Recent content by ZFSZealot

1. Z

IBM ITDT Tape Drive Health

I know this is old but I was looking for the answer to the same questions and found them - power on hours, media motion hours, load/unload cycles, number of cleaning cycles, etc is all in the report that's generated if you run a test on the drive, it will generate a .blz and a json file and if...
  2. Z

Quantum FC LTO5 Drive - $26 Used Untested

HP LTT is indeed still downloadable, but it appears the LTFS software is not. Not logged in it gives "Product Not Found or is no longer active" error. Logged in, it just HTTP 400's... EDIT: Down the rabbit hole I go... ... this is why I generally avoid HP both personally and at work. EDIT...
  3. Z

One last tidbit. Tapes aren't cheap - but you can buy cheap used ones on eBay especially if you want to buy a bunch at a time. Granted it's a crapshoot but I always write at least two copies of everything I care about at all. And the LTO tape tools @DavidWJohnston discusses in this thread...
  4. Z

Yeah I think ESXi just has FC card support so it can use SAN targets for datastores. This is going way way off topic for this forum but I'd be interested to hear what you're using for LTFS. I'm using FreeBSD for storage but there seems to be this odd thing where it only supports IBM or Dell...
  5. Z

Yes FC is not familiar SAS or SATA but the FC card and cable to interface with it is dirt cheap, and if you buy a FC switch, the really cool thing about it is you can access it from anything wired into your fabric. Put in simpler terms, if you do something like what I did and put this in an old...
  6. Z

Patching Intel X520 EEPROM to unlock all SFP+ transceivers

Not sure if this helps, this seems to work with the Fujitsu version of the card I have in my one of my workstations: (Yes, it's still Windows 7 because reasons).
  7. Z

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

If you look back a few pages in this thread someone was talking about successfully using a 2.5G SFP+ transceiver in what I think was a 6610. It's about the transceiver.
  8. Z

List of NICs and their equivalent OEM parts

So I just used the latest Intel ProSet drivers... This particular workstation I'm still running Windows 7 on and I got the drivers from Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7* - Final Release, I'd assume anything on Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520-DA2 Downloads, Drivers and...
  9. Z

List of NICs and their equivalent OEM parts

For what it's worth, I bought a Fujitsu D2755-A11 based on this post and found it to be for all intents and purposes to be an x520 but tolerant out of the box of any SFP+ transceiver I tried in it. I was able to flash the latest iSCSI firmware to it directly from the Intel site and am using...
  10. Z

"40GBASE-Passive Copper" vs "40G QSFP(Copper-Pigtail)"

For the record, the pigtail cables seem to work just fine, at least in this case between an HP 649281-B21 flashed over to 544QSFP and the 40Gbit/sec ports on the ICX6610. To join the chorus of people who confirm these cables work, I'm now using two cables from an eBay listing titled " Genuine...
  11. Z

This is a guess but I'm betting it's because that transceiver plugs into a SFP+ port and provides 2.5Gbit/sec connectivity instead of 10Gbit/sec.
  12. Z

Newb question. Snip from the output of show interfaces. What do the egress queue numbers on the bottom mean, especially the "Dropped Packets"? I'm noticing hiccups here and there after switching my lab over to a 6610. 10GigabitEthernet 1/2/7 is up, line protocol is up Port up for 2 day(s) 1...
  13. Z

"40GBASE-Passive Copper" vs "40G QSFP(Copper-Pigtail)"

Relevant output of "sh media" on a Brocade ICX6610: Port 1/2/1: Type : 40GE-Passive Copper Port 1/2/6: Type : 40GE QSFP(Copper-Pigtail) 1/2/1 and 1/2/6 are both the 40G ports in the stack module, first cable is a Dell DAC-QSFP-40G-1M, Dell P/N 05NP8R, second cable is an Amphenol 112-00178+A0...
  14. Z

I knew I had seen a post about this. kiteboarder, since you have an instance of this failure where the heatsink isn't bonded to the chip underneath, if IIRC, fohdeesha was looking for the part number off of the top of that chip, ages ago - top of page 51 in this thread. Page 301 has my...
  15. Z

The conversation starting here sounds almost exactly like what I'm experiencing - including adding tagged vlans to them causing the links to go down and never come back up until the switch is reloaded. I think the conclusion was that the switch was bad, but could the fact that I'm seeing the...