Recent content by woodshop2300

1. W

FreeNAS is becoming TrueNAS Core

I for one like what you did back in August of 2019, you identified a market segment that that you could appeal too if only the audience wasn’t put off by the whole get a quote rig a ma row. You bypassed all of that put together a configuration that fits a purpose and slapped a name and price on...
  2. W

Dell EMC PowerEdge R240 Review 1U Entry Server

Playing with the builder on dells sight, these are a really nice value with the new E series and I love the high core clock. On the minus side RIP tax return, on the plus side yay E-2146G lol.
  3. W

Intel Atom C2000 AVR54 Bug Strikes STH Today

Lol I confused Frankfurt and Fremont. Where’s my morning coffee.
  4. W

Intel Atom C2000 AVR54 Bug Strikes STH Today

The thought on the street is that this data center is where the MMO FFXIV hosted its EU servers. They went down yeasterday as well and were much worse off then you in the end. All Chaos Data Center Worlds Technical Difficulties (Jun. 21): Follow-up | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone All...
  5. W

Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM / 10GbE

Huh, my FS one works just fine, its the uplink to the rest of my network. SwOS lists it as SFP-GB-GE-T, i think i got it as generic coded. EdgeSwitch lists that link as 1000 full no errors.
  6. W

Wiring Home Network w/ Fiber

What I feel is the best advice in these situations is to run conduit to every room. Then put in multiple runs of twine (string) so you have built in pull strings for later. Then install blank plates in currently unused areas. Now your set as best can be for the unknown future with minimal...
  7. W

Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT 10 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe Adapter Card ConnectX-3 CX311A $12 obo + $15 Shipping

Since the ConnectX-2 brackets work this probably would as well. Mellanox ConnectX2 Full Height Slot Cover by lowfat I’m still waiting on my printer from GearBest to show up in the country let alone my house. So it will be some time yet before I can try.
  8. W

Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT 10 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe Adapter Card ConnectX-3 CX311A $12 obo + $15 Shipping

Today i was able to take the short bracket off my MCX311A-XCAT and put it on my MNPA19-XTR and vis a versa. So ConnectX-3 and ConnectX-2 bracket swap. The only issue i had was with the plastic led light pipes on the ConnectX-2, those did not line up with the holes on the ConnectX-3 bracket. But...
  9. W

Performance hit for Intel systems on the way...

Ewww so they are doing all that context switching regardless then.. bet that becomes a kernel option really quick on the linux side at least.
  10. W

Performance hit for Intel systems on the way...

Yay intel scalable benchmarks round two!
  11. W

Got one of these last week at this price via auction though. They pop up from time to time. Mine showed up today (its very small), has a 1/2 heigh bracket, so now off to hunt for a full height bracket. The Mellanox store wants $16 to ship a $4 bracket lol, i say no.
  12. W

Need advice for Production Network Upgrade

The unms is beta, so I would shy away for production. It’s also meant for the air* products, so the WISP industry. (Wireless Internet Service Provider). UniFi is for your on premise wired/wireless WiFi stuff and is considered stable. The 2 would overlap a bit if you say wanted a wireless link...
  13. W

Need advice for Production Network Upgrade

That’s more or less how the Ubiquity unfi line works. They all connect to and are controlled by a central UI controller software.
  14. W

FS: Unifi US-16-XG

I would take 1 for $250. That would be $50 under the $299 beta price i believe, and the only reason I'm going that high on what is essentially a 12 port switch in light of the CRS317-1G-16S+RM is because this would integrate with my cloud key, you know, more pretty graphs more better.
  15. W

Intel RES2SV240NC 6Gbps SAS expander $49

Ebay intervened, orders canceled, refunds issued. Can say it comes as a surprise.