Recent content by WillTaillac

1. W

[FS] Supermicro AOC-S3916L-H16IR-32DD cards (3x available)

Hello! I have three Supermicro AOC-S3916L-H16IR-32DD cards. These are essentially Supermicro branded 9560-16i cards. They are pulls from brand new servers, and have never been powered on other than for the burn-in testing the vendor did. I have low-profile brackets as well, but only for two...
  2. W

Over a Decade Later Powerline Networking Still Sucks

With one exception; sometimes mesh routers include a dedicated radio for the 'backhaul' connection. When my powerline networking sucked, I bit the bullet and bought a 2-node mesh WiFi system that is tri-band. The 2.4 and 5 GHz bands are used for my client networking, while the 6E 6GHz band is...
  3. W

A Compact ASRock DeskMini B660W VMware ESXi Build

Why thank you! My personal and professional life for the last 2 years can sometimes be summed up as "I wonder what else I can get ESXi to run on" so this was right up my alley.
  4. W

Supermicro X13SAE-F W680 Motherboard Mini-Review

There are two unknown devices in device manager, both referring to Intel's ME, which I couldn't give two craps about. I did not even attempt to install drivers; perhaps they would have worked fine. As for stability, this is a system we do not allow to reboot very often due to its role. It's got...
  5. W

It depends really. As of this generation, I do not feel like either vendor is particularly well serving the 'small server/upsized workstation' market. Previously Intel had the Xeon E/W series, chips like the W-1290P, which was basically the same as the Core i series but with official ECC...
  6. W

I was referring to MY system specifically, and indeed it is running Server 2022.
  7. W

I would have to go back into the BIOS on my system running the X13, which I may not be able to do for a while (it's a fairly important backup server for me). With that said, I do not believe it supports XMP so even if you wanted to do 5200/5600 you would have to do all the timings manually. I'll...
  8. W

1. It really does run the memory at 4400 MHz. 2. I haven't tried any of the 48 GB DIMMs, but it's perfectly happy with 4x 32GB. My guess would be no to the 32GB DIMMs, but I don't have any of them to test with. 3. I haven't looked myself, but the official Supermicro FAQ says No. 4. The beefiest...
  9. W

Seagate FireCuda 540 2TB PCIe Gen 5 SSD Review

Just a note, this review has been updated to add some additional details regarding the anomalous ATTO test results.
  10. W

FS - US-TX - 4x Areca ARC-1886-16i Tri-mode RAID cards

I don't know if Areca warranties transfer. I do have access to the original receipts. Separate from that, I would of course accept a return if they were DOA. I can also test the cards on my end prior to shipping, if someone who pays wants me to do that.
  11. W

In no particular order: 1. Not everyone likes dealing with eBay. 2. I have four cards, eBay has one. 3. My cards are new, the eBay one is used. 4. I'm identifiable. I am on staff at STH. You can know who I am. My name is Will Taillac, not pretzel729. 5. If you buy through me, you'll either do...
  12. W

As the title says, I have 4x Areca ARC-1886-16i Tri-mode RAID cards These are unused; they were purchased for a server that it turns out they don't physically fit in (they are too long). No cables are included; just the card in plastic clamshell with both full height and half height brackets...
  13. W

[FS-US-TX] 15x 6TB HDDs

Sorry, I looked up 6TB drives on eBay and came up with the $50 based on that. I just tried looking up 10TB drives, and the only $60 10TB drives are parts-only listings. With that said, perhaps I was a bit overpriced, so I'll drop things a bit.
  14. W

[FS-US-TX] 15x 6TB HDDs

I've upgraded my home array, so my old disks are for sale. I've got 15x 6TB HDDs. 9x of them are Seagate Ironwolf ST6000VN0033 drives, one of which is a RMA return and thus labeled as recertified. 2x of them are Seagate Ironwolf Pro ST6000NE000 4x of them are HGST 0F26900 Their dates of...
  15. W

WTS Areca ARC-1883i

Areca ARC-1883i RAID controller. It is sealed in an anti-static bag. I will be honest, at some point I had a bunch of these, some of which were sourced from eBay. I cannot remember if this was one of the eBay ones or not, so I will not claim it is brand new or completely unused, but it is...