Recent content by yaxisandxaxis

1. Y

Sandy Bridge E5's

What @ATS said. AVX workloads are a different ballpark. Keep within specs and you are fine. My 1U systems usually run warmer than my 2U and my 4U it depends on if I am trying to keep the box silent or not.
  2. Y

A few good 10Gb SFP+ switch deals I found $40/ port or less

Moving away from Cisco or Juniper I've found a few interesting switch deals in the past weeks: Fujitsu - Fujitsu XG2600 10 Gigabit Ethernet Switch XG2600A | eBay $800 but I bet you could get it for under $750 and Liquid8 is a good seller we've used many times. Description says there needs to...
  3. Y

ESXi 6.0 rather slow driver performance

These days with SSDs no issue using onboard SATA. Now normal performance on a busy system with vm exits is another story.
  4. Y

Nice cheap 1U servers

I don't post many great deals but these are selling for not much more than the cost of the case: ebay link: Supermicro 1U Server 6016T NTF 2X Quad Core E5540 2 53 GHz 16GB DDR3 2X 250GB 672042044801 | eBay The 250GB drives suck and the processors can be replaced with l5600's cheaply. They do...
  5. Y

Planned Mini-ITX Home ESXi Server Recommendations

I'd suggest using a USB drive to install ESXi on so you can have 6 SATA ports free for that.
  6. Y

Sandy Bridge E5's

How big of a case and what load?
  7. Y

PicoPSU Reliability

Great find. I wonder if anyone makes a dual power brick solution. Redundant power bricks?!? I know it sounds crazy but they are cheap enough it might be worthwhile to avoid the issue of one dying.
  8. Y

CPU cooling - water vs air, overclocking etc

Cheap Intel coolers if possible. I don't OC. I spend the extra money on CPU.
  9. Y

Proxmox 3.4 now integrated with ZFS

I'm inclined to try after the posting.
  10. Y

How much has this site "saved" you in 2015?

I don't think I actually save money. It's like when my ex used to tell me she saved $$$$ at Costco. I compared my pre-here what I would've spent on SSD and rackmount servers (7k) to what I did spend (4.5k) and that's a really nice fat of change to haul. And you peeps are fun too!
  11. Y

LOL @ this AD on this forum

Compared to many forums/ sites - I'd say STH uses way fewer ads. I don't even go to [H] because of how intrusive it is now.
  12. Y

12U Rack

Um @TeeJayHoward Backblaze?!?
  13. Y

What do people here use for video cards

I'm not into OC at all. BUUUT - @OP - if you are on here, you probably have a $300 router not some linksys POS and you probably have at least 1-3 NAS units each with SSDs and HDDs worth a pretty penny. You -> Keyboard/ mouse -> PC -> GPU -> Monitor Get whatever you want. I read reviews and...
  14. Y

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

They know something!
  15. Y

Supermicro SAS2308 - $125 OBO

LP bracket: Supermicro AOC S2308L L8I 6GB s 8 Port SAS SATA PCIe LSI 2308 LP RAID Controller | eBay I don't know if this is a super hot deal but it's $60 less than the next 2308 i saw and has a best offer.