Recent content by ynari

1. Y

6Gb/s SAS with cache vs 12Gb/s without for JBOD software RAID

Great, clear answer then, thank you. SAS3, no cache! I may get an SAS SSD at some stage, but they're a bit expensive at reasonable capacities, even second hand! Now to confirm the HBA, there's some reports the PERC H330 isn't ideal for JBOD under FreeBSD, I'll have a search around.. At the...
  2. Y

6Gb/s SAS with cache vs 12Gb/s without for JBOD software RAID

I've an SAS drive, but no controller (yet), looking to change some SATA drives to SAS. (SSDs will likely stay SATA). Looking around there's a variety of options. All my disks are currently SAS 6Gb/s or SATA III. I'm thinking it's probably better to get a controller with cache, than go for a...
  3. Y

HDD Fail signal

On various SATA/SAS backplanes, notably the Icy Box/Raidsonic IB555SK, there is a 'HDD fail signal IN' connector and a note that this can be provided by the controller, to make the failure LED flash. I can't find any controller that supports this, and presume it's directly supported by the...
  4. Y

Chassis for high power build ideally with SAS2..

There is a comment here though that mentions the case is not really quiet SUPERMICRO CSE-747TG-R1400B-SQ Case Review Which is one reason why I'm pondering a normal ATX PSU and an enthusiast case, even if it means I lose power monitoring and makes adding SAS2 more tricky.
  5. Y

I haven't bought the motherboard yet, but I think I will. I was wavering over the Supermicro boards, but I want a board with IPMI, I like the full length slots on the Asrock, and I'm not happy with the limitations of the Intel boards, or want to go Asus.. Thank you for the recommendation of 3D...
  6. Y

Eight would be ok - I have four drives and two SSDs at the moment. You're right, there are a couple of 74X chassis. Unfortunately they end up pricing at 700-800GBP. I could live with 500-600 pounds, but more than that is becoming ludicrous and outside the amount I'd like to spend. All the...
  7. Y

I'm going to build a system with two E5 2690 processors (already bought) and an Alrock EPC602. I was hoping for it to be quiet, PMBus power supply, with an SAS2 backplane (drives are currently SATA2/3, but extra bandwidth and drives are always welcome). Struggling with a chassis as I have two...
  8. Y

EU ZyXEL-XGS4528F 24x 1G/4x 10G switch £68 crazy deal

How noisy is this, for anyone that has one? There are no details in the specification on noise - is it fanless?
  9. Y

Built in vs add on, and SAS cabling issues

I definitely hear you - I'm in the UK, by the way. The reason I decided to go for the 2690 is that it still has a relatively high clock speed, that doesn't seem to be bettered by later chips unless new instruction sets are used. Obviously for specific multithreaded loads the later chips are a...
  10. Y

At the moment it's just four hard drives in software (Linux mdadm) RAID10 backed by a RAID 1 SSD cache, because that's the maximum my current system supports. I'm open to more in the future possibly. The main reason to go SAS initially was to ensure 6Gb speed. At some point it would be nice to...
  11. Y

I've taken the plunge on a pair of fairly reasonably priced E5-2690 v1 cpus, now to get a board that comes with it. I want IPMI, 6GB/s SAS (currently using SATA, but SAS should provide more backplane/hot swap options, and is compatible), and dual twin slot GPUs , plus at least one other add on...
  12. Y

New E5 26xx vt-d server, thinking X9DR7-LN4F-JBOD and SC743TQ-1200B-SQ

Important question : I'm presuming the dual QPI 8G links compensate for the routing of PCI-e traffic between the processors. The X9DA7 has three PCI-e 16x ports (only two usable for dual slots due to position). One hangs off CPU1, the other off CPU 2, (the non dual slot capable third slot is...
  13. Y

The case is designed to take two GPUs, as is the psu, although it took me a while to find the right document : http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/files/power_supply/psu_cablelist.pdf pws-1k25p-pq. 2x 6 pin PCI-e, 4x 6+2pin PCI-e. Wavering over DA7 vs DRF-LN4F-JBOD, as I've realised the...
  14. Y

I'm Looking to jump on the cheap E5-26xx (either 2680 or 2690) dual Xeon bandwagon, for comparatively (compared to v4) cheap dual CPU goodness, with dual GPU passthrough to two separate VMs on Xen (currently dual Quadro 6000s (GTX480s reflashed), running on a much older system). I'm thinking...