Recent content by zoob

1. Z

unreadable video during esxi install through ipmi

hi foongkev, thanks for your reply. This is a very basic setup so far, there's just the motherboard with a e3-1220v3 & 2x4Gb ECC, and the power supply obviously. I've tried using the pure http web client, but somehow I am getting warning I need to upgrade to the latest java version although I...
  2. Z

unreadable video during esxi install through ipmi

hi all, I am not sure where to post this, if any admin feels it should be moved elsewhere, please do so :) I am installing esxi 5.5 through the ipmi kvm console of this x10slm supermicro motherboard and while the console is working just fine for all bios operation, as soon as I boot from the...
  3. Z

trouble with brand new X10SLM-LN4F

that seems to be the final word indeed. after guessing somehow some of the screws were causing some grounding issue, it turns out there was an orphan standoff that must have the been the cause of this. I am assuming that by screwing all the screws properly I was getting some bottom components in...
  4. Z

Good call on this one. Somehow, after getting everything out, things started to work as expected, which made me think about some bad connection or something the first time. But as soon as everything was secured back inside, the same problem was there again. It seems that everything is fine when...
  5. Z

I'll try moving the motherboard outside the chassis, good idea. And I guess I'll inspect the cpu pins if I can spot something. I looked at the power connectors earlier and they seemed fine. I have another power supply I can try tomorrow also. thanks guys
  6. Z

What RAM to SuperMicro X10SAT?

I am not sure if this has been posted already, but here it is. Kingston has a decent web tool to find "compatible" modules: link
  7. Z

hi all, I finally made the jump into building some decent home server and I am having some trouble with my x10slm-ln4f. I would guess the issue is power supply related, but I am not really sure how to proceed to confirm this further. This motherboard is paired with an e3-1220 v3 and 2*4Gb...
  8. Z

haswell workstation setup questions

thanks for the replies guys, but I am afraid I might not have been very clear ahah. I meant I am "promoting" my current pc (i5 ivy/q77) to become a dedicated esxi server to handle a very limited amount of vms. And I'll bring over my video card from this PC to the new one, leaving the embedded...
  9. Z

haswell workstation setup questions

hi all, I am looking to shuffle my computer parts to dedicate a small i5/q77 based pc to a small esxi server for home usage (perforce source control server / email & http server). I would then need to buy some new parts for my main computer and I was considering building a haswell xeon based...