Recent content by Xicaque

1. X

apple shares and windows shares

As the title says... I have a network that will have these two types of clients. I am not FreeNAS savvy and wondering if CIFS/smb is best for this combo. I plan to add a Linux box later on so will the CIFS/smb option work with Linux? Thanks.
  2. X

FreeNAS permissions problem

Fritz, got a link to your solution? Yes, the FreeNAS forum is full of smart A$$es and they tend to act like everyone is an expert with FreeNAS. Most of the moderators fall short to understanding that many are new to FreeNAS. Glad you got it sorted out. I am having some issues similar to you and...
  3. X

Hardware failures in 2017 - Post yours!

Are those IBM as/400 still in production? I remember those at my first job when I got out of the army. The owner was like jumping of joy as they upgraded from another unit (can't recall the model).
  4. X

Project GDC (Garage Data Center)

One hell of a price for that rack! You are lucky and I envy you :D:D:D:D I want a rack but damn! Some people are on crack! :mad: For what they are asking, I'd rather buy new.
  5. X

Help me understand IP addressing please

When will IPv4 become obsolete? Is such thing possible?
  6. X

@vl1969 Thanks for your reply! Exactly what I needed to know. I manage the switch now.
  7. X

Spring... kind of... Plans?

I am not doing any yard work until another month or so. It rains too much here. Drives me nuts. Currently working on upgrading one of my servers and getting rid off papers and crap that has collected in the home library. Getting ready to move soon.
  8. X

Forgot to ask something... The router, leave it dynamic or give it it's own static address? What about the 24 port switch? I have this one Netgear GS724T Thanks!!
  9. X

Thanks for your reply!!! I went to option 1 on the box and set that to static IP. No more issues there. I am leaning towards using /24. I do not think I will ever need that many addresses...lol. Appreciate the replies. Friendly forum unlike others.
  10. X

Thanks for the replies and links!!! Much appreciated. I am off to read those links. Keep them coming please! :)
  11. X

Hardware failures in 2017 - Post yours!

How about my Athena Power PSU? The second one just gave up the ghost. Still have warranty but upon further web searching, I've found some not so great comments on Athena. POS! I will trash it rather than having a fire. Ordered a Supermicro CSe-743T665B and decided to upgrade the case for one...
  12. X

Disclaimer: I am not an IT professional but I like messing/learning/building and making my wife mad as I spend $$$ on our home network. She thinks that having a huge rack server with tons of stuff is only for bussines environment. Well, not for me. So I will keep spending :) Currently, my...
  13. X

That is a tight squeeze there.... What model rack is that pls?
  14. X

Did not read all the posts but make sure to seal the floor or you will have dust for years to come.
  15. X

U-NAS NSC-810A mATX Chassis

@K D What power supply are you using with your UNAS? These cases are fine, but I hate that they get warm. I do not like warm. One of the 1U PSU gave up the ghost. I am looking to replace it but I am not too impressed with Athena Power. They suck!