Recent content by zecas

1. Z

New Home Server Build : X11SRM-F + Xeon W-2135

Hi, I'm thinking about building a home server, the objective would be to provide a centralized storage to everyone the house, and at the same time having some additional services available. The idea would be to install proxmox, with some VMs and containers to provide the services and further...
  2. Z

Docker multi host setup

Hi, I'm planning on setting up some docker containers on my home and small business network, and since I'm not an expert, I looking for some opinions on how to do it the way I'm thinking about it. Basically let's say that I would prefer not to have a monster VM running all docker containers...
  3. Z

SSH Server : WinSSHD alternative on Linux

Hi, Currently I'm in the process of making some changes on a small infrastructure that is composed of a few old physical machines which I want to virtualise. One of those machines is an old Windows Server 2003, that has been hosting an SSH Server (WinSSHD, or Bitvise SSH Server, an old version...
  4. Z

Dell R720 and PC3L 12800R memory modules

Hi, I'm negotiating a purchase of a Dell R720 with the following specs: Dell R720 SFF with 16x 2.5" bays 2x Intel Xeon E5-2695v2 128Gb RAM Perc H710 Mini Raid Card The RAM memory is supposed to be PC3 10600R, but I can change it to PC3L 12800R memories, and I'm trying to understand what are...
  5. Z

Dell R720 iDrac : Express vs Enterprise

Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this thread about iDrac questions I have. I'm planning on buying a Dell R720 which is listed as having iDrac. Just that, it only lists as having iDrac. I will make some questions to the seller to understand which version we are talking about, but in...
  6. Z

Choosing the right UPS to a server

First of all, thank you both for your replies. There's never a simple and straight answer for this subject, isn't it :) That CyberPower chart comes handy, adding another UPS of 2200 just for comparison basically doubles the amount of time, but the price difference is also on the double :eek...
  7. Z

Choosing the right UPS to a server

Hi, I currently have the following server hardware, for which I'm searching for an UPS: SuperStorage 6027R-E1R12T Motherboard Supermicro X9DRH-7TF 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630V2 128Gb ECC RAM (8x Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800R ECC RDIMM RAM REG M393B2G70BH0-CK0) LSI SAS 9207-8i KIT 8-Port...
  8. Z

Inserting 2.5" SAS disk drive on a 3.5" caddy

Nice, that's very good to know. I read about problems when using a SATA 3.5" on a laptop, not because of the size but because of the lack of voltage provided by the laptop, so an external PSU was needed, but maybe it's because it's a SATA and it's a connection from a laptop. Was thinking that I...
  9. Z

Inserting 2.5" SAS disk drive on a 3.5" caddy

Hi, I need your help to understand if it's possible to connect a 2.5" SAS disk where a 3.5" SAS caddy is expected. I have a supermicro server with the following parts: - chassis: SSG-6027R-E1R12T - disk backplate: BPN-SAS2-826EL1 - controller: LSI SAS 9207-8i KIT 8-Port 6Gbps SATA+SAS PCI-E...
  10. Z

Finishing New Server Build : Time for SAS HBA IT mode card

Yep, probably only raid, it should have proper firmware in place. But as soon as I have opportunity, I'll boot into raid controller and check what appears. As for the second cable, I want to keep it as simple as I can, so I'll target one cable from HBA to backplane. I don't think I'll have any...
  11. Z

No, not me ... I got mine from ebay and chassis+mobo+backplane as described. I haven't checked out yet, maybe it comes in IT mode already ... :) must check how I check that ... eheh Let me see if I understand, I will only have one SAS cable from HBA to J0 connector on backplane. If I put...
  12. Z

I guess the main reason is basically scare to brick the motherboard :) and not able to revert it back if needed. My chassis did not came with those 2 drive rear bays, but I'll boot from 2 mirror SSD disks, which I was planning to install internally (somehow) and connect directly to SATA3...
  13. Z

Yes I believe so, and someone also told me around these forums that basically it's very easy. I guess I'm worried about something going wrong and bricking the motherboard, or even a future interest in reverting and going back to RAID (can't think of why I would want that at the moment). So...
  14. Z

Hi, I'm in the process of finishing a new server build for proxmox virtualization. The system is running memtest to check if I'm safe with those memory sticks, and so far so good, finishing 7th pass with 0 errors so far. At the moment, my new server build goes like this: - motherboard...
  15. Z

Windows Server : Rejoining new domain with same name, keeping profiles

That software seems pretty nice, I'll have to give it a try, thanks for pointing it. It's a pity that windows doesn't have any solution in place for this :/.