Recent content by zara654

1. Z

How to administer Asus GT-AX11000 when in AP mode?

I just know Asus has a bunch of proprietary technology in it, and that's why dd-wrt does not support the router. I had it in access point mode, and probably lost my ability to login as the ip address of my pc changed. I could not connect to the wireless broadband after the switch over. I'd have...
  2. Z

When I plugged the router in in access point mode to the modem, I was still able to connect to the internet through the lan ports. I'm guessing Asus has proprietary protocols in there making stuff possible that isn't typical in your standard access point.
  3. Z

Just hardware reset. Looking at the device it looks like the issue might have been I restricted logging in to the router to the ip address of my pc. Looks like that changed when I switched the router to an access point. I'll have to disable the security features once I have the new router setup...
  4. Z

I have it plugged in directly to my modem. Tried arp -a for the address. It's just passing my modem through, right? I should probably just factory reset, and load my backed up settings. Next time I try turning this into an access point. I should just get my lan port working on my OPNSense...
  5. Z

I just switched my AX11000 into AP mode. I can't seem to figure out how to connect to the admin UI. Previously, I have used router.asus.com:Port to login. I have tried 192.168.1.1:Port to get in too, but that did not work. I scanned the network with arp too, tried that ip address, and that did...
  6. Z

Is an OPNSense discount code available on the forums?

Some of these specialized shops offer coupon codes to forums, like Performance Pcs does for Overclock.net. Are there any coupon codes for the OPNSense shop available here?
  7. Z

I just need a firewall box, right?

I'm making sure since the naming conventions for routers and firewalls are confusing. It's since consumer routers have firewalls too, and the high end models offer fairly advanced firewall features. I think from a naming convention standpoint it should be something like router-firewall, since...
  8. Z

I just need a firewall box, right?

Just want to make sure I'm spending my money on the right hardware for my home business. Going to have a crazy amount of computers attached to this eventually, and also want something good for a long time. This can serve as both a router and a firewall, right?
  9. Z

Looking for server rack for quiet operation.

I was just thinking pick up Noctuas as their high speed fans can move a lot of air at lower speeds, and toss cooling units, like this, between every component. I don't need one of those rack mount coolers right away as it's initially just housing my switches towards the top. If CaseLabs was...
  10. Z

Looking for server rack for quiet operation.

I'm going to have this server in my living space. There's nowhere I can really put it in my apartment to not have loud fans. I found this, which seems perfect; but, that's also crazy expensive. I need at least 15U for two 24 HDD drive bays, two switches, some space between them, and probably a...
  11. Z

Anyone know if BSD Networks' switches are any good?

Yeah, that's what I'll be doing. Just using some unmanaged switches early on. This is why I don't trust them, "The lawful intercept backdoor program." I'm less worried about governments, and more worried some hacker will find a way in through stuff like this. As far as, I'm aware Juniper is far...
  12. Z

Yeah, I'm buying the Juniper from Juniper most likely. If they ever respond to my email to their sales department. This is a business expense. Any dime I give to them I can write off on my taxes. It sounds like with switches a lot of the manufacturers aren't very reliable. Also the Juniper...
  13. Z

Going with one of these for the router. Going with a Juniper for the actual switch, as I'd like to expand to 100 computers and need the network to be reliable and fast. Juniper supports python scripting, and seems to be a good choice as I'm coming from a programming background. I just don't know...
  14. Z

I need 24/7 up time. I can probably get a cheap UPS that shuts everything down in case of the rare power outage once every five years. Should I get a second switch for keeping this up? I'd go with a cheaper option. But, I've heard a lot of these companies don't stay up all that long. Last I...
  15. Z

I definitely want a BSD based switch. The BSD kernel is way more secure than a Linux Kernel. Those developers are paranoid. I bought a Cisco product, and found they collected a lot of customer information and have subpar security. Juniper is known for being BSD based, and has never had any...