 in smartctl, gnome disks showed 0

Reactions: Boddy and NetWise

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Hi @HomeLabber, did you purchase the drives from same seller as listed in OP?
Was the drives wrapped in any antistatic bags?
(Handy to know when using freight forwarding company)
Thanks

HomeLabber

Dec 13, 2015
Hi @HomeLabber, did you purchase the drives from same seller as listed in OP?
Was the drives wrapped in any antistatic bags?
(Handy to know when using freight forwarding company)
Thanks
Yes, same seller. No, not antistatis bags, they were individually wrapped in very well sealed bubble wrap and then the box was additionally filled with bubble wrap so they were snugly secured. I have a picture of the packaging - if anyone is interested I can upload it.

solaris12

Jul 3, 2013
Yes, same seller. No, not antistatis bags, they were individually wrapped in very well sealed bubble wrap and then the box was additionally filled with bubble wrap so they were snugly secured. I have a picture of the packaging - if anyone is interested I can upload it.
Yes please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
I just tested the waters again with the other seller.

I got quoted the exact same thing as I did the first time I tried a few days ago. Best for x32 is 165 and for x50 150. Say what? Apparently I get to pay more for higher quantities because I got quotes early lol

Still a great price but I think I might be out of the race for these. Is the price premium and 80GB defecit on these compared to the PM863 480GB worth it for database and Ceph type workloads?

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
Still a great price but I think I might be out of the race for these. Is the price premium and 80GB defecit on these compared to the PM863 480GB worth it for database and Ceph type workloads?
Is that even a question? The PM863 is a mix-use read intensive drive. Not only that, it's TLC. If you were serious about DB and Ceph workloads you would add in 20% of OP to the PM836 which puts it at 400GB anyways.

So yes, TLDR, S3710 definitely > PM863, hell even the SM863 which is MLC 3D.

That said, the original seller that sold these from CA managed to pick me drives that were indeed under 1.5TB writes max. Most drives averaged around 400GB. Roughly 6K hours on every drive. 3 drives were about 1.2-1.5TB. I had one that was brand new, literally, 6K hours, but 0GB writes/reads, as if it was a hotspare or something.

July-Sept Warranty dates.

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
Different seller not a deal at the listed price but if anyone is looking for these in lots of 100 -
100 Dell R730XD Intel DC S3710 MLC 400GB SSD 2.5 6Gb/s SATA III Wrnty Sept 2020

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
That's a subsidy of the seller I got those drives from.

You can definitely get them for $200 or less from them.

Right here: Intel S3710 400GB DC SSD SSDSC2BA400G4 SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Warranty Until 2020

Seller worked with me to cherry pick drives with the least amount of usages. Note: I do not have any affiliation with seller =)

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Is that even a question? The PM863 is a mix-use read intensive drive. Not only that, it's TLC. If you were serious about DB and Ceph workloads you would add in 20% of OP to the PM836 which puts it at 400GB anyways.

So yes, TLDR, S3710 definitely > PM863, hell even the SM863 which is MLC 3D.

That said, the original seller that sold these from CA managed to pick me drives that were indeed under 1.5TB writes max. Most drives averaged around 400GB. Roughly 6K hours on every drive. 3 drives were about 1.2-1.5TB. I had one that was brand new, literally, 6K hours, but 0GB writes/reads, as if it was a hotspare or something.

July-Sept Warranty dates.
These aren't going into a production environment. I won't be over provisioning any drives unless it's already built into the drives I get. Huge difference in endurance between the Intels and the Samsungs but I doubt I'd be using the Samsungs up before I was looking to replace them anyway. The DB setup would be clustered as well so writes would be distributed.

Seems like a valid question regarding a ~50% price premium especially from the Ceph point of view. Granted my understanding of Ceph configs is still minimal at best. The extra 80GB would matter for the bulk drives. The PM863s even tested better than smaller S3710s as journal drives in that Sebastian Han blog post which seems odd. Although I'd most likely use 12Gb or nvme drives there if they improve performance.

Anyway this is getting off-topic and I have a ton of testing to do on my current batch of in-house and incoming ssds.