Recent content by Wolfcastle

1. W

Vyos 10GbE Router

They now have a free license for lab/home use though, so pricing shouldn't affect anyone that isn't using it in production
  2. W

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Got it, thanks for the quick answer!
  3. W

Has anyone ever tried stacking a 6610 with a 7450 using the 40G port? Thinking I might try this but given the firmware version differences, not sure this will actually work. For now both my 6610 and my 7450 are functioning independently of each other and I am using the second 40G port on both...
  4. W

KAIAM XQX2502 + ConnectX-3 => NO CARRIER

Looks like there's a problem with your Tx side, there laser current but the optical monitors aren't seeing any power.
  5. W

If you want some pointers on the fan mod, take a look at my earlier post in this thread, the whole mod is painless to do. My 6610 and my 7450 (see other thread) are both happily running for months now. My PC is louder than my switches now.
  6. W

To be fair, I haven’t actually measured either of them but with no PoE load the 7450-24 is listed at 75W while the 6610-24 is listed at 120W. Fans are probably non negligible in both cases if you don’t swap them out since they’re > 10w each at full speed and you need a minimum 3/switch.
  7. W

7450 has lower bandwidth than 6610 but the newer software, lower power, and higher power PoE ports are pretty nice in certain applications. I agree with you that you need to find one that has the modules already otherwise it isn't worth it.
  8. W

ICX 7450 Fan Mod Thread

Yes, power for the PSU fan and a wire with the PWM signal back in so that the switch doesn’t complain about the fan speed.
  9. W

Totally worth it when you have a switch in your office!
  10. W

question please: I was given an IBM Emulex OCE11102 (work surplus) but it comes with transceivers...

OM5 should be better for >100G+ transmission in terms of supported distances. If the price is close may as well buy OM5, it is backward-compatible.
  11. W

question please: I was given an IBM Emulex OCE11102 (work surplus) but it comes with transceivers...

FTLX are Finisar (now II-VI) transceivers, this one happens to be rebranded as QLogic. A quick Google shows that this is a 10GBase-SR transceiver so you'll need LC-LC duplex multimode fiber. Don't buy OM1, like you linked directly, it is obsolete; instead buy OM4 (aqua) or OM5.(lime green).
  12. W

ICX 7450 Fan Mod Thread

Final result with a single 140mm 1200RPM Noctua fan and the power supply fan replaced by a 40mm Noctua (both at full speed). Note this I have a couple of 40G passive cables and an RJ45s connected now but no POE being used. Noise level under same condition from same location is approximately 44...
  13. W

6610 and 7450 24P both are the same fans/power supplies and quite loud. Power supply revision makes no difference to my ears. Can’t speak to the other models but anything that has Delta 40mm 23k RPM fans will be loud.
  14. W

See the ICX 6610 fan mod thread, basically you scribe and cut an acrylic sheet to size and mount a fan above the asic and/or CPU. I made the fan push air down onto the asic on my 6610 but I don’t think it hugely matters whether you’re pushing or pulling air if you’re not in a datacenter. The...
  15. W

I wouldn’t be too concerned about it, these rack nuts are designed to hold way more than the weight of that switch.