Recent content by Zedicus

1. Z

Info on LSI SAS3408? Got myself a 530-8i on eBay...

i think that is the more common one, but the naming and slight card variants seems to be even more than what the 93xx cards were. fun times.
  2. Z

LSI 9300-8i SR-IOV

No i dont. The point has been stated a half dozen times. The driver has no usable exposure. Probably even cards newer than 9200 series have no firmware developed for this. And even 9200 series does not seem to be available. It was mentioned in a white paper. A demo was shown. Then it...
  3. Z

LSI 9300-8i SR-IOV

so the theory of how this works is you would get an SR-IOV device for each port on the HBA. so if you had an 8 port card you would have 8 LSI-9200-SR-IOV devices. and it looks like there MIGHT have been a publicly available firmware for some subsection of 9200 devices at one time. but any...
  4. Z

ESXi free 8.0 seems to be the last one !

Proxmox the others will frustrate you.
  5. Z

Fujitsu PRAID EP400i crossflashing - Failed to validate MfgPage2 - need adequate IT firmware

yuck, so the only fix i know of is using this guys patched EFI tool from EFI shell. hopefully you have a way of getting into an EFI shell on something you can stick that card in. direct link https://marcan.st/posts/lsi/sas2hax.efi info page...
  6. Z

Fujitsu PRAID EP400i crossflashing - Failed to validate MfgPage2 - need adequate IT firmware

those guides all mention wiping the card before flashing the LSI firmware so it should be possible with out needing an OEM firmware. also, every BAT file in the guide is just a txt with a one line command in it, it would be better to run the commands directly with out using them through the...
  7. Z

Esxi free is dead. Alternative?

why not actually spring for the VMWare Essential tier of product and just stay on VMWare? I understand budgets and all that, but the cost of finding, testing, and replacing a known good solution will likely be higher than just paying the Broadcom tax.
  8. Z

HP Z840 Upgrades or new build

If you wanted to go the EPYC route, i would go Siena 8000 series. All the percs of the 9000 stuff but lower power (and a little less core performance). But in most edge server use case, RAM and storage are more important, so the 8000 series would be the winner. The HP z6 g4 is honestly not a...
  9. Z

NVMe on Dell Precision Workstation T7910

8i cards are dirt cheap https://www.ebay.com/itm/374745317617 if you need a 16i card that is more difficult.
  10. Z

NVMe on Dell Precision Workstation T7910

in case you have not decided yet, the Athena is always on sale. i use them. https://www.newegg.com/athena-power-bp-15287sac-other/p/N82E16816119044
  11. Z

the guest filesystem will not be corrupted as far as ZFS is concerned. And the issue you speak of is the same as if you yank the power chord on a real PC, it is why server SSDs have PLP. It is not a problem of the hypervisor or filesystem, and is not fixable at the level of hypervisor or...
  12. Z

we did a test deployment with Hyper-V when we were looking at options to replace VMWare. It actually was high on our list of potential solutions as with our MS Enterprise Agreement at the time is was a cost effective option. The deployment worked fine, and one of the windows server admins said...
  13. Z

you have just stacked 2 band-aids on top of a paper cut. the VM OS does report a 'power cut' but there is no disk data out of sync from the ZFS. you are just taking a snapshot of that exact point in time (a RUNNING system) and then asking it to boot up again, the OS has to regain its...
  14. Z

mine regularly runs 400 days before i do any maintenance on it whatsoever. i JUST on Febuary 10th went from ProxMox 6.4 to 7.4. and upgraded RAM, moved to LSI 9400 series cards passed through to TrueNAS CORE. My day job is in I.T. and accross the board i have been VMWare free for over 5 years...