Recent content by WillTaillac

1. W

Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD Review This is FAST

Just note, I am not *torturing* these drives for this test. There are worse scenarios than a nearly-full disk write which is where my sustained write test comes from. 100% drive utilization for both reading and writing without ever letting the drive rest or TRIM will degrade performance further...
  2. W

Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD Review This is FAST

I've been informed by Sabrent that the last of the old drives were distributed in 12/2021. Unless some vendor has held onto inventory for that long without selling it, then anything you buy today should be the new version. Trust me, I would much prefer that this drive be called the Sabrent...
  3. W

FS: Lenovo ThinkSystem SR635 EPYC 7402P 'system', or part out

Here is a bit of an interesting one. I've got a brand new Lenovo ThinkSystem SR635 'system' for sale. It's a 1U server, the specific model is 7Y99A016NA and you can find all the SR635 info you want over here. System is in quotes for a reason; as confirmed, this thing is almost incapable of...
  4. W

Asrock X570D4U-2L2T Build

The x16 slot, x8 slot, and one of the two M.2 slots are all directly connected to the CPU PCIe 4.0 lanes, and the X16 slot supports bifurcation as well.
  5. W

ICY DOCK MB872MP-B Review – 12 bay M.2 SATA

Perhaps! I imagine that the hot-swap functionality will be host dependent, similar to the other NVMe ICY DOCK products I reviewed!
  6. W

Kingston A2000 1TB SSD Review

Ah. For the most part, I have difficulty blacklisting any particular vendor because so few of them make their own parts. I find it is generally easier to follow the specific components - preferring or disliking Phison controllers versus SMI controllers, as an example. Since other than the...
  7. W

Kingston A2000 1TB SSD Review

I did not encounter any issues, and generally do not update firmware without a good reason to do so. But Kingston has issued a firmware update that claims to address the Linux problem. https://media.kingston.com/support/downloads/SA2000_S5Z42109_RN.pdf is the release document regarding it, and...
  8. W

Intel Optane DC P5800X 800GB Workstation SSD Review

Your CDM results immediately show me that you did not encounter the same problems I did. That's why I blamed *my* specific test platform rather than holding it against the P5800X in general; it works for other people.
  9. W

While I can understand the logic, for the vast majority of the SSD reviews I have done I disagree. The reasoning is pretty simple; if someone buys and uses the SSD I am reviewing, they likely won't operate it under 'benchmark conditions', so I try to run my benchmarks with the drive...
  10. W

This one's a bit of a chunky boy anyways, even if such a laptop existed :)
  11. W

AliExpress Mini PC Xeon D1581 $450

Looks interesting enough to me! :)
  12. W

Hardware Failures in 2021 - Post yours!

Literally an hour ago, primary PC rebooted. Upon boot back up, rear panel audio is kaput. Brand new X570 AORUS MASTER mobo.
  13. W

ICY DOCK MB872MP-B Review – 12 bay M.2 SATA

And even when you use an adapter like the previous ICY DOCK products I reviewed that convert M.2 to a hot-swappable format, your host system still has to support NVMe/PCIe hot-plug to enable the functionality. SATA/SAS, on the other hand, enjoys near universal hot-plug support even on consumer...
  14. W

iXsystems TrueNAS Mini X+ ZFS NAS Review

I really just want to buy that chassis and put my own system into it. Mini-ITX with 7 drive bays accessible from the front? Sign me up.
  15. W

Asrock X570D4U-2L2T Build

I haven't investigated it for booting, or even on current-gen NVME RAID in any capacity actually. But in the past, anything remotely considered "software" RAID, like all consumer on-motherboard RAID implementations, was unsupported in ESXi or Linux in general. And by 'unsupported' I mean...