Softbank buys ARM Holdings

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I'd like to continue to see more of these types of articles from informed end users like yourself Pat as we see more and more M&A. It strokes my economics background and it's interesting to see what non-analysts with vested interests think about things. Thanks for the write up.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Ah yes, we've taken back the control to have our highest performing companies bought out by overseas investors due to our economy being in the toilet. Great work, Boris!

Reactions: gigatexal
Apr 13, 2016
Texas
Definitely interesting times... EETimes coverage indicates that - perhaps - simple CEO hubris could be the primary driver in play. ARM Acquisition: What's In It for SoftBank? | EE Times. Certainly, the currency valuation enabled the purchase. The fact (referenced in several finance articles) that the deal was started and closed in two weeks was shocking to me. Shocking to me that any board of directors would accept a deal so quickly. I'm dealing with multiple vendors that have gone through recent (in the last year) M&A transitions, and frankly as a customer I'm not feeling any positives as a result. New owners come in, transitions occur, "optimizations" put in place, and then we either see an increase in product cost OR we see a reduction in our support levels. The lack of any manner of long term planning (only short term stock market gain planning/gaming) has made for a very cut throat time in the IT business world. Sadly, I don't see that changing in the future.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Definitely interesting times... EETimes coverage indicates that - perhaps - simple CEO hubris could be the primary driver in play. ARM Acquisition: What's In It for SoftBank? | EE Times. Certainly, the currency valuation enabled the purchase. The fact (referenced in several finance articles) that the deal was started and closed in two weeks was shocking to me.
I have worked on larger divestitures but acquisitions wise I was on a technology company diligence effort that was around $10-15B many years ago. I think we did 5 weeks from pitching the idea of the acquisition to deal announcement date. +/-1 week and probably about the level of diligence I would want purchasing an asset like ARM.

Very impressive just to be able to spin up teams fast enough to make that happen.

Reactions: SomeGuyInTexas

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Ah yes, we've taken back the control to have our highest performing companies bought out by overseas investors due to our economy being in the toilet. Great work, Boris!
ARM was full of those "experts", always telling other people how to build their CPUs. Now that we're a free country I'll be glad to see the back of them :mad:

Reactions: Jon Massey

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Yes, it is a joke. It's a reference to a comment made by former justice secretary and failed Brutus-wannabe, Michael Gove's comments during the referendum campaign. When asked to respond to the fact that almost every economic expert was saying that Brexit would be very damaging to the UK economy he replied that “people in this country have had enough of experts". It's become a bit of a meme, mocking the anti-intellectual tone of some of the "out" campaign. ;)

Reactions: gigatexal