Recent content by Wolfstar

1. W

SOLVED: Identifying fans HP S6500 chassis

Okay, so if that's all accurate, WHAT QUESTION ARE YOU ASKING? Let me quote your original post so you don't have to scroll up to it: The answer is, "Check the documentation and visually compare the fan you need to replace with the part illustration in the guide." That is how you identify the...
  2. W

SOLVED: Identifying fans HP S6500 chassis

Did you bother to look at the picture? The two types of fans are very, very different physically and there are pictures illustrating the difference. There are only two types of fans for that system, so.... You literally have documentation telling you the proper fan, with a picture that is...
  3. W

1U Heatsink for AM4 and X470D4U?

For an Active 1U traditional cooler, you have really one option, and that's the A18. Anything else is going to be jury-rigged. Alternately you can go with the Dynatron L3 watercooler system. That said, with the Dynatron A37 out now and a standard 1U chassis with fan setup, I would be a bit...
  4. W

1U Heatsink for AM4 and X470D4U?

I'll be honest, I gave up on it and just stuck the X470D4U in a 3U chassis with the 3U cooler. If you're not using a server-layout board, then yeah something like a 40mm AIO (or the Dynatron) is likely the only option you've got for 1U.
  5. W

3U Supermicro CSE-836TQ Chassis (No caddies and shroud) $145 OBO

Query: In my experience most of the Golds and Platinums, at least below 1kw, are pretty quiet at idle. Are these? I know the SQs will be even quieter, but honestly as long as they're in the same range as the 501P-1Rs or 741P-1Rs I'm perfectly fine with that.
  6. W

1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Interesting. I have mine running at 80+w - fluctuates between 80 and 85 at idle with similar stats. I do have 4x2TB 7.2k drives, but that should be less than 20w at idle. Do you have any of the ethernet ports connected at that power draw? I do, but I'm only running one.
  7. W

Cockpit ZFS Manager

Awesome, thank you for the clarification. And yes, I'd be rather curious to know if they're deploying as well.
  8. W

Cockpit ZFS Manager

@optimans I vaguely recall seeing something about this, but I can't find it now. With the option on the welcome screen for a new setup "Remove packages that cause problems for ZFS" - what specific packages is it removing? Background: I set up a VM (originally) with the latest version of...
  9. W

PowerEdge T40 Tower Server

Jeez, yeah it does - don't blame you for thinking it was applied. Not cool Dell.
  10. W

PowerEdge T40 Tower Server

Is that before or after you apply the "349SummerServer" coupon code?
  11. W

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Yeah those won't work without a QSFP+ to SFP+ adapter. They're pretty good cards but you'd probably be better off with regular SFP+ cards starting off. Also, note that Cat 6 can do 10g, but it's distance limited. When you combine a distance limited cabling with a distance limited transceiver...
  12. W

See, you SAY that... but it's not actually true. Here's what you do: 1. Hook the run up to a standard gigabit copper port on the ICX. Make sure the other end is disconnected. 2. Run the command phy cable-diagnostics tdr X/X/X (insert the port you plugged into for the Xs). 3. Run the command...
  13. W

Nope, DACs don't have anything to monitor - at least not passive ones. (If you've got an active DAC, I suspect your wallet knew it when you purchased it.)
  14. W

Yeah, they work fine. There's even a command in the latest OS for the 7xxx switches (don't think it's backported to the 6xxx) that turns on the optic monitor data for unsupported transceivers if you want it to. I'm currently using a cheap off-brand adapter in my 6450 and it's working fine over Cat6.