Recent content by Yves

1. Y

What SFP28 25G for pfsense Homelab Firewall?

Okay, I check there quickly. It seams that they mainly use Intel. I went AMD since I am an AMD fanboy since Ryzen / Epyc etc. started. I am not sure if my AMD EPYC 3251 (8 Core / 16 Threads / base 2.5GHz / boost 3.1GHz) is better or faster. But it for sure can not do Intel QAT. But its a pretty...
  2. Y

I agree with you. I might have done this wrong since I could have asked the same question directly in the pfSense forum. Do you think its really that hard to get routing at 25G?
  3. Y

Hi all, I once again need the advice of the pro's. You all :) I am currently running pfsense 2.6 on a Supermicro M11SDV-8C-LN4F. But I need to upgrade to 25G. So I thought I asked you on advice and possible caveats on upgrading. Possible options are: - Dell 540-BCNI Card (hopefully just a...
  4. Y

What would your choice be Atom C3858 QAT or Epyc 3251 (OpenVPN / FreeNAS and a little VM)

@NathanM3 Thats a very IMPORTANT feedback you are just giving me here! Thank you very much. I just recieved a nice SYS-E300-9A demo unit from Supermicro. But I did not have time to test it out yet. I wanted to test QAT support on pfsense but seams like this is a NO GO... So I guess I would...
  5. Y

What would your choice be Atom C3858 QAT or Epyc 3251 (OpenVPN / FreeNAS and a little VM)

Hi there, Since I and google have not been able to figure this one out I thought why not ask you guys. I want replace my homelabs Edge Router X SFP with a more All-In-One Solution, but maybe I am dreaming of something non-existing... Since energy costs in europe are a strugle and I had to move...
  6. Y

Planing 40Gbps Ceph Cluster Lab Build - Gotcha / Pitfalls?

Hi there, Already almost hijacked the thread of boe so I thought I start a new one here. I wanted to learn / experiment and tryout building a ceph cluster as a storage array network for my ESXi compute cluster lab. So my idea was since I already have 24x 8TB HDDs from WD (buy one more so its...
  7. Y

Looking to go beyond 10g but very cheaply.

that sounds very very promising. I might do a short vision on my plans and post it somewhere in the forum. So if there are any pitfalls I dont see. Others might see them.
  8. Y

I totally agree with you. I also did not find a reliable / safe alternative. Only review I read so far which seamed promising where S2D from Microsoft. Regarding the switch I have to go a little bit of topic. My plan was creating / experimenting / learning ceph cluster. So I thought i use a few...
  9. Y

Yeah, was working on a few business projects. Not a lot of me time. Well vSAN. A topic I dont like to talk about :rolleyes: had to kill it :( I moved to making hourly backups of my lab machines. Performance hit was just to big with vSAN Wow perfect. Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback. So I...
  10. Y

@Rand__ long time no see ;-) thanks for the quick response. Well if I would use Cisco DACs? Or reprogramm the DACs for cisco? They "should" work...
  11. Y

I don't want to be rude an hijack this thread, but I ran into a similar question lately. I am trying to upgrade my homelab with a 40GB QSFP+ Switch. I saw a very very nice Cisco (N3K-C3164Q-40GE) but I am strugeling with the network cards. Since I never used more than SFP+ or 10GB -BaseT. The...
  12. Y

Intel Optane 900p - Lets go IOPS crazy

Hi there, Since I had the time to toy around a little bit more with my Fast-Tier Storage. I thought why not boot from one of my DC S4600 and just make a test of a stripe on two Intel Optane 900p. With very very crazy results... see for your self. 4k 0% Read 100% Random 4k 100% Read 100%...
  13. Y

VMware vSAN Performance :-(

Very nice values :-) the iSCSI datastore values are also nice. Did you do multiple connections or only one? I had better performance values with multiple connections and on the Tech White Paper the have some optimization settings starting on page 45 About that I just wanted to ask maybe I need...
  14. Y

To enlighten all with the idea I spoke of two days ago (which actually did not work as well as I had it in my head)... I doing some reading up on technical deep dives into VMware vSAN and saw that if you have a All-Flash vSAN setup the Caching Tier drive will only be used for read acceleration...
  15. Y

Well I hope I also get some feedback tomorrow about the small blocksizes... Also I took a re run at VMware vSAN... During studying the vSAN books some more and reading some more I found out something interessting... But I want to try it out first :) will keep you posted. Sent from my mobile