Recent content by YetAnotherMinion

1. YetAnotherMinion

Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

PXE over the 1GB port definitely works. I have booted memtest86+ images, as well as Fedora 23 and Centos 7. You just have to wait for the PXE boot over the 10G card times out 3 times, before it will try the 1G port.
  2. YetAnotherMinion

I ordered two from esisonic, separately a week apart. The first one I got did not have HDD trays, had the mezzanine card, and no shrouds. It also had a power cable with Tyco Mate-N-Lok power connector on both ends. for the 200-277VAC input (which is pretty useless) as well as second Tyco...
  3. YetAnotherMinion

WTB: GPU rackmount server bones

@Manav Agarwal That chart is awesome. Thank you. @Jeggs101 nice find.
  4. YetAnotherMinion

WTB: GPU rackmount server bones

I am looking to build a Kaggle box using the 2 GRID M40s I got from Patrick. Ideally I am looking for something that is rack mountable, have LGA2011-R sockets and take DDR3 ECC because I have a lot of those right now. I also have several right angle riser cards as well, so I can orient the GPUs...
  5. YetAnotherMinion

Compact rack shelf system build

You might want to look at the open compute windmill nodes. Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack You can probably get twice the compute density than your setup. You do have to make a custom blade style chassis to fit them into a regular 19" rack, but if you do, you can fit...
  6. YetAnotherMinion

Has anyone tried connecting one of these open rack boards to a SAS drive using an adapter cable? I saw another thread with a tempting deal on SAS 2TB drives, and my other server take SAS so it would be nice to have all of the same.
  7. YetAnotherMinion

Does anyone know what the strange three prong white connector on the power supply is called? The one where all three pins are in a straight line, the outer two pins profiles are D shaped and the center pin profile is a circle. I received one chassis from eBay that has that connector on both...
  8. YetAnotherMinion

Running prime95, and using the ELC-1000 transformer, I see wall draw (measured with kill-a-watt) of around 390W per node with E5-2670. As for your wiring, you need to hook the power wires up in parallel. Your wall outlets work the same way, each socket is wired in parallel to the supply wire...
  9. YetAnotherMinion

FS: 8-10 NVIDIA GRID M40 Cards at 1/2 of ebay costs

I figured everyone in business will parallelize though, only hobbiest buying these accelerator cards would care about single GPU performance. Render farms, learning cluster, weather,... all business applications I can think of would love to parallelize to at least 8 GPUs in 3U.
  10. YetAnotherMinion

It looks like ebay price is falling by 33% now. I wonder what is happening on the supply side. Edit: Meanwhile the Tesla versions with less memory are going for 4x more. Is the premium for the newer architecture that much?
  11. YetAnotherMinion

I am interested in 2 for 1500 + shipping + fees. Is there a way to PM on here to setup payment?
  12. YetAnotherMinion

Dell C6220 2U Server too good?

Thank you Patrick for the tips. I already have cast my die with 208V-277V power by going with the windmill systems, so now its just a matter of finding the right balance of cheap hardware and size to take advantage of E5 sale.
  13. YetAnotherMinion

@Patrick Where did you find yours if I may ask? I just got into the build your own hardware and have been using the performance per price of the open compute windmills (LGA2011-v1 2670 + DDR3) as a reference point. The difference in socket on the c6220 is huge to me though, without a more...
  14. YetAnotherMinion

Natex is offering Dell C6220 2U Server w/3 Dell 0TTH1R nodes Dell C6220 2U Server w/3 Dell 0TTH1R nodes at $2.2k which seems really low for what the description seems to me to be including. This Dell C6220 server features: -3 x Dell 0TTH1R Nodes -6 x Intel Xeon E5-2650 2.00 Ghz. 20MB 8-Core...
  15. YetAnotherMinion

@NorCalm What do you mean by VGA1? My google is failing me. Right now I have a Quanta Windmill, installed RAM and CPUs, and got a HD6450 graphics card. I see the blue light, then the yellow light comes on and goes off shortly, leaving the blue light shining steadily. I do not get any output on...